Chocolate French Toast Casserole made with challah bread and soaked in a chocolate mixture overnight, are fluffy and homemade. This is the easiest and most delicious breakfast you can make!
Chocolate French Toast Casserole
Chocolate French Toast Casserole is hands down one of my top favorite breakfast dishes. This casserole is so incredibly easy to make, and it tastes better than at a fancy and expensive restaurant. Crusty Challah bread is soaked overnight in a sweet chocolate mixture. After that, its baked to golden perfection and served with maple syrup and fresh fruits. This chocolaty French Toast Casserole loaded with chocolate chips and topped with a drizzle of chocolate sauce is an indulgent and happy way to start your day.
Why You’ll Love This Chocolate French Toast Casserole:
- First, it is rich and chocolaty this is a show stopper dessert.
- Very easy to make, bread is soaked overnight and baked in the morning.
- Also, easy to find ingredients and minimum prep work and dishes to clean.
- Perfect for brunch parties and for bigger crowds.
- In addition, easy to transport if you have to take it to a brunch party.
- A hit with kids and adults!
Chocolate French Toast Casserole Recipe Tips
- Start with stale bread, best French toast recipes are made with bread that is not very fresh. If the bread is freshly baked it will get soggy very quickly and also it’s more prone to crumble and break. Bread that has been baked 3-4 days ago gives you the best results in this recipe.
- Also, use Challah bread, because it is a sweet egg based bread, and is topped with a shiny, golden brown braid, which is perfect for this dish. The bread’s texture is more dense, and it gets to absorb more of the chocolate mixture, which will make this casserole amazing.
- Since the Challah bread is thicker and denser, make sure it absorbs enough chocolate mixture. After soaking the bread into the mixture, I like to put over the bread any remaining chocolate mixture.
- Use larger chocolate chips, as they don’t fully melt when baked and are amazing when you bite into them!
- Cut the bread into thick, large pieces, it will prevent the bread from getting too soggy and breaking into small, wet pieces.
- Bake the casserole to golden perfection and keep and eye not to burn it.
What to serve with Chocolate French Toast Casserole:
You can enjoy it with eggs, some bacon, or simply with a cup of milk or tea.
Can you freeze this Chocolate French Toast Casserole?
Absolutely! Cool the French Toast Casserole completely and fully wrap it in plastic wrap, tightly. After that wrap in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 2-3 month.
How do you reheat Chocolate French Toast Casserole?
Remove plastic wrap, but cover with foil and then reheat in oven at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until warmed through.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 45 mins
- 1 Challah bread loaf (cut into large 2-3 inch pieces)
- 8 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pack cocoa
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 stick butter (unsalted)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- Add eggs, half and half, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, cocoa powder and one Instant packet or two cocoa k-cups to a large mixing bowl. Whisk well to combine until the mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Add the challah bread pieces to the bowl in a few batches. Gently stir to make sure the bread is coated and it absorbed the mixture.
- Add bread to the prepared baking dish and top with chocolate chips, repeat with the remaining bread. Pour any remaining chocolate mixture over the bread.
- Add butter and brown sugar to a small sauce pan and melt over medium heat, stirring continously for about 5-7 minutes. When the mixture is smooth and shiny, pout it over the bread. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Allow the casserole to stay at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before transferring to the oven.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Start checking at 25 minutes.
- Once it bakes, serve immediately, preferably with maple syrup and fresh fruits!