Slow Cooker Beef Teriyaki is very easy to make and a perfect weeknight meal. Just add all the ingredients to the crockpot and cook, and I guarantee you will enjoy it!
Easy Slow Cooker Beef Teriyaki
Slow Cooker Beef Teriyaki is one of my favorite meals to make in the crockpot. This dish is such a time-saver, also budget-friendly. Teriyaki gives this dish an Asian infused flavor because it’s sweet, and not too salty, which perfectly combines with beef in the crockpot.
This Beef Teriyaki is the first Asian beef recipe I had the kids try and it’s since led to a large variety of recipes they enjoy. This homemade recipe is very tender and flavorful, you can serve it with rice or over noodles.
Makes enough to feed a large family and the leftovers are delicious. Made with simple ingredients, this meal is always in rotation. Serve it with steamed broccoli or a large green salad on the side.
What is Beef Teriyaki?
Teriyaki is thought to have originated from Japan. It is mostly referring to a cooking method and can be used with other various meats. Today, this dish is known worldwide and can be found on pretty much all Asian restaurants menu. In our recipe, we used the same cooking technique where beef is glazed with soy sauce, mirin, and sugar.
How do you make Teriyaki Sauce?
Teriyaki sauce is very easy to make, usually, you combine 1 cup of water with brown sugar, soy sauce, honey, garlic, and ginger in a medium saucepan and put over medium heat.
Once the mixture starts to simmer, combine in a small bowl 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and whisk until dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan. Heat the sauce until it thickens to your desired thickness.
What to serve with Beef Teriyaki?
This dish goes well with pretty much everything. We like serving it over
- Coconut rice or simple white rice
- Steamed broccoli
- Soba noodles, or any other types of noodles.
- Roasted bok choy
- I always say this, but a good meat-centered meal starts with quality meat, preferably use organic meat for this meal.
- Also, cut the beef into 1-1 1/2 inches chunks, so they hold their shape after cooking.
- Similarly, cornstarch is a key ingredient in here, do not try to replace it with flour, the results will not be the same.
- I used a LOT of garlic in this recipe, we love garlic in our family and I think it works really well with the sweet and salty flavors. Feel free to useless if you are not a huge garlic fan.
- In addition, you can add red pepper flakes for the dish to be spicier.
- For even more flavor you can add some fresh ginger as well.
- Using fresh ginger and garlic will add amazing flavor and taste to the sauce.
Tools/Ingredients I used to make the Slow Cooker Beef Teriyaki Recipe:
- Crockpot – very reasonably priced and definitely a kitchen must-have if you are busy.
- Cornstarch – I prefer using cornstarch instead of flour to thicken sauces, and this organic brand is my favorite.
Watch Recipe Video:
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 8 hours Total time: 8 hrs 10 mins
- 2 - 3 lbs. stew meat (cubed)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 8 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 medium carrots (diced in 1/4 inch rondelles)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 cup Teriyaki sauce
Add cubed beef and cornstarch to a gallon sized freezer bag and shake well until the meat is well coated in cornstarch.
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, followed by the beef covered in cornstarch. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 8 hours.
If the sauce is too thin and you prefer a sticker, thicker sauce, mix 1/4 cup of beef broth with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and add it to the slow cooker. Stir gently to combine and cook on low for another 30 minutes. The sauce will thicker as it simmers.
- Serve over rice.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.