Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings is the perfect winter comfort food. It is super easy and quick to prepare and it tastes unbelievably hearty and flavorful.
This is definitely one of our favorite meals to make when cold times hit. Also, it is very convenient, because you throw the ingredients in the slow cooker and when you come back, you will have a nice bowl of delicious and comfort food waiting! It does not get any better than that! For more comfort foods try our delicious Cheeseburger Soup, Baked Potato Soup, and Stuffed Pepper Soup.
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
This easy crockpot chicken and dumplings is what we always eat when we crave a comforting bowl of deliciousness. We love making our biscuit dough from scratch because it gives this dish a homemade taste and a richer flavor. However, if you are short on time, and want a simple yet elegant meal, go with canned biscuit dough for the dumplings.
This recipe has that classic taste that everyone loves. It never disappoints, and the slow cooker makes the job so much easier. The meat is cooked to tender perfection in the slow cooker in a rich and creamy sauce. We add some veggies to it for color and extra flavor. However, if you are not a big fan of veggies in it, feel free to leave them out.
How to make Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
This homemade recipe is very easy to make, especially if you are using a canned biscuit. It is broken down into two parts: cooking chicken and cooking biscuits.
- Start with a couple of pounds of chicken breast (thighs will work as well).
- Then, add some onions, garlic, and cream of chicken soup and broth to the slow cooker.
- Season everything with poultry seasoning, parsley, some salt, and pepper.
- Give everything a quick stir and then cover the slow cooker, and cook it on LOW for approximately 7 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours.
- About 1 hour before serving (after 6 hours of cooking time on LOW), open the lid and using a couple of forks shred the meat and give everything a good stir.
- Next, add sliced biscuits on top, and closed the lid as quickly as possible.
- Cook for an additional 1 more hour on LOW or until the biscuit dough is cooked.
- That’s it!
HOW DO YOU MAKE DUMPLINGS FROM SCRATCH?
- Put some baking powder, flour, and some salt in a medium bowl.
- Then, melt some butter and add it to the mixture.
- With a fork stir the mixture until it has a crumble-like texture.
- Next, add some buttermilk and stir the mixture together to make a soft dough.
- It’s that simple!
CAN YOU MAKE CROCKPOT CHICKEN DUMPLINGS WITHOUT CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP?
Yes! Traditionally this meal is made with cream of chicken soup because it gives it a rich and flavorful taste. However, you can skip it, or replace it by using broth, half & half, and a touch of flour. This will also make the soup creamy.
CAN YOU PUT FROZEN CHICKEN IN CROCKPOT?
It is not recommended, and I would not do it. Technically you’re not supposed to cook frozen chicken in the crockpot due to food safety issues. Therefore, it’s better to avoid it and use fresh or thawed poultry.
HOW TO FREEZE CHICKENS AND DUMPLINGS?
Before freezing let it cool completely. Then transfer the soup to an airtight container, while putting the dumplings in a separate bag. Squeeze out the extra air, and place both in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost before consuming.
- When using the crockpot, it is really important to open the lid as little as possible, and that the vegetables are completely defrosted.
- Also, not all the slow cookers are the same, and the cooking time might take longer to cook than others. So you may have to adjust the time a bit depending on that.
- Make sure not to overcook the biscuits. They should have a soft, slightly doughy dumpling-like texture.
- For additional flavor, add about 6oz of sliced portabella mushrooms during the last hour of cooking.
- You can serve the dish as is, or over a pile of mashed potatoes. Either way, this dish is super good and delicious!
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- black pepper (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen vegetables or peas and carrots
- 1 package biscuit dough (homemade or refrigerated)
- Add all of the ingredients (EXCEPT FOR the biscuit dough and frozen vegetables) to a 6-quart slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for about 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- When chicken is cooked through and tender, use two forks to shred the meat. Stir to combine.
- Discard bay leaf, then add in the vegetables and stir.
- Cut biscuits into small pieces, then stir into the mixture. Spoon liquid over any biscuits at the top.
- Cook for an additional 1 hour on HIGH or until vegetables are tender and biscuits are cooked through.
- Biscuits should be light and fluffy when finished.