Slow Cooker Apple Butter is one of my favorite autumn dishes. It is an easy recipe made with apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a hint of vanilla extract.
Easy Crockpot Apple Butter
The Autumn season is my favorite! It is during this time of the year that most of the fun cooking is done. Whether it is related to apples, pumpkin, or cranberries, it is always filled with joy and memories.
This Slow Cooker Apple Butter is such a simple and yet delicious recipe that we always make it fresh every fall. Also, it stores well, so I try to make a larger batch for weeks and months to come.
To be honest, there is no point in buying it from the store. It is expensive, and it will never taste the same as the homemade version of it.
Once you make it, I guarantee that you will never buy it from the store again. In addition, you can control the ingredients, and adjust the taste per your licking. You can also make a larger batch and use it as a gift during the holiday season.
How can I serve apple butter?
You can serve it pretty much on anything during the whole year. Some of my favorite ways to serve this is on:
Can I thicken it?
Yes, if the consistency is too thin, it is best to leave the apple butter cook a little longer in the slow cooker.
After you puree the mixture and feel like it is too thin, add it back to the crockpot and cook for another 30-60 minutes. This should thicken it up.
How to store Apple Butter:
The beauty of this recipe is that once cooked, it can be stored for an extensive period of time.
- To refrigerate: Use a glass container or leaded mason jars, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Use freezer-proof jars, and tightly seal them. Then, freeze the jars for up to 6 months.
More easy apple recipes:
- Instant Pot Baked Apples
- Apple Bread
- Homemade Apple Pie Danish
- Apple Pie
- Best Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- This dish is easily adjustable. Therefore, feel free to add your favorite spices. For example, use some pumpkin pie spice, allspice, saffron, etc.
- For the best flavors, a combination of apples is recommended to be used.
- Also, if you want a sweeter taste, adjust the sugar accordingly.
- To puree the mixture, use an immersion blender, or food processor.
- You can also use honey instead of brown sugar.
Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 8 apples (stems removed, peeled, seeds removed and chopped)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional but recommended)
- dash of salt
- Spray insides of slow cooker with cooking spray for easy cleanup and set aside.
- Peel, core, and chop the apples.
- Place ½ of the apples and 1/2 cup of cider into a high power blender and secure lid.
- Blend for 10-15 seconds, if necessary, use the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades. Increase speed and blend for 1 to 2 minutes until the mixture is smooth. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Repeat with the remaining apples and cider. Add apple mixture to the crockpot.
- Stir in sugar and spices.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low, until the mixture is dark brown. Taste and adjust for sugar. Freeze or add the apple butter to mason jars and store in the fridge for 2 weeks.