Last updated on June 18th, 2021 at 09:38 pmJump to Recipe
Mexican Stuffed Peppers Recipe [Video]
Mexican Stuffed Peppers are filled with ground beef, green chiles, rice, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning. This is the perfect dinner to have any night of the week.
The Best Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Mexican Stuffed Peppers is one of those dishes that will make everyone in your family happy. It is an easy recipe to make, but very flavorful and filled with Mexican-inspired spices. This is basically the classic version of stuffed peppers, with a southwestern spin to it.
We love making it during the week because they are absolutely delicious and they can be prepared ahead of time
This meal is healthy, satisfying, and filled with delicious and rich flavors. We used various pepper colors to give it a more festive look to it. However, you can use whichever kind you have on hand.
The pepper is loaded with ground meat, like pork and beef, green chiles, taco seasoning, enchilada sauce, and cheese. Also, we have added some chili powder to give the filling a little kick to it. Serve them with some sour cream, fresh cilantro, and extra salsa for garnish.
How to make Mexican Stuffed Peppers?
They are super easy to make and require little preparation time.
- Start by stuffing the bell peppers with the filling (made with ground beef, pork, and rice).
- Once filled, place them in a baking dish and top with enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Then, simply bake for about 35 minutes till cooked and cheese is melted.
- Top them with your favorite toppings and serve.
- It’s that easy!
Recipe Variations and Substitutions:
- Feel free to substitute quinoa or brown rice for white rice.
- For Low Carb Stuffed Peppers use cauliflower rice. It is a great substitute for regular white rice. The cooking time will vary a bit since the brown rice usually cooks longer.
- Use ground chicken, pork, or turkey in place of ground beef.
- Additionally, you can add jalapenos, black beans, corn mushrooms, grape tomatoes if you feel like mixing things up.
- Use a mixture of cheese you like the most. We have used cheddar cheese for topping. However, any others will work just as fine. Such cheeses as mozzarella, pepper jack are also blending nicely with this recipe.
- For Vegetarian Mexican Stuffed Peppers, simply swap the chicken for a 15-ounce can of rinsed and drained black beans. Also, for even more flavor and color, add some corn to it. It is super delicious!
- Dairy-Free Stuffed Peppers. Omit the cheese and top the finished peppers with lots of creamy avocados instead, or guacamole. Also, feel free to use a dairy-free cheese alternative.
Can you make stuffed peppers in the instant pot?
Yes! Making this recipe in the instant pot is a great option. We have already an original recipe on our blog and can be accessed by clicking this link.
Please note, the Instant Pot version is for the classic recipe, therefore make sure to use the ingredients from this post for the Mexican version.
How to make stuffed peppers in THE SLOW COOKER?
- To make this dish in the slow cooker, simply follow the same instructions as in the recipe card.
- Then, place the filled peppers in the Slow Cooker, and top with either tomato sauce or marinara sauce.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of the Slow Cooker.
- Lastly, cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
Want to make Taco Night?
This recipe works great to make Taco Stuffed Pepper as well. All you need is to add some lettuce, taco seasoning, onion, tomato, and jalapeno. Then, simply top it with sour cream or homemade guacamole.
Can You Make Mexican Stuffed Peppers Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! The beauty of this recipe is that you can make them ahead of time. You can cook these fully following the recipe and then reheat them when you’re ready to eat.
Also, you could fill them with the mixture, and cover then refrigerated for up to 24 hours before baking. If preparing ahead of time, be sure to let the beef mixture cool before filling the peppers.
More delicious Mexican Inspired recipes:
- As stated above, this recipe is very versatile and can be made with various other ingredients and flavors. For example, feel free to swap the meat with chorizo bulk sausage. Also, use any type of cheeses you love the most. Some great ones to use for toppings are Cheddar, Jack, or a Fiesta blended cheese.
- You can easily double this recipe, by doubling the ingredients.
Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- 4-5 bell peppers a variety of colors
- 2 tablespoon canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 4oz can diced green chiles
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice white or brown
- 1 cup enchilada sauce or more tomato sauce
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese divided
Follow me on InstagramFollow
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease with olive oil a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- Wash and remove the seeds from the bell peppers. Cut them in half lengthwise and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Once the oil is hot add onion and cook it stirring for 1 minute. Next, add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add ground beef and pork, use a wooden spoon to crumble it and cook it until no longer pink. Drain grease.
- Add taco seasoning, tomato sauce, and diced green chiles. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir and let the mixture simmer for 2-3 minutes, remove from heat add it to a large bowl.
- Stir in cooked rice and 1 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Use a spoon to stuff the bell pepper halves, press the mixture well. Arrange them in the prepared baking dish.
- Cover with foil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, discard foil and to the pepper halves with enchilada sauce dividing it equally. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cheese on top and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve garnish with sour cream and cilantro.
Enjoy weekly hand picked recipes and recommendations