Bacon Fried Cabbage is delicious and super easy to make with only a few ingredients. It is flavorful and ready in less than 30 minutes!
The Best Bacon Fried Cabbage
Bacon Fried Cabbage is one of our favorite dishes to make year-round. It is easy to make with simple ingredients, resulting in such a flavorful and delicious side dish. All you need is four ingredients – cabbage, onion, garlic, and bacon, along with a few seasonings.
I guess the secret ingredients here are bacon and garlic, as it makes this recipe so amazingly delicious! Once you try it, you will be making it over and over again, it is that good!
If you have never fried or sauteed cabbage before, you need to try this dish. It is also budget-friendly and can be made with various toppings. For, example, you could replace the bacon with sausage, or for a vegetarian version, simply use potatoes instead. It tastes delicious either way.
We also like to keep the spices very simple and only use salt, pepper and a bit of paprika to add a smoky flavor to it. This is one of our most beloved dishes, and every time we make it, we cannot stop eating it!
WHAT IS FRIED CABBAGE?
It is a common Irish side dish that is made by pan-frying cabbage with onion, garlic, and basic spices. This side dish is served predominantly with corned beef. Also, it became very popular in the United States lately, where it got some variations to it. Southern bacon fried cabbage is a popular alternative to the traditional Irish version.
How to Make the Best Bacon Fried Cabbage?
As stated above, this is one of the easiest dishes to make, and it is one of the first sides to go on the table. We love to fry the cabbage in some bacon fat as this enhances the flavor tremendously. Below you can find the easy steps on how to best make this recipe:
- First, we cook the bacon until crisp and remove it to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Then, reserve about 2 tablespoons of the grease and saute the onions in it until soft.
- Next, add the cabbage to it along with some garlic and some salt and pepper and mix well for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
- Towards the end of cooking, mix the bacon into the cooked cabbage and then serve!
What goes with Bacon Fried Cabbage?
You can enjoy it as a full meal or side dish. It is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you’re super hungry, feel free to add a couple of fried eggs or a dollop of mayo to it. It also pairs well with:
- Use whatever type of bacon you like- regular, turkey or even vegan. However, if you are going with turkey or vegan bacon, just remember that they are not very oily and additional oil or butter must be added.
Don’t over-cook the cabbage or else the texture becomes very soft and mushy.
- Not a fan of bacon? Substitute with favorite sausage or diced ham.
- To make it vegetarian, omit the meat altogether. Also, you could use tofu or potatoes instead.
- Also, when cooking cutting the cabbage, ensure to cut it up in uniform size to ensure even cooking.
- To make it spicier, add some cayenne pepper or chili red pepper flakes to it.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Total time: 30 mins
- 1 pound sliced bacon (chopped into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium head cabbage (cored and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Chopped green onion
- Place a large cast iron skillet or non-stick deep pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon pieces in one layer and cook until crispy. If needed, cook in batches. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Discard the grease, leaving about 2-3 tablespoons.
- Add the sliced onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the chopped cabbage, toss and cook until tender, but still a little crispy, for about 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, and thyme. Toss and taste, if needed reduce heat to medium-low, cover the pan and cook cabbage for 15 more minutes, until the preferred tenderness is achieved.
- Before serving, mix in the cooked bacon, too and serve immediately.