Last updated on June 18th, 2021 at 11:44 pmJump to Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala [Video]
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala is a restaurant-quality dish, full of flavor, with incredibly tender and juicy chicken. It is easily made in the pressure cooker for the perfect weeknight meal.
Instant Pot recipes are favorite around here, because they are made in a fraction of the time, and are perfect during weeknights. Like our popular Instant Pot Orange Chicken, Instant Pot General Tso, and Instant Pot Mongolian Chicken, this Chicken Marsala is full of delicious flavors.
Ultimate Pressure Cooker Chicken Marsala
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala is creamy, flavorful, and comes together in about 30 minutes. It is made with juicy chicken cutlets cooked in mushroom and Marsala wine sauce. For this recipe, we used thighs because they give a richer and more profound flavor.
However, chicken breast works perfectly fine as well. Traditionally, the meat is coated in flour and briefly sautéed, but since I wanted a lighter version, I skipped that step. I also don’t find it necessary, since the poultry will later be broiled to add crispiness.
Our favorite part about this recipe is the marsala wine sauce which gives this dish a rich and savory taste. The combination of mushrooms and heavy cream goes well in this dish. The delicious buttery and tender chicken, full of aromatic spices is still a favorite here. We love making it at home and serving it with pasta and bread for dipping. It is such an indulgence!
What do you need to make Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- Chicken: in this recipe, you can use bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs or if you are looking for a leaner version, make it with chicken breasts.
- Olive oil: since this is an Italian inspired recipe, make sure you use good olive oil
- Onion, garlic, and mushrooms: make sure you brown them nicely to enjoy their full flavors.
- Marsala wine: This is why the recipe is called Chicken Marsala, because of this classic Italian cooking wine.
- Chicken stock
- Heavy cream: use heavy cream or half and a half to make the most amazing creamy sauce!
- Cornstarch: Used here to thicken the sauce.
- Salt, pepper, dried oregano, parsley, and basil: a delicious seasoning blend to take your dish to a whole new level.
- Instant Pot – I have the 6 quarts one and use it all the time. It makes weeknight meals so much easier.
How do you make Instant Pot Chicken Marsala recipe
In addition to the recipe card below, I have attached a short video instruction on how to prepare this dish.
- Brown the Chicken: First, add the olive oil to the Instant Pot while on SAUTE mode. Then, brown the chicken, after which use some chicken broth to deglaze the pot.
- Add the Veggies: After that, add and sauté the mushrooms, onions, garlic, and dried herbs.
- Pressure Cook: Next, add the chicken broth, Marsala wine, and chicken back to the Instant Pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook on High-Pressure mode for 10 minutes with a 15-minute natural release.
- Broil: When the chicken is finished cooking, remove it to a baking sheet and broil it until crispy.
- Make the Sauce: With the Instant Pot on SAUTE, add the heavy cream and cornstarch slurry, stir to combine.
- Serve: Just before serving, you can sprinkle the dish with chopped parsley.
- Use other meat: As I have said before, any parts of the chicken will work: thighs, drumsticks, or breasts. Similarly, you can make this recipe with other types of meat like sausage, pork, and turkey. It will taste great!
- Make it healthier: You can cut some calories by using full-fat coconut milk instead of cream. Similarly, you can use half and half.
- Add Bacon: Since bacon makes everything better, before browning the chicken, cook some bacon in the IP. After that, continue to cook the chicken into the bacon grease and add the chopped bacon to the pressure cooker right when you add back the chicken.
- Make it cheesier: Stir in some cream cheese or parmesan into the sauce!
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I use chicken breasts or chicken thighs?
This recipe is delicious made with both options. Therefore, keep in mind that chicken thighs will have a richer flavor. However, you can use breasts or even drumsticks, both will work well, and the cooking time should be the same.
The chicken breasts are leaner, but since we are dooking them in the Instant Pot, they will be very tender and will taste amazing served with the creamy mushroom sauce.
What wine is best to use for chicken marsala?
Dry Marsala wine works best in this dish. Also, marsala wine has a deep, smokey flavor, which is perfect for really savory dishes like this one.
Marsala Wine Substitutes:
This marsala wine has a very distinct flavor and is the secret ingredient in this dish. It is usually sold next to cooking wines and vinegar in your grocery store. However, if you cannot find it, these are some substitute alternatives:
- dry sherry
- grape juice with a little bit of brandy
- dry white wine with brandy
What goes well with Pressure Cooker Chicken Marsala?
Some great suggestions are listed below:
How to Freeze:
Chicken Marsala can be easily frozen. To do so, you will have to let the chicken mixture cool to room temperature. Then, seal in separate large zip-top plastic freezer bags. Label with the date, and freeze for up to 2-3 months, or longer if you use a deep freezer.
How to Thaw Frozen Chicken Marsala:
- Transfer the frozen Chicken Marsala to your refrigerator the night before you wish to use it to allow it to thaw.
- Reheat it to at least 350 F for about 20 minutes before you consume it.
- Microwave the chicken or heat it up in the saucepan, you can also put it in a hot oven until it warms up.
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- 4-6 chicken breasts or bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 10 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms cleaned, stem removed and thickly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium and organic
- 2/3 cup Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bunch of fresh thyme optional
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons water
- Fresh parsley chopped
Follow me on InstagramFollow
Browning the Chicken:
- This step can be done in the Instant Pot or in a skillet on the stove. You can also skip it, and just broil the chicken at the end.
- Turn on Instant Pot and select SAUTE mode, adjust to HOT.
- Once the Instant Pot reads HOT, add the oil to the pot and let it warm up for a minute.
- Add the chicken to the hot oil, and brown on each side for a few minutes. Once the chicken is golden brown on each side, remove it from the pot and set it aside on a plate. Cover with foil to keep it warm.
- Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth to the hot pot and deglaze it, using a wooden spoon to scrape the sides and bottom on the pot.
Sautéing the Veggies:
- With the Instant Pot still on SAUTE mode, add diced onion, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add the sliced mushrooms and garlic, stir and cook for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are just tender.
- Add the dried herbs: basil, oregano, parsley, also salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken broth and 2/3 cup of Marsala wine. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken back to the pot on top of the mushrooms, skin side up. If preferred, add a bunch of fresh thyme.
- Close and secure the lid. Point knob to sealed and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 10 minutes, followed by a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release.
- Open the Instant Pot, discard thyme and gently transfer chicken thighs to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Broiling - optional:
- Lightly spray the chicken with cooking spray or brush with olive oil and broil for about 5 minutes, until crispy. Watch it carefully to not burn it.
- In the meantime, turn on SAUTE mode and add cream to the pot. Stir to combine and bring to a light simmer.
- In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and water until cornstarch is fully dissolved and add the mixture to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine and cook for a few minutes to thicken the sauce.
- If needed add more cornstarch and water mixture. Keep in mind that the sauce will thicken more once it cools.
- Transfer the creamy sauce to a large serving dish and place the chicken on top. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Enjoy weekly hand picked recipes and recommendations