Instant Pot Cabbage Soup is full of wholesome vegetables simmered in a flavorful stock for a hearty, yet light meal. This meal is perfect any time of the year, but especially when made with seasonal ingredients. This is one of the easiest soup recipes and it tastes even better the next day.
Instant pot recipes are always convenient and so easy to make. If you prefer this meal to be a bit heartier then check our Instant pot Cabbage Roll Soup or Instant Pot Cabbage Stew with ground meat. These are great quick dinner options, that are budget-friendly and that the whole family will love.
Instant Pot Vegan Cabbage Soup
This easy soup recipe tastes fresh, bright, and is packed with veggies. It’s one of our go-to comfort foods when it starts to get cold out, but it’s also perfect for summers when you have so many fresh vegetables on hand.
Also, making it in the pressure cooker takes almost no effort at all! While this dish is low in calories and very healthy, but it’s far from bland. The broth is well-seasoned with herbs, aromatics, and has a delicious acidity from the tomatoes.
It’s so full of flavor, that even meat-eaters will love it! Finally, this dish also freezes well. Double the recipe and freeze half so you can enjoy a bowl anytime you want.
This easy instant pot soup recipe is made with wholesome ingredients and requires minimal effort. Here is an overview of the simple list of ingredients you need:
- Vegetables: We’re using carrots, chopped bell peppers, sliced celery, green beans (they are optional, but great to add some – trim then slice into halves), and half a head of green cabbage sliced into chunks.
- Broth: Use vegetable broth for a vegetarian version. If you want a bit more of a bold flavor, use chicken broth or this homemade chicken stock.
- Herbs: You’ll need both dried Italian seasonings herbs and a dash of dried thyme.
- Seasonings: Fresh ground pepper and kosher salt.
- Aromatics: We’re using the classic duo of minced garlic and diced yellow onion.
- Olive oil: A healthy oil that’s perfect for sautéing aromatics. Some options are olive oil or avocado oil.
- Diced tomatoes and paste: Both add acidity and depth to the broth.
How to make Instant Pot Cabbage Soup Recipe?
- Sauté. First, turn on the IP and select the Sauté mode. Then, heat the oil, and sauté the onion and garlic until fragrant. Stir in the veggies, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Continue sauteing for a couple of minutes.
- Pressure cook. Next, add the remaining ingredients to the pot. And pressure cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Pressure Release: Once the pressure cooker beeps, carefully do a Natural Pressure Release for 10 minutes and after that a quick release.
- Seasoning: After that, carefully open the pot and season with more salt and fresh pepper if needed.
- Serve. Enjoy warm with some crusty bread on the side.
- Veggies: This recipe is very versatile, hence you can use any veggies you have on hand or need your immediate attention. Therefore, we suggest using green pepper, zucchini, or yellow squash. Red cabbage, Yukon gold potatoes, sweet potatoes, purple cabbage, fresh sweet corn, or zucchini.
- Greens: Also, for extra flavor and nutrients add some chopped kale or spinach.
- Meat: Want to make this recipe with meat? Then saute some ground beef, or other great options are ground chicken, ground turkey, or hot Italian sausage.
- Acidity: As an alternative, if you prefer the broth tangier, add a cut of tomato sauce, some lemon juice, white wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar.
- Spicier: For a spicier kick, add some dried red pepper flakes.
- Fresh herbs: Also, feel free to try a variety of flavors by adding fresh herbs like basil, oregano, cilantro, or parsley.
- Seasonings: Make it more interesting by using different seasonings like Taco Seasoning or Cajun seasoning.
- Grains: Bulk it up by stirring in some cooked white rice, brown rice, or noodles.
- Beans: As an option increase the veggie protein by adding beans or lentils.
Slow Cooker Version:
Want to whip up this recipe but too busy to watch over the Instant Pot? Then, follow this slow cooker cabbage soup recipe which takes even less effort.
Simply, place everything in the pot. Then, set on low for 8 hours or 4-5 hours on high. Finally, when done cooking stir it and taste for salt and pepper.
Stove top Version:
First, just like you would make the instant pot cabbage soup recipe, start by sauteing the aromatics in a large Dutch oven or a large pot. After that, add the veggies, herbs, seasonings, tomato paste, and diced tomatoes.
Next are the stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Then simmer for around 30 minutes until the veggies still retain a bit of crispiness but are cooked through and tender. You can check the full stovetop cabbage soup recipe here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is cabbage soup good for weight loss?
While we do not promote or encourage the cabbage soup diet, we recommend this healthy recipe as part of a healthy diet.
The recipe is very low in calories and is loaded with nutritious vegetables. Make sure it’s part of a balanced diet that’s appropriate for your health and lifestyle.
Also, we encourage you to discuss any weight-loss goals or questions with your nutritionist.
What to Serve with?
How to store:
- Store: Properly stored in an airtight container, you can keep it in the fridge for as long as 5 days. However, I highly recommend consuming it as soon as you can for the best texture of the veggies. Also, make sure you fully cool it before placing it in the fridge.
- Freeze: Actually this is a great freezer meal. Just add the cooled leftover to freezer bags, lay flat in the freezer, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw: Next, when ready to thaw, transfer the frozen soup from the freezer to the fridge and let it thaw overnight. Another option is to fill a casserole dish with warm water and place the frozen bag in it to thaw quicker.
- Reheat: Finally, when ready to serve just reheat it in the microwave or on the stove on medium heat. Also, make sure to taste and adjust it for salt and pepper.
More easy Instant Pot recipes:
- Do a Natural Release only for a few minutes, otherwise this will overcook the vegetables.
- Also, make sure to select fresh and flavor veggies that are crisp!
- As an alternative, make this soup with some canned vegetables as well. Like green beans, peas or mushrooms.
- Always taste and adjust for seaoning, to make sure the broth is flavorful!
Instant Pot Cabbage Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (diced)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and sliced into coins)
- 1/2 cabbage (chopped)
- 2 14. 5 ounces cans San Marzano diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 6-8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 3 bay leaves
- Fresh parsley leaves (finely chopped)
- Set Instant Pot to Saute mode.
- Once HOT, add olive oil, let it warm up, and add onion, cook for a few minutes, until soft.
- Add minced garlic, cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
- Add bell peppers, carrot, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Make sure you don't go over the MAX fill line of the pot.
- Close lid and set to Manual High Pressure for 5 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to reach high pressure, then it will cook for 5 minutes. Make sure you close the vent.
- When the timer goes off, do a 10-minute Natural Pressure Release. Then carefully open the vent and release any remaining steam.
- Open the Instant Pot, remove and discard the bay leaves and gently stir to combine the soup.
- Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Serve and garnish with chopped parsley.