Cabbage Soup is perfect for the cold weather! It is filling but low in calories, just the perfect recipe for those on a diet or trying to lose weight! Watch the short recipe video tutorial below and see how delicious this is!
One Pot Cabbage Soup Recipe
Cabbage Soup is hearty but you can eat it without the guilt. It is full of veggies after all. And I like having it with some whole grain bread to complete my dinner.
My family simply loves how a hot bowl of this dish warms us up during the cold autumn and winter nights. The colors alone make this dish appetizing and even kids who love meat do not mind when this is served.
I like making it when I have a surplus of fresh produce at home. Not only are the ingredients easy to find, but cooking the dish itself is also easy.
In this post, you will learn how to cook the soup on the stove, in the Instant Pot, and the Slow Cooker. With all those options you can choose from, I don’t see why you will not give it a try!
What is Cabbage Soup?
It is a dish full of nutritious veggies like cabbage, carrots, zucchini, etc. that are boiled and simmered in broth. Aromatics and various spices and seasonings also add aroma and flavors.
Is cabbage soup good for weight loss?
It can probably cause you to lose weight just for the fact that this dish has a few calories, to begin with. If you expend more energy than you take in, then, you could lose weight in the process.
However, experts have warned against this diet fad. This is for the reason that the program, which instructs people to limit their intake of other food except for this, is short-term.
This means that in a week, you could lose weight by strictly adhering to the program. But after sometime when your body has readjusted, then, you could gain all the weight back as fast as you lost them.
Remember that the key to a healthy weight is a balanced diet partnered with exercise. And this dish lacks much of the carbohydrates needed to sustain energy for exercising and protein to build muscles.
Hence, while this dish could lead to weight loss, it is not sustainable.
How do you make Cabbage Soup?
- Sauté: Heat some olive oil and saute the onions and garlic until the onions turn translucent.
- Boil and simmer: Stir in the tomato paste for about a few minutes, then, add in everything else.
- Serve: Let the whole thing simmer for about 30 minutes. Then, serve while hot.
How do you make Cabbage Soup in the Slow Cooker?
If you are not in a hurry, you can try making this recipe in the slow cooker. Simply add all the ingredients into the slow cooker. Then, cover the pot, and set it on HIGH to cook for 4 to 5 hours, or on LOW for 8 hours.
How do you make Cabbage Soup in the Instant Pot?
The steps are pretty much the same as you would have it cooked on the stove. The first step is to sauté the aromatics using the SAUTE function of the IP.
Then, add in the rest of the ingredients and cook using the SOUP function. After 20 minutes, perform the natural pressure release, then, serve.
How to Store:
- Refrigerate: Completely cool the soup and then, transfer into airtight containers. The soup can stay good for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: Transfer the soup into individual portions for faster thawing when needed. Freezing it will extend the shelf life to about 2 to 3 months.
- You can add other kinds of vegetables such as bell pepper. If you will be using green leafy ones, add them towards the end of the cooking time.
- Add protein by incorporating beans or chicken meat into the soup.
- Since this makes for a good freezer meal, then, make a huge batch. Simply freeze half of the batch for later.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 45 mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 head cabbage (chopped into 1-2 inches chunks)
- 3 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 small zucchini (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (sliced)
- 8 ounces green beans (trimmed and halved)
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or low sodium chicken broth)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven add the olive oil over medium heat. Once it starts simmering, add the onion and garlic, and cook until the onions are translucent, for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and the broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the veggies are tender.
- Serve hot.