Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon (VIDEO)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon is one delicious meal that made in a fraction of the time. Tender, melt in your mouth pieces of beef, cooked with veggies in a wine broth.
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon is such a delicious dish, full of tender beef that has been cooked in the most amazing wine broth. Lots of tender veggies and fragrant herbs to elevate the flavors of this dish. The beef is so tender it actually melts in your mouth. The veggies are perfectly done and make this a hearty meal. That amazing sauce is delicious on mashed potatoes. Or even better, use some crusty bread to soak in the sauce, and enjoy every drop of it.
This is the best Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon I have ever had. It is bursting with flavors and aromas, perfect if you want to impress some guests or just craving a comforting meal.
Pressure Cooked Beef Bourguignon Recipe Tips:
- Use good quality meat, because a centered meal starts with quality meat, preferably use organic. I used stew meat.
- Similarly, look for fresh meat, that has a bright color, and lots of marbling, the marbling is essential to get great flavor and tenderness.
- Cut the beef into 2 inch chunks, so they hold their shape well after cooking.
- Browning the beef is essential, it will lock the flavor and the beef juices and also elevate the meat flavor.
- You can also add a cup of chopped celery.
- Also, for spicier kick, add some red pepper flakes.
- If you want to make this dish without the wine, you can replace it with beef broth.
Does the alcohol from wine cook off in the Instant Pot?
When you are cooking with alcohol using a Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot) or slow cooker, the alcohol won’t evaporate as when you were cooking on the stove-top. The alcohol is sealed in this case, and only a portion of it will evaporate into steam. Therefore, the dish should only be served to adults.
What wines pair well with Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon?
- A nice, fruity red wine such as Zinfandel or Syrah will pair nicely with the flavors in this beef dish.
- If you’re looking for a white option, Riesling or Pinot Grigio are always great matches for bold, somewhat spicy dishes.
Can you freeze Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon?
Yes, this dish can easily be frozen. Let the sauce from Instant Pot cool completely before freezing. Transfer into freezer-safe containers or heavy-duty freezer bags and add the beef and broccoli. Make sure the sauce covers at least partially the beef, so t won’t dry out. Label with the date, and freeze for up to 3-4 months, or longer if you use a deep freezer.
What is a 10 Minutes Natural Pressure Release?
A Natural Pressure Release means that the pressure is released gradually. For a Natural Pressure Release, you click on Keep Warm, and wait 10 minutes, after which you open the valve and let any leftover pressure to release. Another option is to Turn Off/Unplug the pressure cooker, wait 10 minutes and after that open the valve. A natural release is usually used when cooking soups, meat in a large amount of sauce, pasta or steel cut oats. This method prevents for any foam from the dish to shoot out through the valve, which can happen during a Quick Pressure Release.
Pin This Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon Recipe to your Favorite Board
Tools/ingredients that I used to make the Best Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon Recipe:
- Instant Pot – I use it all the time, I have the 6 quarts one. It makes weeknight meals so much easier.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon:
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon is one delicious meal, made in a fraction of the time. Tender, melt in your mouth pieces of beef, cooked with veggies in a wine broth.
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds stew meat cut into 1 1/2 - 2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 1 sweet yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped into 2 inch chunks
- 8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms trimmed and quartered
- 1 cup celery chopped - optional
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 pound mini potatoes or Yukon halved
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch thyme tied in a bundle
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Add beef chunks to a large bowl, sprinkle flour, salt and pepper onto it. Stir to combine.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select Sauté. Once Hot add oil to the pot.
- Once the oil is hot, cook the beef in batches 2-3 minutes on each side until nice and brown.
- Remove the beef from the pot, cover with foil and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion to the pot and cook for 1 minute, add the garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cup of beef broth, and using a wooden spoon scrape well the bottom of the Instant Pot to remove any bits that stuck to it, make sure you scrape it well to avoid burning during cooking.
- Add the beef back to the pot, add tomato paste, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add chopped carrots, mushrooms and celery if using. Add wine and potatoes.
- Make sure you don't go over the Max line of your pot.
- Add dried rosemary, thyme and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Add a bunch of fresh thyme on top.
- Close the lid and seal the valve. Cook for 35 minutes on High Pressure. Once the Instant Pot beeps, do a 10 Minute Natural Pressure Release.
- Release manually the remaining pressure.
- If you want the beef bourguignon sauce to be thicker, mix corn starch and water in a small bowl until fully combined.
With the IP on Saute, add the mixture to the pot and gently stir, trying not to crush the veggies. Cook for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Serve and enjoy.
Use Yukon potatoes if you are looking for the potatoes to hold their shape better.
Made this Recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram and tag me at @sweetnsavorymeals or hashtag it #sweetandsavorymeals.