Last updated on October 14th, 2021 at 06:51 amJump to Recipe
Slow Cooker Lasagna
Slow Cooker Lasagna is the ultimate comfort food with the least work. All made in the crockpot with a flavorful beef mixture, uncooked lasagna sheets, spaghetti sauce, and lots of cheese. In fact, it may just be the best lasagna recipe there is because it is so easy.
If you are short on time or ingredients, try this Slow Cooker Lazy Lasagna instead. It is just as good but easier using frozen ravioli. Or try something different with this hearty Easy Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup. But if you need your dinner in a hurry, make it fast with this Ultimate Instant Pot Lasagna recipe.
Making traditional recipe lasagna can take a lot of time to prepare the original way. With a few minutes of prep time, you can have this slow-cooker lasagna recipe in the pot and be on your way to work or wherever you are going. By the time you get back, your dinner will be ready.
If lasagna is a family favorite in your house like it is in mine, you will appreciate this easy lasagna recipe that feeds the whole family.
If this is your first time making this easy slow cooker lasagna, you will find that this is the easiest lasagna recipe there is. All you need is some noodles, ground beef, cheese, sauce mix, and some seasonings. Here is the complete list but scroll down for the exact measurements.
- Ground beef: Lean ground beef is best.
- Lasagna noodles: Uncooked regular noodles are fine.
- Spaghetti sauce: Store-bought or try this instant pot recipe.
- Onion: Small, finely diced.
- Garlic: Four cloves minced.
- Chicken broth: Or try this recipe for homemade chicken stock.
- Ricotta cheese: One container.
- Mozzarella cheese: Shredded.
- Parmesan cheese: Grated fresh is best.
- Egg: Extra large or large are both fine.
- Italian herbs: Store-bought or your own version.
- Basil and parsley: Freshly chopped.
How do you make slow cooker lasagna recipe?
- Brown: To start, crumble ground beef and brown it in a large skillet.
- Add: Then, add the garlic and onion before cooking for two more minutes.
- Drain: After draining, add the spaghetti sauce, chicken broth, Italian herbs, and basil. Stir well while on low heat.
- Mix: Next, in a large bowl, mix the ricotta cheese with two cups of mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, egg, pepper, and parsley.
- Spray: Meanwhile, spray the slow cooker with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Spoon: Then, spoon one cup of meat into the bottom of the slow cooker and top with one layer of uncooked noodles.
- Add: After that, add a layer of cheese mixture on top of the noodles.
- Repeat: Repeat layers, ending with a layer of meat sauce on top.
- Cook: Lastly, replace the lid and cook on low for four to six hours. The total time may vary depending on your slow cooker, but all of the liquid should be absorbed, and the noodles should be soft.
- Top: When it is done, add the remaining cheese on top and put the lid back on for 10 to 15 minutes so the cheese melts.
- Meat: Alternatively, add other meat like Italian sausage, ground turkey, or chicken. Be sure to cook sausage well.
- Sauce: Try this recipe with other sauces like your favorite pasta sauce or marinara sauce.
- Spice: Toss in some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper for an extra kick of heat.
- Add: Add a cup of mozzarella cheese to the top of the lasagna for an extra cheesy meal.
- Make it Mexican: Use taco seasoning instead of Italian seasoning for Mexican lasagna.
How to serve:
This easy crockpot lasagna is going to be one of your favorite dinner recipes. There are other crockpot lasagna recipes but this one is the easiest and tastes the best. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Serve this with a cool side salad like this juicy pear salad.
- Garlic bread or French bread would be perfect on the side.
- These soft and fluffy dinner rolls are also a great accompaniment.
- Add a frosty glass of mango lemonade or orange Julius.
- For a boozy meal, try this boozy apple iced tea.
Can I put dry pasta in the slow cooker?
You can use dry pasta in the slow cooker as long as there is some kind of liquid in there for the noodles to absorb. There is no need to boil lasagna noodles before adding them to this easy slow cooker lasagna recipe.
In fact, it is better if you don’t boil them first or they will get mushy. Just place regular lasagna noodles in when the recipe calls for it as you make your layers.
Do you have to cook the meat before putting it in the lasagna?
Yes, you will need to cook your ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat on the stove first. Then, you add the onion and garlic cloves and cook for another two minutes.
Drain the grease before adding the spaghetti sauce, chicken broth, and other seasonings like fresh basil, Italian seasoning, and parsley. Cook over medium-high heat for several minutes and then you have your meat sauce.
What is the white sauce in lasagna?
Although not everyone uses white sauce, in the traditional version it is made with a white sauce called béchamel. This is a simple recipe of just three ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. Butter, flour, and milk.
How to store leftovers:
- Store: Allow the leftovers to cool to room temperature before putting them in an airtight container. These will stay fresh in the fridge for up to four days.
- Freeze: If you know ahead of time that you will have to freeze the lasagna, only cook it up to the point of the lasagna noodles. Then, add the sauce and cheese to freezer bags where it will be good in the freezer for up to 90 days.
- Thaw: Thaw the sauce and cheese mixture in the fridge overnight.
- Reheat: Finally, reheat on the stovetop or go ahead and put it in the crockpot to heat slowly for later.
More Crockpot Recipes:
- For the best lasagna, use the best noodles. While store brands are okay for some things, pasta is not one of them.
- Add tomato paste to your sauce for an extra tomato flavor.
- Also, if you want vegetarian lasagna, just leave out the beef and use spaghetti sauce without meat.
- Leftovers would be great added to a casserole for the next night’s meal.
- You could also add cottage cheese instead of ricotta for a lighter meal.
Slow Cooker Lasagna
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 26 oz jar spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided use
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese divided use
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 4-6 lasagna noodles uncooked
Follow me on InstagramFollow
- In a large skillet, brown and crumble the ground beef, add in onion and garlic and cook for additional 1-2 minutes.
- Drain excess grease.
- Add in spaghetti sauce, broth, add italian herbs, basil and dried parsley. Stir.
- In a separate bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, 1/4 parmesan cheese, egg, pepper and chopped parsley.
- Spray crock pot with no-stick cooking spray. Scoop approximately 1 cup of meat sauce into bottom of slow cooker.
- Top with one layer of uncooked lasagna noodles. Just do your best to break them up to fit into your crock pot.
- Next top with a layer of cheese mixture.
- Keep adding layers, ending with meat sauce. I was able to get 3 layers in my 5-quart slow cooker.
- Put the lid on and cook on low for 4-6 hours. You want most of the liquid to be absorbed and noodles should be soft.
- When it is finished cooking, add remaining cheeses and sprinkle with parsley.
- Put the lid back on for about 10-15 more minutes until cheese is melted.
Enjoy weekly hand picked recipes and recommendations