Last updated on August 22nd, 2023 at 08:16 amJump to Recipe
Perfectly Roasted Brussels Sprouts [Video]
Roasted Brussels Sprouts are tender on the inside and caramelized on the outside. It is an easy side dish to make, with delicious nutty flavors and healthy nutrients. This dish requires only a few ingredients, and it will make a perfect side dish for any holiday or family meal.
We love making easy and delicious side dishes, and this one tops the list. It has the perfect mix to be your favorite side dish on the table. This delicious side dish is flavorful, crunchy, healthy, and super easy to prepare. If you are looking for more healthy side dishes, try our Roasted Asparagus and Crispy Sweet Potato Fries.
Perfectly Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts are flavorful and taste delicious. They go well with any main dishes on the holiday table. The great thing about them is how simple it is to prepare them. You take some fresh Brussels sprouts, clean them, cut them in half, season them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast them in the oven.
Roasting them is the perfect way to bring out the delicious nutty flavors, and make them crisp and crunchy. We have tried many variations of cooking Brussels sprouts, and we believe that roasting them is the ultimate way to go. If you want to add a little extra flavor to them, add some Parmesan cheese or bacon when cooking.
- Fresh Brussels Sprouts: First, trim the stems and remove any outer leaves that are wilted or damaged. Then, cut them in half for more even cooking.
- Olive oil: Feel free to use your favorite type and brand.
- Seasoning: Kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Grated parmesan: to garnish.
How to make the best Roasted Brussels Sprouts?
- Wash and cut the sprouts: Start by cutting off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts. Pull off any yellow and dry leaves, and slice sprouts in half lengthwise.
- Season: Next, in a large bowl, toss Brussels sprouts with 4 tablespoons of olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper, and coat well.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake: Next, transfer them to the prepared baking sheet and roast for 35 to 45 minutes at 400-425 degrees F. Once cooked, they should be perfectly crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Serve: Enjoy them warm, sprinkled with some freshly grated parmesan if desired.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with bacon: cook bacon in a pan until nice and crispy, and mix with the sprouts before serving.
- Add lemon: Feel free to squeeze half a lemon over the top of the sprouts after they are fully cooked.
- Spicy roasted Brussels sprouts: For a spicier kick, simply add 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
- Make them in the Air Fryer: For a healthier version, try making this Air Fryer Brussels Sprout recipe.
- Parmesan Cheese – toss the Brussels sprouts with 1 cup of parmesan cheese before baking or sprinkle some on top right after baking and toss before serving.
- Balsamic Vinegar and honey – mix 3 tablespoons of honey with 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and toss the Brussels sprouts into the mixture right after baking.
How do I make roasted Brussels sprouts crispy?
To achieve crispy roasted Brussels sprouts, make sure they are evenly coated with oil and spread out in a single layer on the baking sheet. It is very important not to overcrowd the pan.
Also, cook them at higher oven temperatures and a longer roasting time. This will ensure a perfectly crispy texture.
What’s the difference between cabbage and Brussels sprouts?
Even though the Brussels sprouts look like petite cabbages, they are different vegetables. Both are part of the same family, the Brassica family, but are not the same veggies.
Other members of the Brassica family are kale, broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, turnips, mustard, and bok choy.
Can I roast frozen Brussels sprouts?
It’s best to use fresh Brussels sprouts for roasting, as frozen ones might release more moisture during cooking and not achieve the same level of caramelization.
What oven temperature is best for roasting Brussels sprouts?
To get that crispy texture, I highly recommend cooking them at a higher temperature. A cooking temperature of around 400°F to 425°F(200-215°C) is the best to use for roasting Brussels sprouts. It allows them to cook through while also developing a desirable caramelized exterior and perfectly crispy texture.
What goes well with crispy roasted Brussels sprouts?
This dish is very versatile and can be served as is, or with various pairings. Some suggestions would be:
Should I wash Brussels sprouts before cooking?
Like any other vegetable, this one is best to be washed. To clean them, trim the ends and rinse them in a large bowl of cold water. The dust or any sediments will float to the bottom of the bowl. Once rinsed, transfer them to a colander and pat dry before cooking.
Can Brussels sprouts be eaten raw?
Like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and other vegetables from the same family, brussels sprouts can be eaten raw by most people. However, some people experience gas and bloating from difficult-to-digest when eating them. Hence, is best and easier to digest once cooked.
More healthy side dishes:
- Use fresh and organic Brussels sprouts. Also, try to pick larger-sized Brussels sprouts, because you will cut them in half. Similarly, when cooking them they will reduce in size, so is best to use larger-sized sprouts.
- When roasting the Brussels sprouts is best to place them directly on a metal baking sheet without any foil or paper. This will make them crispier and crunchier.
- Don’t overcrowd your pan. Make sure there is some space between them so they cook evenly and have room to breathe. Otherwise, they will steam and won’t be as crunchy.
- In addition, make sure the oven is preheated to 425 degrees F before placing them in the oven. To make them crispier, you want to have high heat.
- It is best to keep them cut side down when roasting.
Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 4 tablespoons good olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder optional
- 1 cup grated parmesan
Follow me on InstagramFollow
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts, pull off any yellow and dry leaves, and slice Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise.
- In a large bowl, toss Brussels sprouts with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, and garlic powder if using, coat well.
- Transfer them to a large baking sheet lightly greased with olive oil or cooking spray. Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Taste and season with more kosher salt if needed.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with grated parmesan if desired.