Poultry Seasoning is super easy to make and perfect for chicken and turkey dishes. This is the winning recipe that will make any dish taste so much better!
Easy Poultry Seasoning Recipe
Poultry Seasoning is often sold in grocery stores or online. But, did you know that you can just prepare it right in your kitchen? Why buy when you have all the ingredients you need?! Also, it is way cheaper and more flavorful making it on your own, and you are sure to use quality ingredients.
This is why I am sharing with you this amazing recipe. Ever since I ran out of this versatile mix, I learned how to prepare it on my own so that it will never happen again.
All it takes is a variety of herbs and spices that may already be present in your pantry. This seasoning will elevate the flavor of pretty much any dish.
What spices are in poultry seasoning?
- The main spices are sage, thyme, and rosemary. Individually, these herbs make anything savory. But together, these can make poultry dishes more flavorful.
- The other spices that can be added are marjoram, nutmeg, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Also, marjoram works well in the roasted chicken dishes while rosemary and sage are best used in stuffing.
How to make poultry seasoning?
In a bowl, simply combine all the ingredients according to the prescribed proportions from the recipe card below. Then, mix evenly and put in an airtight container.
That’s it! This homemade recipe is that easy!
What is poultry seasoning used for?
There is no limit to where and how this mix of herbs can be used. It is super versatile, and will truly elevate the flavor of any dish.
Aside from using it in chicken and turkey recipes, it can be used as a rub in recipes for beef, veal, pork chops, and other red meats. Note that despite its name, this mix also pairs well with fish, and even vegetables. It can be used even for barbecue as it adds quite a rich flavor.
You can also put it in marinades or in stuffing for additional flavor. It can also be used in soups and pies.
How to use poultry seasoning?
If you are going to flavor up stuffing or soups, simply incorporate this mix.
But, if used as a rub, oil the surface of the chicken or turkey first and then, rub it in. Cover with cling wrap and then, leave it on for about 2 hours prior to cooking.
What can I use instead of poultry seasoning?
If you still have the herbs, you can substitute with just a few of them. Mainly, I will mix together rosemary, thyme, sage, and marjoram.
Just in case any of these are not available, my go-to replacement would be a simple salt, pepper, and garlic powder. In the rare case that I will not be able to complete the roster of spices that this recipe prescribes, this trio will be enough to add flavor to make a roasted chicken or turkey.
Can you make it in advance?
Sure, you can. Since all the ingredients in this recipe are dried, it will keep for a long time. Just make sure that it will not oxidize so much by transferring is to an airtight spice jar or container. It will last for up to 6 months!
- In case your ingredients are not ground, you can mix them all together still. Then, just use your mortar and pestle to ground everything.
- Also, you can use a spice grinder for an evenly ground mix.
- Feel free to add some more spices like cumin and cayenne for a spicier kick. Also, try changing up the proportions based on your own preference.
Prep time: 10 minutes Total time: 10 mins