Instant Pot Turkey Breast – Fresh or Frozen [Video]
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Turkey Breast turns out tender and is incredibly easy to make. You can make this time-saving recipe using fresh or frozen turkey breast.
Instant Pot recipes can save you so much time, I love that you can cook Frozen Chicken Breasts, Frozen Chicken Wings, Frozen Beef or even an entire Frozen Whole Chicken. Now, we are bringing you and recipe for Instant Pot Turkey Breast that you can also cook from either fresh or frozen.
The Best Instant Pot Turkey Breast
One of the easiest ways to cook turkey breast is by using your Instant Pot. The best part of this recipe is that you don’t have to thaw the turkey breast. Imagine how annoying it is when you planned to cook a turkey breast for dinner, but forgot to thaw it. No more problems like this, with this recipe you can easily cook a fresh or frozen turkey breast in your pressure cooker.
The turkey turns out juicy and moist and yes, I don’t have an issue using that word. If your oven is busy and you don’t want to cook an entire turkey for Thanksgiving, this Instant Pot version is perfect for you. Finish it under the broiler for a few minutes to get the skin crispy and golden brown.
WHAT TO SERVE INSTANT POT TURKEY BREAST WITH:
WHY COOK TURKEY BREAST IN THE INSTANT POT?
Cooking turkey breast in the pressure cooker is a great idea. First, you can cook a fresh or frozen turkey breast, bonus points for that. The meat ends up being very moist and tender, just like it has been slow roasted for hours. Also, you can’t beat the convenience of being able to cook a frozen turkey breast in just under 2 hours, it takes way longer to defrost it.
Follow Sweet and Savory Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Pin This Best Instant Pot Turkey Breast Recipe to your Favorite Board
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE INSTANT POT TURKEY BREAST
- Turkey Breast – fresh or frozen, both work
- Instant Pot trivet with handles
- Your favorite seasoning
- A baking sheet to broil the turkey breast
HOW DO YOU COOK TURKEY BREAST IN THE INSTANT POT?
Making Instant Pot Turkey Breast is very easy and it involves just a few steps, you can also make this in any other electric pressure cooker:
- All you have to do is add either fresh or frozen turkey breast to the Instant Pot, add water and cook on High Pressure per recipe directions.
- Release pressure, remove turkey breast from the pressure cooker and brush with melted butter mixed with your favorite seasoning.
- Broil, checking often so it doesn’t burn.
HOW LONG DO YOU COOK TURKEY BREAST IN THE INSTANT POT?
COOKING TIME FOR INSTANT POT TURKEY BREAST USING FRESH/THAWED MEAT:
- 3 pounds turkey breast = 20 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 3.5 pounds turkey breast = 23 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 4 pounds turkey breast = 25 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 4.5 pounds turkey breast = 28 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 5 pounds turkey breast = 33 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
COOKING TIME FOR INSTANT POT TURKEY BREAST USING FROZEN MEAT:
- 3 pounds turkey breast = 39 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 3.5 pounds turkey breast = 46 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 4 pounds turkey breast = 52 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 4.5 pounds turkey breast = 60 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 5 pounds turkey breast = 65 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH LEFTOVER TURKEY
Leftover turkey doesn’t have to go to waste, it can be added to many delicious recipes, you can replace the chicken with turkey in this delicious Chicken Spaghetti Casserole or Crack Chicken Casserole. You can also add it to salads, wraps and sandwiches.
WHAT IS A NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE?
A Natural Pressure Release means that the pressure is released gradually. For a Natural Pressure Release, you click on Keep Warm, and wait 10-15 minutes (or based on what the recipe says), after which you open the valve and let any leftover pressure to release. Another option is to Turn Off/Unplug the pressure cooker, wait 10-15 minutes (or based on what the recipe says) and after that open the valve. A natural release is usually used when cooking soups, meat in a large amount of sauce, pasta or steel cut oats. This method prevents any foam from the dish to shoot out through the valve, which can happen during a Quick Pressure Release.
Watch Recipe step-by-ste Video:
Easy Instant Pot Turkey Breast
Instant Pot Turkey Breast turns out tender and is incredibly easy to make. You can make this time saving recipe using fresh or frozen turkey breast.
- 1 4.5-5 pounds turkey breast fresh or frozen, bone-in turkey breast
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or water
- 6 tablespoons butter room temperature or use olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Remove giblets from turkey breast if present.
- If cooking a fresh turkey breast, gently loosen the skin from the turkey breast, lifting it from the meat with your fingers and rub about 3 tablespoons of butter (or olive oil) under it. You can also add some seasoning.
- Rub the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter (or olive oil) all over the turkey breast surface. You can also add some seasoning if desired. You can add thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Add a trivet with handles to the Instant Pot and add the chicken broth. Place either the fresh or frozen turkey breast (thicker side down) on top of it.
- Cover with the lid and lock it, point valve to sealed.
- Press High Pressure and set the timer to 33 minutes for fresh turkey breast and for 65 minutes for frozen. See the blog post for cooking times based on turkey breast weight and if using fresh or frozen chicken.
- After the cooking time is done and the Instant Pot beeps, let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes, followed by a quick release of the remaining pressure.
Using a food thermometer, check the internal temperature in the thickest part of the breast, it should be a minimum of 165 degrees F. If needed, pressure cook for 5-10 more minutes.
- Turn on the Oven Broiler.
- Melt butter and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Open the Instant Pot lid and remove the turkey breast from the pot and place it on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and drizzled with olive oil.
- Brush the turkey breast with the Buttery Mixture and place under the broiler for about 5-8 minutes for extra crispy skin.
- Watch it closely, and if needed rotate the pan, so it doesn't burn. If needed brush more with the sauce from the pan. Broil until skin is golden-brown and crispy.
- Serve and enjoy!
Made this Recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram and tag me at @sweetnsavorymeals or hashtag it #sweetandsavorymeals.