Last updated on June 18th, 2021 at 09:20 pm
Slow Cooker Lazy Lasagna is such an easy meal, made with frozen ravioli, ground beef and tomato mixture and obviously lots of cheese. Enjoy this cheesy, meaty, and hearty dish even on busy weeknights!
Italian dishes surely are tasty and hearty just like this pasta dish. If you want more Italian-inspired pasta dishes like this, check out my recipes for Penne Alla Vodka, Pesto Pasta Salad, and Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo!
Crockpot Lazy Lasagna Recipe
This Slow Cooker Lazy Lasagna recipe has made it into my regular menu rotation because it is so easy to prepare and tastes amazing. And why make it so often? Just because it is hearty, and the tomato-cheese combination is simply amazing. I am yet to meet a person who dislikes lasagna!
Imagine having to cook the beef mixture and cheese mixture separately, then, assembling and baking the classic dish. Not that it is impossible, but this easier crockpot version does exist!
So, it has become my go-to recipe whenever I just want to have some extra rest. At times like this, I crave some home-cooked comfort food and I resort to recipes like this. Try it, and you will see what a time saver it is!
Why is it called Lazy Lasagna?
This is called as such for two main reasons: fewer ingredients and fewer steps during the preparation. You can even do some of the steps ahead when you have time.
This recipe only uses seven ingredients at most. That is a lot fewer than the 22 ingredients that our classic lasagna recipe requires.
If you are using the kind of crockpot in which you can brown the meat, then, you can make this as a one-pot recipe. But if not, then, do not fret. You just have to use a skillet once and nothing more. That means fewer pots to wash!
No need to cook the pasta separately and you do not even need to thaw the ravioli. Isn’t this recipe just convenient? So, if you want something simpler but equally delicious, then, this recipe is for you.
How do you make Slow Cooker Lazy Lasagna
- Brown the beef: In a skillet, cook the beef until it is no longer pink. You may have to drain the excess fat.
- Finish the sauce: In the same skillet, pour in the crushed tomatoes. Season everything.
- Assemble the layers: Cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of sauce. Add in a layer of the frozen ravioli, then, the mozzarella cheese. Alternate these three layers until you top everything off with the meat sauce, then, with the mozzarella cheese. If you want, you can add parmesan cheese, too.
- Cook: Set it to cook for 4 hours on low.
- Serve: Allow it to rest for a few minutes then, serve.
What do you serve with Slow Cooker Lazy Lasagna?
I love serving it with garlic bread to soak the sauce with or a vegetable side dish to add balance with this carb-meat combo. Here are some recipes you can try:
- Rainbow Roasted Vegetables
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Heirloom Tomato Pizza
- Arugula Salad
- Pear Salad
Can you freeze lasagna?
Yes! You can even buy frozen ones and even the homemade ones can be made into a freezer meal. It can stay good in the fridge for up to 3 or 5 days and to extend that, freeze it for up to 2 to 3 months.
Allow it to completely cool, cover it with plastic wrap, and freeze. Make sure that the container is freezer-safe. When reheating, you can thaw it overnight and bake it in a preheated oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You can pre-cook the meat, then, put and freeze everything together in a freezer bag. Dump everything in the crockpot to cook later.
- You can substitute the cheese with ricotta or cottage cheese.
- For the meat, I like using lean ground beef, but you can add ground pork in it or Italian sausage.
Slow Cooker Lazy Lasagna
- 25 oz bag frozen cheese ravioli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 cans crushed tomatoes (14 oz each)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
Cook the Beef Mixture:
- Place a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and wait for it to shart shimmering.
- Once hot, add the beef, cook unmoved for 3 minutes, to get a nice sear on it. After that, start breaking it apart with a wooden spoon and cook until no longer pink and nicely browned. Drain grease.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add some of the sauce to the bottom of a 6-quart crockpot, just to cover it.
- Then add a layer of frozen ravioli, top with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients, distribute them in a way to end with the meat sauce on top.
- Then top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese on top.
- Cook on the Low setting for 4 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh parsley when serving.