Crack Chicken and Dumplings is a twist to the classic version! Still a hearty comfort food, this recipe will surely be a new favorite of your family! Check out the easy step-by-step video tutorial attached below.
With the weather getting colder and colder every day, we all need something warm. This is where this recipe comes in as well as our recipes for Lasagna Soup, Cheesy Potato Soup, and Cheeseburger Soup!
Crack Chicken and Dumplings
Crack Chicken and Dumplings is a new addition to our crack inspired dishes. The bacon-ranch-cheddar trio simply pairs well with chicken and this time, we tried it out with this classic favorite. And, it is so good!
This easy chicken recipe is perfect for those days when it is so cold outside that you just want to snuggle up inside and have a warm, hearty soup.
It has protein from the white meat, fiber from the veggies, carbs from the dumplings – all these are combined and balanced in one ultimate tasty meal.
This soup brings back memories from my childhood, too! This time, give it a twist by following this recipe!
What is Chicken and Dumplings?
It is a dish that is believed to have originated from the South during the Great Depression.
The white meat gives flavor to the broth. The white meat is then shredded. And then, the dumplings, which are pieces of dough, follow.
This dish also has vegetables that make it more nutritious. And herbs season the soup, too.
In this recipe though, we are adding bacon, cheddar, and ranch to enhance the flavors.
How do you make Crack Chicken and Dumplings?
For a quick tutorial, please watch the short video attached. However, the general steps are as follows:
- Cook the bacon: In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon until crispy. Then, take it out and set aside. Remove the excess fat.
- Brown the white meat: Season the breasts with salt and pepper and then, cook them in the same pot. Just brown the sides, no need to cook them thoroughly. Then, remove the meat and place it on a plate, cover, and set aside.
- Prepare the broth: In the same pot, melt the butter. Then, cook the onions and then, the garlic. Add a third of the flour, stir continuously for about a minute or two. Add in the cream slowly while stirring until combined. Add in the broth, the herbs, and salt and pepper.
- Cook the white meat: This time, put back the white meat, and then, let the broth boil and simmer. Once cooked, take the pieces out and shred with forks. Season with ranch dressing, salt, and pepper.
- Make the dough: In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients first, and then, the wet ingredients.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: Add the shredded meat in the broth. Scoop in the dough and drop it in the broth distributing it throughout the soup. Add in the frozen peas, then, put the lid on. Cook on low heat for about 15 minutes, occasionally stirring to prevent anything from sticking at the bottom. Stir in the cheese until it melts.
- Serve: You can serve it once the dough pieces are cooked. Garnish with bacon and green onion.
How do you tell if dumplings are done?
You can take out one from the pot. Cut it in the middle and check if it is cooked thoroughly inside. It must be fluffy and not doughy.
What sides go with Crack Chicken and Dumplings?
Here are my suggestions:
- mashed potatoes
- roasted carrots
- microwaved sweet potatoes
- French green bean salad
- steamed broccoli
- dinner rolls
How to Store leftovers:
- Refrigerate: It must be safe to consume within 3 to 4 days in the fridge. Remember to let it cool completely first before putting in an airtight container.
- Freeze: Freeze the dumplings and the soup separately in individual freezer bags. Squeeze out excess air then, seal. Consume within 3 to 4 months.
- To reheat: Thaw everything overnight in the fridge and simply reheat everything on the stove.
- You can add more vegetables like carrots and celery, or whatever it is in season.
- To make the dough gluten-free, you can substitute the flour with gluten-free pancake mix.
- If you do not have buttermilk, you can make one by following this buttermilk substitute recipe.
Crack Chicken and Dumplings
Crack Chicken and Dumplings is a twist to the classic version! Still a hearty comfort food, this recipe will surely be a new favorite of your family!
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 45 mins
ADD THE DUMPLINGS: