Crockpot Whole Chicken is perfectly tasty, juicy, and tender! Make it with just a handful of spices, aromatics, and vegetables using this easy recipe!
Whenever I serve this at home, mealtime becomes a feast! My family enjoys it with other easy crockpot recipes like Slow Cooker Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and Crockpot Stuffing!
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Recipe
Crockpot Whole Chicken is what I prepare when I don’t have much time to make a decent meal but still want a hearty and healthy one. It is easy to assemble, set, and just forget about it for hours! I get to do other things away from the kitchen as this dish cooks ever so slowly.
But the time that it takes to finish this dish is also the same reason that it comes out tender and juicy! The flavors from the nest of vegetables meld well with the natural taste of the bird. Dry-rubbing the spices directly on the meat also intensifies everything!
This dish looks so put together and with a nice presentation, anyone who is served with this would think that much effort is put into it! But the recipe is completely the opposite! So, if you want some roasted chicken and gravy as a bonus, then, this recipe is perfect!
Can you cook a whole chicken in the Slow Cooker?
Yes! The crockpot is fully capable of cooking a whole bird if the bird fits in it. So, always consider the size of the pot when buying the poultry for this dish.
Is it safe to cook a whole chicken in the crockpot?
The only requirement for a dish like this is to achieve a safe temperature for eating it – that is, at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the USDA.
The crockpot can achieve this, and it helps that you cook on HIGH for at least an hour. This is so that it reaches this temperature faster and sustain it.
I would recommend thawing the bird completely if it is frozen. This way, you can be sure that it will achieve the prescribed temperature.
How to cook chicken in the crockpot?
- Make a nest: At the bottom of the pot, arrange the veggies and herbs to act as the nest for the bird.
- Prepare the poultry: Remove the giblets and neck, dry the bird thoroughly, and rub with the seasonings. For the seasonings, simply combine the ingredients in a bowl. Also, stuff the bird with lemons, herbs, and aromatics.
- Cook: Set the bird on top of the nest of vegetables prepared in the pot, breast-side up. Then, put the lid on and set to either LOW or HIGH.
- Broil: If you are a fan of the crispy skin that is perfectly brown, then, do this optional step. Brush olive oil on the skin, then, put the bird in the oven to broil for another 5 minutes. You can also broil the veggies, just add around 3 more minutes for them to roast well.
- Carve: Allow the bird to rest for about 15 minutes, then, carve.
- Make the gravy: Collect the drippings at the bottom of the pot and transfer them into a fat separator. In the pan, add butter and flour to make the roux. Do not forget to season to gravy with salt and pepper! Then, serve while still warm.
How long do you cook a whole chicken in the crockpot?
It depends on how you set the crockpot. But, typically, a LOW setting will last for about 6 to 8 hours. Otherwise, the HIGH setting will last for about 4 to 5 hours.
What to do with leftover chicken?
Use it in any of these equally amazing recipes:
- Tuscan Chicken Pinwheels
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Crack Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- Chicken Fried Rice
How to Store:
Simply refrigerate it for about 3 days, covered in an airtight container.
- You may use this recipe for a homemade Italian Seasoning.
- If your crockpot is not available, you may want to use this Instant Pot recipe instead.
- There is no need to add water and still be able to keep it juicy.
Juicy Crockpot Whole Chicken
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 8 hours Total time: 8 hrs 30 mins
Stuffing the Chicken:
Cooking the Chicken:
For Crispy Skin and Vegetables:
Nutrition informationCalories: 441 Carbohydrates: 17 Protein: 29 Fat: 29 Saturated Fat: 9 Cholesterol: 119 Sodium: 949 Potassium: 651 Fiber: 3 Sugar: 3 Vitamin A: 4084 Vitamin C: 21 Calcium: 58 Iron: 2