Shrimp Rolls are easy to make with shrimp, butter, celery, lemon, green onions, pickles, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, buns, and a few seasonings. Prepare these in under 45 minutes for lunch, dinner, or as a filling snack.
This recipe makes a fantastic summer picnic treat or a nice cozy New England meal in the winter. Whatever the weather, buy extra shrimp and also make Bacon Wrapped Shrimp. Shrimp is so versatile as it can be dressed up in so many sauces and added to so many dishes, from appetizers to main courses. For example, mix up some of this tasty General Tso Sauce as a topping or a dip and you have a great appetizer.
Homemade Shrimp Rolls
The shrimp roll recipe is well-known to be a New England favorite but no matter where you live, these creamy delicious sandwiches are mouthwatering. Try them for a snack at the beach or out by the pool or add them to your favorite sides to make a quick and cool meal at home.
If General Tso sauce is not your favorite, try this sweet and sour sauce for a topping or dip. Another idea is to use some of the extra shrimp to make shrimp salad to go along with your rolls. This salad is a perfect combination of crunchiness and creaminess and is a healthy start to any meal.
For these quick and easy sandwiches, all you need is shrimp, butter, celery, lemon, green onions, pickles, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, buns, and a few seasonings. In less than 45 minutes you can have a fantastic lunch or snack.
Similar to lobster rolls, these are cooked in butter and after that, mixed with crunchy veggies, fresh herbs, and condiments. They are a great alternative to lobster rolls, as they are more budget-friendly. Print out the recipe so you will have it handy and pass it on to your friends and family.
If you are looking for more great finger food, make these Bacon Cheddar Ranch Pinwheels as an appetizer!
For precise measurements, check out the recipe card below. But here is a basic list of what you will need:
- Butter: We use unsalted, but you can use salted butter too, just make sure to taste and adjust the filling for salt accordingly.
- Fresh shrimp: The pink ones are best, and to make it easier, we prefer to use peeled and deveined.
- Celery: Fresh is always best to use, make sure it is crunchy and not soggy.
- Lemon juice: Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best flavor.
- Green onions: Again, look for beautiful and fresh green onions, also, use chives if you prefer them more
- Pickles: You can use dill or sweet pickles for this recipe.
- Mayonnaise: There are a lot of choices in the grocers or just make your own.
- Greek yogurt: Make sure to choose unflavored yogurt.
- Buns: The best buns to use are brioche hot dog buns, but the regular ones work as well.
How to make shrimp rolls from scratch?
- Peel and devein: First, make sure the shrimp are peeled and deveined. If you are using frozen, thaw them out by putting them in a colander and running cold water over them.
- Saute: Then, melt the butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and season as desired.
- Cook: Keep in mind that you only need to cook them for about two minutes on each side. Do not overcook or they will be chewy. Hence, when they are no longer translucent, they are done.
- Cool: After you have cooked them, remove them from the pan and move them to a large bowl. Use plastic wrap to cover and let them cool in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Chop: While you are waiting, take this time to chop the celery, onions, and pickles.
- Mix: After it is cooled off, take out the shrimp and add your other ingredients. Then, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve: Be sure to overfill the buns so you get plenty of flavors and textures.
- Store: Store leftover filling in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Chop: For a less chunky sandwich, slice them in half or chop them into bite-sized pieces.
- Flavored mayo: Also, you could try using flavored mayo such as garlic or onion mayo.
- Add mustard: Adding a teaspoon of Dijon mustard to the mix at the end will add a touch of tanginess.
- Sweeten it up: If you like it sweeter, add a teaspoon of sugar to the mixture.
- Change up the yogurt: For a different flavor twist, use a flavored yogurt like lemon or almond.
- Healthier: Make these healthier by omitting the mayo altogether and add sour cream or yogurt instead. Another option is to make some Homemade Tzatziki sauce and use it as the dressing.
- Low-Carb: Serve these in lettuce cups for a low-carb alternative. Alternatively, for a carb-smart meal, make your own keto bread.
- Ranch: Use Ranch dressing instead and serve them with some cheddar cheese and bacon on top!
- Spicier: Make the spicier by mixing in hot sauce and some chili sauce.
- Buffalo-style: Use buffalo sauce as the dressing and top these with crumbled blue cheese.
How to serve:
For the best results, we recommend brioche hot dog buns because they have the best flavor, they are soft, and they have a good consistency to hold a ton of filling. You always want to overfill the bun. Here are some other ideas:
- Before filling, brush the inside of the rolls with melted butter and toast buns until golden brown.
- Actually, you can use the broiler or grill for just a couple of minutes until they are crispy.
- Just put the mixture in a bowl or dish instead, and serve it as a dip with crunchy veggies and chips on the side.
- For a spicy kick, top them with jalapenos, red pepper flakes, or chopped chili peppers.
- Pile them up with toppings like bacon crumbs, grilled corn, pickled red onion, chopped jalapenos, crumbled blue cheese, or feta cheese. Check our hot dog’s recipe for more toppings inspiration.
- Make sure to have these with some Grilled Peaches on the side, for a complete summer feast.
- Make them New Orleans style by mixing in some chopped boiled potatoes, tomatoes, and some Cajun Seasoning.
Frequently asked questions
Can I use crab or lobster meat instead?
Actually, any kind of seafood can be used instead. Crabmeat, lobster (or imitation lobster meat), and even tuna are all fantastic ways to make your rolls unique. And if you are allergic to seafood, try turkey or chicken chunks instead.
What is the difference between New England and New Orleans shrimp rolls?
New England shrimp rolls are made just like this recipe but in New Orleans, things are a bit different. For instance, the New Orleans variety has tomato, potatoes, and Cajun seasoning. In addition, many of the New Orleans recipes call for hamburger buns rather than hot dog buns and that makes a big difference. Hence, you cannot stuff as much of the mixture into a hamburger bun.
More Picnic Recipes:
- If you cannot get fresh shrimp, frozen will do in a pinch. Just make sure it is completely thawed out before cooking.
- Also, instead of running water over the shrimp to thaw it, just place it in a bowl of cold water for five minutes.
- Pat the shrimp dry before adding them to the pan or it can make your dressing watery.
- For a healthy twist, boil the shrimp instead of cooking it in butter.
- In addition, adding a tablespoon of white vinegar can also be added.
- Another option is to use white wine instead of vinegar.
- Actually, you can add a variety of flavored liquids to your shrimp mixture for a flavor change.
Shrimp Rolls Recipe
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds fresh shrimp (peeled and deveined, if frozen thaw them first)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 stalks of celery (chopped)
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons very finely chopped pickles
- 1 tablespoon diced dill
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Cook the shrimp:
- Place a large skillet, over medium-high heat. Add butter and melt it.
- Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Don't overcook it or it will be tough and rubbery. If it is not translucent anymore, it's done!
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the shrimp and place it in a large bowl. Cool a bit and after that, cover it with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Once shrimp has relatively cooled, chop it and add it back to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Stir until all ingredients are well coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Scoop the filling into regular or brioche hot dog buns and sprinkle smoked paprika on top. If you want, add some chopped chives or green onions on top.
- Serve with lemon wedges on the side and french fries or a light salad.