Homemade Blueberry Sauce with Vanilla Hints
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The easiest and most delicious homemade blueberry sauce with subtle hints of vanilla is the perfect summer add in to so many dishes.
Hello and Happy Monday! I am making it my goal to have a happy and productive week. The weekend was a little stressful with a few emergency events, but thanks God everything is fine and I just hope this new week is a new beginning, a clean slate with no more bad news. To start it on the right leg I am sharing a sweet, yet easy and delicious homemade blueberry sauce recipe. Because, what else can be more summery?
The farmers markets are bursting with juicy, fragrant and beautiful ripe blueberries. My husband showed up on Friday night home with a box of blueberries, he said they were on sale and that I better make something delicious with them.
Obviously I made a blueberry cake, but that will be coming later this week, so stay tuned, because its OMG amazing. Again, obviously I couldn’t use all the blueberries to make the cake, so a homemade blueberry sauce with sweet hints of vanilla was born in my kitchen and made my house smell amazing!
This recipe is so easy, and I would say therapeutic, you just have to watch the blueberries cook slowly, and turning into a beautiful deep purple color, I just want to poor this liquid goodness on everything. And I must say, this sauce is good not only on desserts, its great on toast, delicious when combined with a PB and banana sandwich, and also on savory dishes, like pork lion with grilled peaches and blueberry sauce.
I like my sauce on the thick side, not too runny, so adding corn starch is key if thats the texture you are looking for too, but if you don’t mind a more runny sauce you can skip it, it will still be equally delicious.
This sauce is gorgeous, the blueberries stayed whole, nice and juicy, the sauce is sweet, comforting, easy to make and stores well for a few weeks in the fridge, I specifically made a bigger batch, since I am sure we will devour it gladly and use it in many recipes, or with just some wine and cheese. Wine, cheese and homemade blueberry sauce is always a good idea!
- 6 cups fresh blueberries (frozen work too)
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine blueberries, water and sugar. Stir frequently, but careful not to crush the berries, bring to a low boil.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with cold water until combined.
- Slowly stir the cornstarch into the blueberries, careful not to crush them. Simmer until the homemade blueberry sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in vanilla.