White Pizza Casserole is a delicious blend of cheesy white pizza sauce, pasta and lots of pepperonis, baked to crispy perfection in a casserole dish. Check out the short video tutorial below and learn how to make the best pizza casserole!
Casserole recipes are a staple around here, they are easy to make and usually make enough leftovers that you don’t have to worry about cooking dinner the next day. My other favorites are Cheesy Crack Chicken Casserole, Chicken Hash-brown Casserole. and Chicken Spaghetti Casserole.
Cheesy White Pizza Casserole
White Pizza Casserole is such a delicious dinner that is easy to make and feeds a large family. I can never say no to cheese and pasta and if it would be my way, I would probably survive on pizza and ice cream. Well, I do love greens and healthy meals, but pizza and pasta are my weaknesses.
Now, wouldn’t it be great if the two were combined, by making a White Pizza Casserole from pasta? That is one delicious decision that you will not regret. This easy meal is always a hit, its cheesy, with a crispy pepperoni top, and all the flavors of a tasty pizza in casserole form. Kids will also fall in love with this casserole.
This recipe is so easy and adaptable that you can add your favorite mix-ins just like you would choose them to top a pizza. The combinations are endless, you just have to use your imagination and use the ones you like more. I am a huge fan of adding just pepperoni.
We also like this casserole with spicy jalapeños, sausage, and chicken. You can make it vegetarian by mixing in mushrooms, tomatoes and a handful of fresh spinach. Or transform into a Margherita casserole by adding 1/3 cup pesto and cherry tomatoes, top it with fresh buffalo mozzarella for the ultimate cheesy top!
- Use quality pepperoni, it will make a huge difference in this dish.
- If you prefer the casserole spicy add jalapenos, or add some hot sauce into mixture.
- This meal is loaded with cheese, don’t skip it, its what makes it so creamy and comforting.
- Mozzarella cheese can also be substituted with provolone cheese or sharp cheddar. For a spicy twist, use Pepper Jack.
- You can add sliced mushrooms or black pitted olives to this dish.
Can you use other meats to make this Casserole?
Absolutely! You can substitute pepperoni with chicken, turkey or bacon. The cooking time might vary as well based on each meat type.
How to freeze and thaw this Cheesy White Pizza Casserole?
To freeze, cover pan tightly with plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to cook, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove cover and bake at 350 degrees for about 30-45 min.
Looking for more cheesy recipes? Check these out:
- The Ultimate Cheese Ball
- Million Dollar Cheese Dip
- Creamy Parmesan Chicken Spinach
- Chicken Jalapeno Casserole
- Best Chicken Spinach Lasagna
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 50 minutes Total time: 1 hr
- 4 cups dry penne pasta (cook based on package directions)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 oz pepperoni's
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream (warm)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano (chopped leaves only)
- 1/2 cup parmesan (grated)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet or saucepan over low heat, add butter once almost melted and diced onion and cook until transparent, about 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. T
- Add the flour and stir to distribute flour. Increase heat up to medium and cook for a minute or two stirring continuously.
- Slowly stir in warmed cream in a slow drizzle and stir constantly to avoid lumps.
- Bring cream mixture to a very slight simmer and cook until it thickens slightly.
- When the sauce is the consistency of a gravy, season it with fresh thyme, oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Remove it from heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
- Cook penne pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Add cooked pasta, 3/4 of the pepperoni's, 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and the white pizza sauce to a large bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9x13'' pan. Sprinkle 1 1/s cups of mozzarella cheese on top (you can use more or less cheese), top with remaining pepperoni pieces.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbling.
- For a golden brown top, broil for the last minutes of baking.