Chunky Mashed Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Absolutely delicious and easy to make Chunky Mashed Potatoes topped with fresh green scallions and a drizzle of olive oil make the perfect side dish.
Chunky Mashed Potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes, we make it a lot at our house. First, it’s very easy to make, usually we have tons of leftovers, which is always a winner. Second, our toddler adores his Chunky Mashed Potatoes especially when topped with some sour cream or cottage cheese. Third, the toppings and flavors are endless!
- Caramelize some onions until they are browned and soft and mix them into the Chunky Mashed Potatoes
- Caramelized mushrooms, caramelized onions and a bit of truffle oil add amazing flavor and also make the dish more gourmet
- Crumbled bacon – is also a winner and always seems to be a crowd pleaser
- Tons of black pepper and grated cheddar cheese – for Cracked Pepper Cheesy Chunky Mashed Potatoes
- Green scallion and olive oil for a fresh taste
- Sour cream , green scallion and cheddar cheese
- Cottage cheese for a protein boost
- Mashed cannellini beans mixed in, for a protein boost
- Caramelized onions and garlic topped with crumbled potato chips
My secret to perfect Chunky Mashed Potatoes are actually choosing organic potatoes and leaving the skin on, it adds such a nice texture. Never leave the skin on if the mashed potatoes are not organic! Also, I love using whole heavy whipping cream to add some nice creaminess to the mashed potatoes.
This version is topped with chopped fresh green scallions and a drizzle of organic olive oil, I think its such a perfect combo and it goes well with most the main courses, we served these with fish and a veggie sauce and it was amazing, so stay tuned next week for a delicious fish recipe that my husband made for us on date night.
- 3 lbs russet or Idaho potatoes, washed well but not peeled
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, warmed in the microwave
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup chopped green scallions
- Drizzle of organic olive oil
- Cut the potatoes into halves, this will help the potatoes boil quicker.
- Place the washed potatoes into a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 30 - 40 minutes. To check if the potatoes are done, insert a knife or a fork into the center, the potatoes should be soft but not falling apart.
- Once done, drain the water, place the pot over low heat and add the butter and half of the warm cream to the pot. Using a wire masher, mash the potatoes until almost smooth, leaving some chunks.
- Add the rest of the warm cream little by little, and stir. Season with salt and pepper, taste and adjust.
- If you want the potatoes more creamy, stir in a little more warm cream.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, top with freshly chopped green scallions and a drizzle of olive oil.
mmmm potato yumminess!