Gluten Free Mac and Cheese is creamy and delicious and the perfect comfort food for busy weekdays. This is an easy recipe to prepare, and it only takes under one hour to make from start to finish.
This creamy homemade dish is what we regularly make for a last-minute dinner. You don’t need anything planned to quickly put this together, and enjoy one of the best comfort food. You can pair it with oven barbecue ribs, corned beef, or crockpot meatloaf.
Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese Casserole
Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese is super rich and creamy that you will not be able to have just one bowl of! I absolutely love this dish, because it is loaded with flavor. The recipe uses both Cheddar and Colby cheese, as the Cheddar brings the classic flavor of macaroni and cheese while the Colby makes it creamy and gooey.
If you prefer all Cheddar or other cheese, feel free to substitute to suit your tastes. We also like to add some Parmesan into the mix.
One of the most important ingredients to a successful gluten-free macaroni and cheese dish is the noodles. Therefore, it is important to go with the best option possible. Usually, I go with Barilla Gluten Free Elbow Pasta and totally love it. Similarly, you could use rice or brown rice pasta.
GLUTEN FREE MAC AND CHEESE recipe VARIATIONS
- Pasta: When cooking the pasta, it is important not to overcook it as it becomes bloated and mushy in the casserole. Therefore, try to keep it al dente. The pasta should be firm but yielding. However, if it is too crunchy when you bite into it, then cook for a little longer.
- Cheese: Use the combination of that you love. I combine cheddar, Colby, and Parmesan because it provides great flavor and creaminess. If you prefer to use all cheddar or all Colby, go ahead. Similarly, you can use sharp cheddar with parmesan.
- Topping: To add some crunchiness to this dish, you can top it with some gluten-free breadcrumbs prior to baking. Also, you could top it with some bacon, it works really well here!
Can I make Mac and Cheese dairy-free?
Even though it might sound odd, but you could definitely enjoy this recipe as both gluten-free and dairy-free. First, use vegan cheese, instead of the regular version.
Also, use Earth Balance butter sticks, and unsweetened almond milk. I think it is worth a try, and the flavors will still be pretty delicious!
Do you Cover Baked it with Foil?
Usually, I do not. If covered with foil, the dish will not get the nice brown and crunchy top. It will cause the steam to be kept inside it, which will not give this dish the nicely baked color.
What Goes With Gluten Free Mac and Cheese?
This is such a creamy and rich homemade meal, that it goes well with a lot of dishes. I like serving it with a fresh side salad even roasted veggies, such as asparagus.
What are the best cheeses to use?
There is not a right or wrong one to use, as it’s based on preference. However, for a deeper flavor, you can use cheddar, sharp cheddar, gouda, jack cheese, pepper jack cheese, mozzarella, or Velveeta.
Parmesan might be used for topping. Any combination used will work great in this recipe and will result in a rich and delicious dinner.
Can you make Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese in the Instant Pot?
Making this dish in the Instant Pot is very easy and fast. If I have had a busy day at work, coming home and throwing everything in the Instant Pot for a quick dinner makes cooking stress-free!
Also, when cooked under pressure this meal will be cooked faster, and also will blend the cheeses with pasta well, giving it a nice buttery texture. I have a delicious Instant Pot version of this dish, which can be accessed here. Just make sure to replace the pasta with the gluten-free version.
Can you store it?
Absolutely. Transfer the dish to an airtight container, and then store it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Make sure to close the container tightly, because it can absorb the smell of other food in the fridge.
How to Reheat this dish?
This meal is truly best enjoyed when it’s freshly made and warm. However, if you end up with refrigerated leftovers, it is best to reheat it properly. Always add a splash of milk or cream while heating, as it will make it creamier.
In reheating it in the microwave, just add it to the bowl and remember to stir everything together halfway through the reheating process.
- You can use your hands or a food processor to turn toast into crumbs for the topping.
- When boiling pasta, place a wooden spoon over the pot to keep it from over boiling.
- Similarly, rinse the pasta with cold water after draining it to keep it from cooking longer and getting mushy.
Best Gluten Free Mac and Cheese
Gluten Free Mac and Cheese is creamy and delicious and the perfect comfort food for busy weekdays.
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 1 hr
Buttery Cracker Topping (Optional):
Buttery Cracker Topping (Optional):