Last updated on September 27th, 2021 at 06:36 am
Pumpkin Bread Recipe packs the classic flavors of fall in a loaf that stays moist for days! Filled with warm autumn spices and the perfect level of sweetness, it’s just impossible to stop at only one slice.
Pumpkin Bread is the best way to welcome the fall season. It’s got all those autumn flavors we know and love— pumpkin flavor, spices like ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg, with just a hint of vanilla. Also, it’s super soft, moist, and taste very similar to the Starbucks Pumpkin loaf.
In addition, no kneading is required to make the loaf, because this is a quick bread with a few easy preparation steps. Just combine the ingredients according to the recipe steps below.
Then, pop it in the oven, and, in less than one hour, you’ll have a house smelling of sweet autumn spices. So flavorful and delicious, that this will quickly become your favorite autumn treat.
Because pumpkin bread is so easy, baking these loaves can be a fun family activity. Let the little ones get in there and help stir the batter! You can even make it a nice tradition every year during the pumpkin season.
Aside from enjoying it yourself, these loves also make for fantastic gifts and for potlucks because it’s a breeze to make a big batch.
- Pumpkin purée: You can use canned puree, or make your own pumpkin puree. Both will work just fine here.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda and baking powder
- Pumpkin pie spice: Basically a combination of ground cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- A bit of salt: To balance the sweet and savory flavors.
- Brown sugar and white sugar
- Cooking oil: Feel free to use either vegetable oil, coconut oil, canola oil, or even olive oil.
- Buttermilk: This makes the loaf cake rich and moist.
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract: If you are not a vanilla fan, simply skip it from the ingredient list.
- Powdered sugar and milk: To make the glaze.
How to make moist pumpkin bread?
- Preheat the oven: First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×5 loaf pan. This will make it effortless to remove the baked loaf.
- Mix the ingredients: Next, in a large bowl, whisk your dry ingredients together (flour, spices, salt, baking powder, baking soda). Then, do the same for your wet ingredients in a separate bowl (puree, vanilla, eggs, buttermilk, sugars, and oil).
- Combine: Then, combine both mixtures together.
- Bake: Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for around an hour.
- Let it rest: Cool inside the pan for around 20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve: Slice and serve.
Possible variations and substitutions:
The loaf is easily adjustable and can be made by adding or swapping various ingredients. Some of our favorites are:
- Add chocolate chips: Feel free to add your favorite chocolate chips (semi-sweet complements the flavors so well!), white chocolate chips, or caramel chips.
- Add some drizzle on top: Drizzle with salted caramel, maple syrup, or chocolate sauce.
- Mix in some nuts: For a crunchier texture, mix in a cup of your favorite nuts.
- Make it vegan: Use butter and egg substitutes to make it vegan.
- Flour: Alternatively, use whole wheat flour, almond flour, or even coconut flour.
- Reduce the sugar intake: To use less sugar, simply halve the sugar level to make it less sweet.
- Throw in some dried fruits: Dried cranberries, raisins, or Gogi berry would work great.
- Mix in some berries: Also, if you like it fruitier, perk it up with fresh cranberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc.
- Top it with cream cheese frosting: This is super delicious!
- Double the spice mix for a more intense flavor
Pumpkin pie spice vs cinnamon?
Both are great to use in making this delicious dessert. The only difference is that the pumpkin spice includes more ingredients, such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. I personally love using the spice mixture, as it adds more flavor and aromas.
However, you can use only ground cinnamon if desired.
How do you know when the loaf is done?
Because every oven is different, it is important to keep a close eye on the bread not to overbake it. Otherwise, you might end up with a dry pumpkin loaf.
At 350 degrees F, the baking time is about 50-60 minutes. Use a digital thermometer and insert it in the center. If it reads 200 degrees F, then the bread is done.
Also, you can insert a toothpick or knife into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean (without moist crumbs), then it is done.
What to serve with Pumpkin Bread?
It’s already so good plain or with salted butter! But I also love eating with Nutella, peanut butter, jam, cream cheese, or with this Slow Cooker Apple Butter. You can also use Cinnamon Honey Butter in this recipe.
How to keep the bread moist?
The oil, buttermilk, and puree are the key to this ultra-moist loaf. In case your loaf dries out after several days, sprinkle with some water, wrap in foil, and warm in the oven for around 15 minutes.
More delicious pumpkin recipes:
- Room temperature: This will stay good at room temperature for up to three days.
- Refrigerate: You can also refrigerate the entire loaf, or cut it into individual slices. First, let it cool completely. Then, wrap in aluminum foil or plastic wrap, and transfer it to the fridge for up to 7 days.
- To freeze: Simply wrap it with foil, or use an airtight container. Then, freeze it for up to three months.
Please keep in mind, that the loaf easily absorbs other odors, so make sure you place it in an airtight container.
- If adding fresh berries, toss them in a bit of flour first so they don’t sink to the bottom of the loaf.
- Feel free to make your own puree if you don’t want to use canned.
- If using homemade puree, blot out your puree to eliminate extra moisture. Also, do this by measuring it out according to the recipe, then using a paper towel to squeeze the excess liquid.
- Also, don’t forget to cool the loaf in the pan first. This allows the loaf to it hold its shape.
- No buttermilk? Then, make your own buttermilk! Place 1 Tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice in your measuring cup, then add enough milk to reach one cup. You can also use plain yogurt instead of buttermilk.
- You can turn this easy pumpkin bread recipe into muffins. Simply, bake in muffin pans instead of a loaf pan.
- Similarly, to make it into a bundt cake, use a bundt pan for baking.
- Use an oven thermometer for precise baking temperature.
- Chop it up and make it into bread pudding!
Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and line it with parchment paper in a way that has paper handles. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, white granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla until fully combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, using a spatula level at the top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the bread starts getting brown too quickly, cover loosely with foil when baking.
- When done, transfer to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Lift the pumpkin bread from the pan using the paper handles and place it on the wire rack to cool completely
- Mix glaze ingredients in a bowl until smooth, drizzle on top of the fully cooled bread.
- Once the glaze has settles, slice and serve the bread.