Air Fryer Banana Chips [Video]
Air Fryer Banana Chips are healthy, crispy and the perfect family snack to enjoy any time of the day. Making them at home is easy and budget-friendly, not to mention that they contain tons of vitamins and dietary fiber!
Crispy Air Fryer Banana Chips (Tostones)
These Homemade Air Fryer Banana Chips can be made either with bananas or plantains. Both versions are delicious and healthy, The main difference would be that plantains have a slightly greener color, are starchier, and are not as sweet.
To make these chips, you can go with either one. The end result will be equally delicious. Unlike the store-bought chips, these do not contain any preservatives or added sugar. They are vegan and gluten-free. Also, they are quite easy to make and versatile. You can easily adjust the flavors and use various seasonings, such as turmeric, vanilla, cinnamon, or spices.
These are super crispy and yummy snacks that both kids and adults will love. In addition, they are healthy and can be served as a side dish to meats and fish. Alternatively, feel free to serve them as toppings on ice cream, yogurt, fish tacos, or burritos.
This dish requires just a few simple ingredients. In addition, feel free to use your favorite seasonings here. You will need:
- About 2 ripe and firm bananas (or plantains)
- Olive oil or coconut oil
- Seasoning: salt, and pepper or brown sugar
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
How to make Crispy Air Fryer Banana Chips?
- Preheat the AF: Set the cooking temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the bananas: Peel and uniformly slice them into about 1/4 inch thick chips. You can also use a mandoline cutter instead. Once cut, season with some salt and pepper, and lemon juice.
- Cook: Place the sliced bananas in a single layer in the Air Fryer, and cook. Repeat step until all slices are cooked.
- Serve: Enjoy warm as a snack or with your favorite dish.
How to make banana chips in the oven?
Making these chips in the oven is equally easy. Follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven: I love cooking them at about 400 to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare the bananas or plantains: Then, peel and slice them uniformly.
- Season: In a bowl, add the freshly squeezed lemon juice and sprinkle some salt and pepper. Mix to combine the seasoning, then brush the sliced bananas to absorb the flavors.
- Layer and cook: Next, place parchment paper on a baking sheet, and arrange the chips in a single layer. Also, you can use a rack. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the color turning brown on the edges.
- Serve: Remove and enjoy warm!
Flavor variations and substitutions:
These healthy, homemade snacks can be easily adjusted to satisfy your own taste. There are plenty of ways to serve and season them. Here are some great suggestions:
- Turmeric: Add some ground turmeric for extra flavor. Not only does turmeric tastes amazing, but it also has plenty of healthy benefits.
- Spicy: To add some heat, add some smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, or chili powder.
- Brown sugar: Feel free to sprinkle them with some brown sugar for a sweeter taste.
- Lime: Substitute the lemon juice with lime juice.
- Other seasonings: Garlic powder, taco seasoning, ranch seasoning, or cajun seasoning will all work great here.
Which banana is the best to use?
You can use anything you have on hand. I tend to go with ripe (but not overly ripe) and also firm bananas or plantains. This way you end up with crispy chips that are not soft or mushy.
What is the difference between banana chips and plantain chips?
Both are pretty much the same thing. The main difference is that plantains have a greener color, are starchier, and are a bit more caloric. You can use either one in this recipe.
What to serve with Air Fryer Banana Chips?
They are perfect as a healthy snack, or on top of yogurt or cereals.
How do you store the chips?
The great thing about them is that they store well for quite some time. Prior to storing, let the chips completely cool. Then, transfer to an airtight container. They will store at room temperature if properly sealed for up to 3 weeks.
More Air Fryer Recipes to try:
- Ensure to slice the bananas uniformly. For this, it is best to use a mandoline slicer. This will ensure an even cooking process.
- Also, do not overstock them when cooking. It is best to arrange the slices in a single layer and cook them multiple times. This will result in crispy chips.
- You can always cook them for a few more minutes to achieve extra crunchiness.
Air Fryer Banana Chips
- 2 ripe and firm bananas or plantains
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar for a sweet version
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Olive oil or coconut oil spray
- Pinch of salt
- Ground black pepper optional
Follow me on InstagramFollow
- Preheat the Ais Fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Peel and uniformly slice the bananas into about 1/4 inch thick chips and place in a large bowl. You can also use a mandoline for this.
- Season with lemon juice, salt, pepper (optional), and brown sugar.
- Arrange the sliced bananas in a single layer in the Air Fryer basket. Spray lightly with coconut oil spray.
- Air fry for 10-12 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Repeat with the remaining slices.
Enjoy weekly hand picked recipes and recommendations