Last updated on August 15th, 2021 at 06:49 amJump to Recipe
Easy Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe [Video]
Air Fryer Asparagus is seasoned with herbs and spices, then air-fried until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. An Easy, tasty, and healthy side dish that goes with any main dishes.
Air Fryer Recipes are our favorite especially when it comes to perfectly roast vegetables with little oil, and without heating up the kitchen. For other tasty air-fried veggies, try our Crispy Brussel Sprouts, Cauliflower, and Cabbage Steaks!
Roasted Asparagus in the Air Fryer is a quick and easy recipe that can be used as a healthy snack or as a delicious side dish. The asparagus stalks are crisp-tender and seasoned with paprika, powdered spices, dried herbs.
They taste just like oven-roasted asparagus, except there’s no hot oven or baking pans to deal with! And did we mention, they take as little as 6 minutes to cook?!
This dish is incredibly healthy and made with simple ingredients. You can enjoy them no matter what diet you’re on. Finally, you can also spice them up by adding other seasonings, making them crispy, add more!
This is our new favorite way to cook these veggies and get a perfectly crispy asparagus texture. Air Fryer Roasted Asparagus is a delicious and healthy side dish that is also Keto friendly. It is the perfect alternative to oven roasting or grilling them, at a fraction of the time.
- Fresh Asparagus: You can easily find them at your local grocery store.
- Seasonings: We’re using a delicious combo of Italian dried herbs, onion and garlic powder, a dash of smoked paprika, and as much fresh-ground black pepper and kosher salt you want. A little olive oil allows all the seasonings to stick to the vegetables.
How do you make Air Fryer Roasted Asparagus?
- Clean and trim asparagus: First, rinse the veggies under cold water to clean out any dirt. Then, pat dry them using a paper towel. Place them on a cutting board, and trim the ends about an inch up from the bottom.
- Season. Next, in a large bowl, mix the herb-spice blend along with a little bit of oil. Toss the cleaned and trimmed stalks to coat.
- Cook. Lastly, place them in a single layer at the bottom of the air fryer basket. Then, air-fry at a hot 400 degrees F for about 6 to 10 mins.
- Serve. Enjoy hot!
- Mexican: Skip the herbs, and add cumin, chili powder, and cayenne. Or mix in some homemade taco seasoning!
- Cajun: A dash of Cajun seasoning infuses these veggies with Southern flair.
- Other herbs: Also, feel free to add your favorite seasonings. A great addition would be red pepper flakes, ranch seasoning, sea salt, dried oregano, thyme, and dill. etc.
- Other seasonings: Try lemon pepper, Old Bay, white pepper, lemon zest, or curry powder.
- Crispy: Add some plain panko or seasoned bread crumbs to the seasoning mix.
- Parmesan cheese: Shred or grate some parmesan, mix into the spice mix, and coat.
- Spicy: Add 1 tsp. of cayenne.
- Butter: For extra richness, substitute melted butter for the oil.
Is asparagus healthy?
Yes, it’s very nutritious. Firstly, it has tons of fiber, which means it’s great for your digestion and helps you feel full for longer. In addition, it’s also packed with different vitamins like K, C, and A, plus folic acid, thiamin, potassium, and more.
This yummy vegetable has also been found to help lower blood pressure and boost weight loss. Finally, you can include it in many types of diets as well, including keto, whole 30, and paleo.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you cook asparagus in the air fryer?
Yes, and it’s well-suited for air frying. First, it’s sturdy and can withstand high-heat cooking and the cooking time is greatly reduced.
In addition, it is a very healthy and a great way to cook these veggies because less oil is used compared to deep frying or oven-roasted version.
But at the same time, you end up with the same crispy texture on the outside, while the insides turn tender. It’s actually our favorite side dish!
Can you overcook it?
Yes. When overcooked, they become mushy and unappetizing. That’s why it’s important to follow the cooking times. Air-frying them for 6 to 10 mins. will give you perfectly done and tender stalks with a little crispiness.
How do you cook it without losing nutrients?
Moist cooking methods like steaming, blanching, and microwaving can allow nutrients to leach out of the veggies. To retain as many nutrients as possible, roast them like we love doing with cauliflower, carrots, bok choy, cabbage, and many other vegetables.
Should you soak asparagus before cooking?
We suggest you do so for a few minutes in cold water. This will help get rid of any sand or dirt remaining in the stalks. A quick 5-minute soak will do it.
How do you know when it is done cooking?
When perfectly cooked, the color will turn brighter and more vibrant. You’ll also notice the tips becoming dark brown or even a little charred, especially when you’re roasting it.
How do you choose asparagus?
Look for firm stalks that stand up straight. In contrast, skip the wilted or limp ones, and stalks that are too soft. They should be bright green, and the tips should be compact and closed.
How to serve this side dish?
These roasted asparagus spears are amazing with just a squeeze of little lemon juice or lime juice. However, they’re the perfect side for most entrees, too.
For instance, pair them with the following:
How to store leftovers:
After they’re completely cool, transfer leftover asparagus into a well-sealed airtight container. Then refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Also, for the best texture and taste, we suggest finishing them within 3 days. Pop in the microwave to reheat, or air fry at 425 degrees F for a few minutes.
To freeze, store them in a freezer-safe container, and freeze them for up to 3 months.
More delicious air fryer recipes:
- Feel free to garnish them with some crispy bacon. Also, you could add some bacon strips directly into the air fryer and cook alongside the asparagus. This would be a keto-friendly main dish!
- Alternatively, serve them with some balsamic vinegar on top. Very deliciouos!
- You can also cook other veggies in the AF. Some great alternatives would be crispy broccoli, cauliflower, Hasselback potatoes, brussels sprouts, corn, etc.
- Prior to cooking, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
Air Fryer Roasted Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian dried herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges for serving
Follow me on InstagramFollow
- Rinse asparagus and dry well with a kitchen towel.
- Slice about 1/2-1 inch off the bottom and discard.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the seasoning ingredients in a bowl.
- Arrange asparagus on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil and the Seasoning mixture
- Arrange it in the air fryer in one layer, work in batches if needed.
- Cook for 6-10 minutes or until tender-crisp and lightly roasted on the outside.