CHOCOLATE FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
CHOCOLATE FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE MADE WITH CHALLAH BREAD AND SOAKED IN A CHOCOLATE MIXTURE OVERNIGHT. THIS IS THE EASIEST AND MOST DELICIOUS BREAKFAST YOU CAN MAKE.
Chocolate French Toast Casserole is hands down one of my top favorite breakfast dishes. This casserole is so incredibly easy to make, and it tastes like you are having breakfast at some very fancy and expensive place. Crusty Challah bread is soaked overnight in a sweet chocolate mixture. After that, its baked to golden perfection and served with maple syrup and fresh fruits. This chocolaty French Toast Casserole loaded with chocolate chips and topped with a drizzle of chocolate sauce is an indulgent and happy way to start your day.
Why You’ll Love This Chocolate French Toast Casserole:
- Very easy to make, bread is soaked overnight and baked in the morning
- Easy to find ingredients and minimum prep work and dishes to clean
- Perfect for brunch parties and for bigger crowds
- Easy to transport if you have to take it to a brunch party
- Will take everyone to chocolate heaven and you will make so many more new friends
- A hit with kids and adults!
Tips & Tricks To Make The Perfect Chocolate French Toast Casserole:
- Start with stale bread, best French toast recipes are made with bread that is not very fresh. If the bread is freshly baked it will get soggy very quickly and also it’s more prone to crumble and break. Bread that has been baked 3-4 days ago gives you the best results in this recipe/
- Challah is a sweet egg based bread, that is topped with a shiny, golden brown braid. The bread’s texture is more dense, and it gets to absorb more of the chocolate mixture, which will make this casserole amazing.
- Since the Challah bread is thicker and denser, make sure it absorbs enough chocolate mixture. After soaking the bread into the mixture, I like to put over the bread any remaining chocolate mixture.
- Cut the bread into thick, large pieces, it will prevent the bread from getting too soggy and breaking into small, wet pieces.
- Bake the casserole to golden perfection and keep and eye not to burn it.
- To add to the chocolate casserole even more flavor, besides the cocoa powder add to the chocolate mixture 2 k-cups of Two Rivers Coffee Tootsie Roll Hot Cocoa. You can also use their delicious Sugar Babies K-cups or Thin Mints K-Cups Instant Cocoa. This is one very easy and fabulous way to add a fun flavor to your French Toast Casserole.
- If you don’t have the Two Rivers Coffee K-cups on hand you can use 1 of their Instant Packets. Tootsie Roll is my personal favorite of the bunch. As you can see hot cocoa is not only for drinking! You can add it to mouth watering recipes and also have a cup on the side!
Now GIVEAWY time! I love this hot cocoa so much that I am delighted to have the opportunity to share it with you! The people at Two Rivers Coffee with send assorted flavors of Tootsie Roll Industries Hot Cocoa K-cups and Instant Packets to one lucky winner! Enter below for a chance to win!
One winner per household, email address, or home address. If you have won this prize on another blog you are ineligible to win again. Winner must have a U.S.-based address to receive the prize.
CHOCOLATE FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
Chocolate French Toast Casserole made with Challah bread and soaked in a chocolate mixture overnight. This is the easiest and most delicious breakfast you can make.
- 1 Challah bread loaf cut into large 2-3 inch pieces
- 8 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 k-cups or 1 instant packet Two River Coffee Hot Cocoa flavor of choice*
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup / 1 stick / 113 grams butter unsalted
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
Add eggs, half and half, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, cocoa powder and one Instant packet or two cocoa k-cups to a large mixing bowl. Whisk well to combine until the mixture is smooth and shiny.
Add the challah bread pieces to the bowl in a few batches. Gently stir to make sure the bread is coated and it absorbed the mixture.
Add bread to the prepared baking dish and top with chocolate chips, repeat with the remaining bread. Pour any remaining chocolate mixture over the bread.
Add butter and brown sugar to a small sauce pan and melt over medium heat, stirring continously for about 5-7 minutes. When the mixture is smooth and shiny, pout it over the bread. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Allow the casserole to stay at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before transferring to the oven.
Bake for about 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Start checking at 25 minutes.
Once it bakes, serve immediately, preferably with maple syrup and fresh fruits!
*Just the contents of the packets or k-cups, not the drink!
Made this Recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram and tag me at @sweetnsavorymeals or hashtag it #sweetandsavorymeals.