Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp is healthy, flavorful, and crispy, covered in the most delicious shredded coconut and lime coating! This makes for the perfect party appetizer when served with the homemade Thai chili sauce!
We are huge fans of seafood, and we try also love our Air Fryer! Every time we crave something crunch and crispy but at the same time healthy, we turn on the Air Fryer! Check out our Air Fryer Recipes for more inspiration and also our Sauces, this way you can fix a great dinner, side dish, or appetizer.
Healthy Coconut Shrimp Recipe
Air fryer Coconut Shrimp is definitely a favorite here. Instead of sweetened coconut flakes that are loaded with sugar with use, non sweetened shredded coconut! They add the tropical flavor that we all like without the extra unhealthy calories.
The recipe uses a bit of flour and panko bread crumbs, I like using this combo to create the most amazing crispy coating!
Adding lime zest takes these over the top, so I definitely highly recommend not skipping it! The garlic and the smoked paprika add some savory flavors to the whole recipe! If you would prefer it without the smokiness, just skip the smoked paprika. Add some cayenne pepper for extra heat.
The Thai Chili sauce is incredibly easy to make, all you need is just some Asian staples from your pantry and the sauce is fixed! Another option is to make an Orange Yogurt Sauce, just mix some plain green yogurt with a bit of orange juice, lemon juice, orange zest, and season it to your liking. The tropical flavors will go hand in hand with the Healthy Coconut Shrimp recipe.
How do you make Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp from scratch?
- Prepare the flour mixture: mix flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika in a bowl.
- Prepare the coconut mixture: In a different bowl mix the Panko bread crumbs with shredded coconut and lime zest.
- Make the egg mixture: add the beaten egg to yet another bowl.
- Coat the shrimp: Dip the shrimp in the flour mixture, after that in the egg mixture, and finally in the coconut mixture.
- Cook: Arrange them in the air fryer, don’t overcrowd, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Make the Sauce: Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, mix and serve.
- Change the Coating: You can make the coating to your liking. We added lime zest, but you can add lemon zest or orange zest. Use regular or smoked paprika. Add shredded lemongrass.
- Add cheese: In the coconut mixture, add some finely shredded parmesan cheese for a change.
- Make them Spicy: add a hefty amount of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Play with the Dipping Sauce: The dipping sauce can be adapted to your liking. Make it spicy, or go for an Asian Teriyaki Sauce.
How long does it take to cook frozen coconut shrimp in the Air Fryer?
While you can not make this recipe with frozen shrimp, you can still cook them in the air fryer if you are running out of time and need a quick dinner.
The key is to NOT overcrowd them, so the air circulation is good. Cook them for 5-7 minutes and 360 or 400 degrees F if the frozen shrimp is already cooked. For frozen raw shrimp, you may need 8-10 minutes. This will be enough for them to thaw and cook. To make them crispy you may need to add a few extra minutes.
How to serve Healthy Coconut Shrimp:
Serve it right away for the best results as the coating will be the crispiest right after cooking and you will be able to enjoy the full flavor and texture.
How to store leftovers:
The best way is to layer the cooked Coconut Shrimp in an airtight container and between each layer to have parchment paper. This way you protect the coating from sticking together.
Reheat in the oven or in the air fryer. If you use the microwave, the coating will get a bit soggier.
More Shrimp Recipes:
- Make sure the coating is well seasoned! Add garlic powder, paprika, or other spices and seasoning that you like.
- Use fresh shrimp!
- Preheat the Air Fryer and ensure that it is not overcrowded!
- Don’t skip the dipping sauce!
- For a sweeter version, use sweetened coconut flakes!
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (or to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 lb. large raw shrimp (peeled and deveined, tails on)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup full-fat plain yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon Thai sweet chili sauce
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
- In another shallow bowl, combine Panko bread crumbs, shredded coconut, and lime zest.
- Place beaten eggs in a third shallow bowl.
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Working with one at a time, dip shrimp first in the flour mixture, then into the beaten eggs, then in the coconut mixture.
- Place shrimp in the basket of the air fryer, do NOT overcrowd and bake until golden and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes if using raw shrimp, and 5-7 minutes if using cooked shrimp. Work in batches as necessary.
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients, stir to combine.
- Serve shrimp immediately with the dipping sauce and lime wedges.