Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole is incredibly delicious, made with lots of mushrooms and tender chicken thighs. This casserole will make a perfect family dinner that everyone will love.
We like making easy and delicious Casseroles, because they are tasty, can feed a larger crowd, and usually make enough leftovers. Occasionally, we even prepare a few ahead of time and freeze them to have dinner readily available for crazy weeknights.
Homemade Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
Recipes with chicken and mushrooms are among our favorites, and this one is a great combination of both. This Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole is very easy to make in the oven. With little time and effort, you will have a quick and delicious meal to serve.
The dish is creamy, flavorful, and can feed a larger crowd. For this recipe, we used chicken thighs, because they give a richer and more profound flavor. However, chicken breasts work perfectly fine as well. You can also make it ahead and save it for later. It will taste even better as the flavors will sit together.
How to make the best Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole:
- First, heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken thighs to the hot oil. Cook on both sides till golden.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the pan and set aside on a plate, cover with foil. Later you will transfer the chicken thighs to the casserole baking dish.
- Add the onion and garlic, cook a few minutes. Add mushrooms and dried herbs to the pan and cook for five minutes, or until softened.
- Spread mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Next, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the pan, add the flour and whisk it until lightly golden (1-2 minutes) and fully combined.
- Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup cream, whisk until smooth and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in Parmesan cheese until fully melted.
- Pour sauce over the mushroom mixture in the baking dish. Add chicken on top, skin side up. Then, cover with foil.
- After that, transfer the dish into the oven, and bake the casserole for 30-40 minutes at 375˚F.
- Before you remove it from the oven, discard foil cover and broil for a few minutes, until chicken is golden-brown.
- Just before serving, you can sprinkle the dish with chopped parsley.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole Recipe Tips:
- We used chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. This gives the casserole extra richness and flavor.
- Also, chicken thighs are far more tender than the breasts.
- Use quality chicken broth. For the store-bought version, I go with Organic low-sodium broth.
- In addition, I added Parmesan cheese to this dish, to have a richer and creamier sauce.
Can you make this dish ahead of time?
You can make the Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole ahead, then cool, cover and refrigerate for a day. When ready to eat, reheat it in the oven (covered) at 350F for approximately 20-25 minutes.
How to serve Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole?
HOW TO FREEZE THIS CASSEROLE:
- To freeze, transfer the mixture to a buttered 9-by-13-inch freezer-to-oven baking dish.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Bake, frozen and covered with foil, at 350°F, for 1 hour. Or, thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat in the oven.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole is incredibly delicious, made with lots of mushrooms and tender chicken thighs.
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 1 hr
Cook Mushroom Mixture:
Cook Mushroom Mixture: