Beet Salad is a show-stopping dish that’s as flavorful as its bold colors suggest. Serve this fancy-tasting dish with entrees, sandwiches, or enjoy as a meatless main course!
The earthy, hearty, and fresh flavors of this recipe go best with rich dishes like my Wine Roasted Beef Tenderloin and Honey Butter Ham. For a lighter meal, pair it with our Oven Roasted Mahi Mahi. Other delicious options are brisket, duck, and an oilier fish like mackerel.
Healthy Beet Salad Recipe
Beet Salad is an outstanding starter, and it tastes as fabulous as it looks. To be perfectly honest, I wasn’t too fond of them growing up. If you’re like me, your first taste of these red bulbs was probably the bland, magenta-colored stuff that came in cans. Fresh beets finally won me over, and now I can’t get enough!
When prepared properly, they have such a special, earthy sweetness. This recipe is so simple to make, but the results are elegant enough to serve at a dinner party. It also makes for a great packed lunch during the weekdays, and so easy to make in large batches for potlucks.
Expect this versatile dish to be a hit wherever you go!
Is beet salad healthy?
Definitely. In fact, every serving is packed with impressive health benefits. They are a great source of Vitamin C, iron, folate, fiber, magnesium, and other nutrients. As part of a healthy diet, it can help reduce blood pressure, boost cognitive function, prevent dementia, and enhance athletic performance.
Additionally, this recipe is pretty low in calories which makes it waist-friendly! It’s a tasty way to cut back on calories without settling for boring tossed salads.
How to cook beets in the Instant Pot
If you love beets but hate how long they take to cook, try my game-changing recipe for Easy Instant Pot Beets! All you need is an Instant Pot and some water. Feel free to adjust the time to achieve your desired crunchiness or softness. Once cooked, you can use them ASAP, or freeze them to have on-hand as needed.
What do you need to make beet salad?
You’ll need classic dressing ingredients such as acids, olive oil to emulsify the dressing, and greens for this recipe. I use lemon juice, orange juice, and balsamic vinegar balanced with a bit of honey or maple syrup to really perk up this dish. The pine nuts and pomegranate seeds add a nice bite, while the sharp goat cheese rounds it all up.
Make sure to use a big enough bowl so you can toss all components together. Use a spinner for the mixed greens to remove excess moisture.
How to Make Beet Salad
- Prepare. Measure, chop and prepare all the ingredients. You may prepare the beets in advance.
- Make the dressing. Whisk the dressing ingredients in a bowl.
- Assemble. Toss the dressing with the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve. Serve in individual plates, or family-style so everyone can help themselves.
Can you make a beet salad in advance?
Yes. Once you’ve pre-cooked and frozen them, you can simply thaw out the portions you need. As for the dressing, you can mix it up ahead, and shake well just before using. Prepare the rest of the salad ingredients and assemble right before serving.
There are so many ways to switch up this classic! For instance, use feta instead of goat cheese.
Add your favorite nuts like pistachios, walnuts, and almonds. Fruits like apples, cherries, and raisins do a great job of intensifying the natural sweetness of this recipe.
For the greens, the peppery kick of arugula complements this dish well.
More Delicious Salads:
- Arugula Strawberry
- Classic Potato
- Creamy Grape Salad
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- Classic Waldorf Chicken salad
- You can use a mason jar to emulsify the dressing. Place all the ingredients inside, and shake well until the dressing becomes homogenous. It also works as an instant container for leftover dressing!
- You can prepare most of the dish components up to three days in advance.
- Wear a pair of gloves for peeling the bulbs and avoid staining your hands.
- Adjust the timer on your Instant Pot to achieve your desired doneness for the beets.
Beet Salad Recipe
- 6 oz baby spinach (fresh)
- 6 oz mixed greens
- 3 beets (cooked and diced into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup goat cheese (crumbled)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
Balsamic Vinegar Salad Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add dressing ingredients to a medium-size bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Store in a mason jar in the fridge if not using immediately. Shake before using it.
- Add salad ingredients to a plate, starting with the spinach and greens, top with the dressing.
- Toss and serve.