Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole (Video)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole is incredibly delicious, made with lots of mushrooms and tender chicken thighs. This casserole will make a perfect family dinner that everyone will love.
We like making easy and delicious Casseroles, because they are tasty, can feed a larger crowd, and usually make enough leftovers. Occasionally, we even prepare a few ahead of time, and freeze them to have dinner readily available for crazy weeknights. We often make this Cheesy Crack Chicken Casserole, White Pizza Casserole and obviously Mac and Cheese Casserole.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
Recipes with chicken and mushroom are among our favorites, and this one is a great combination of both. This Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole is very easy to make in the oven. With little time and effort, you will have a quick and delicious meal to serve. The dish is creamy, flavorful, and can feed a larger crowd. For this recipe, we used chicken thighs, because they give a richer and a more profound flavor. However, chicken breasts works perfectly fine as well.
How to make the best Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole:
- First, heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken thighs to the hot oil. Cook on both sides till golden.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the pan and set aside on a plate, cover with foil. Later you will transfer the chicken thighs to the casserole baking dish.
- Add the onion and garlic, cook a few minutes. Add mushrooms and dried herbs to the pan and cook for five minutes, or until softened.
- Spread mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Next, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the pan, add the flour and whisk it until lightly golden (1-2 minutes) and fully combined.
- Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup cream, whisk until smooth and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in Parmesan cheese until fully melted.
- Pour sauce over the mushroom mixture in the baking dish. Add chicken on top, skin side up. Then, cover with foil.
- After that, transfer the dish into the oven, and bake the casserole for 30-40 minutes at 375˚F.
- Before you remove it from the oven, discard foil cover and broil for a few minutes, until chicken is golden-brown.
- Just before serving, you can sprinkle the dish with chopped parsley.
Follow Sweet and Savory Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Pin This Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms Casserole Recipe to your Favorite Board
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole Recipe Tips:
- We used chicken thighs instead of chicken breast. This gives the casserole extra richness and flavor.
- Also, chicken thighs are far more tender than chicken breast.
- Use quality chicken broth. For store bought version, I go with Organic low-sodium broth.
- In addition, I added Parmesan cheese to this dish, to have a richer and creamier sauce.
Can you make this dish ahead of time?
You can make the Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole ahead, then cool, cover and refrigerate for a day. When ready to eat, reheat it in the oven (covered) at 350F for approximately 20-25 minutes.
How to serve Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole ?
HOW TO FREEZE THIS CASSEROLE:
- To freeze, transfer the mixture to a buttered 9-by-13-inch freezer-to-oven baking dish.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Bake, frozen and covered with foil, at 350°F, for 1 hour. Or, thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat in the oven.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole is incredibly delicious, made with lots of mushrooms and tender chicken thighs.
- 6 chicken thighs bone-in/skin-on or use chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil more if needed
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound Baby Bella mushrooms cleaned, stem removed and roughly sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth low sodium and preferably organic
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or half and half
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Arrange oven rack in the middle of the oven.
Very lightly grease a 9x13 inches casserole/baking dish and set aside.
Heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Once hot, add chicken thighs skin side down into the hot oil. Cook of both sides for about 1-2 minutes, until golden-brown.
Remove the chicken thighs from the skillet and set aside on a plate, cover with foil. Later you will transfer the chicken thighs to the casserole baking dish.
If needed add more oil to the pan and add the diced onion, cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and sauté another 1-2 minutes.
Add garlic and cook for another minute, stirring. Add sliced mushrooms, thyme, dried parsley, paprika, salt and pepper to the pan, stir and cook for about five minutes, or until softened.
Spread mushroom mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish.
Return pan to the stove over medium heat.
Next, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the same pan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk it until lightly golden and fully combined, about 1-2 minutes.
Slowly and still whisking, add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, whisk until smooth.
Add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, you can use light cream or half and half too Whisk until smooth and bring to a simmer for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese until fully combined and the cheese is melted.
Pour sauce over the mushroom mixture in the baking dish. If preferred, sprinkle some extra parmesan cheese. Add chicken on top, skin side up. Then, cover with foil.
Transfer the dish into the oven, and bake the casserole covered for 30-40 minutes, until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
Before you remove it from the oven, discard foil cover and broil for a few minutes, until chicken is golden.
Just before serving, you can sprinkle the dish with chopped parsley.
Chicken and Mushroom Casserole Recipe Video:
Made this Recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram and tag me at @sweetnsavorymeals or hashtag it #sweetandsavorymeals.