Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower is really easy to make, healthy and so delicious. Served with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. This dish is naturally low in calories and carbs.
Easy Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower
Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower is very easy to make, I love making it as a healthy side dish and it only takes 3 minutes to cook it under pressure in the Instant Pot. Also, it is low in carb, low in calories, creamy and you only need a few ingredients to make it.
Although, you might think this is not a very tasty side dish, believe me, that is not true! The secret lies in flavoring them with just the right ingredients to take them from bland to mouthwatering. This is our favorite side dish, not to mention it is also low in carbs!
I like to call it the “basic layer” that you can just dress-up. I like serving this Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower topped with a runny egg, sliced avocado, and an extra drizzle of olive oil. This is a healthy side dish, that goes well with many meals. You could pair it with meatloaf, blackened chicken, spinach dip stuffed pork chops. Whichever way you decide to pair it, you are guaranteed to love this healthy, and delicious dish!
What do I need to make Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower?
- You only need two ingredients: cauliflower and water
- Also, you will need a steamer insert
- I used a 6q Instant Pot
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT MASHED CAULIFLOWER?
For a quick tutorial, watch the short recipe video attached. But the general steps are as follows:
- Add the steamer to the IP: Place the steamer basket inside the pressure cooker and add cauliflower florets.
- Cook it under high pressure: Add a cup of water, or for extra flavor, use chicken broth. Then, close the lid and cook for 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes mark, quickly release the pressure and open up the lid half-way. Let stand 3 minutes
- Mash the cauliflower: Once cooked, transfer it to a food processor or to a large bowl and use a potato masher to mash it. Season it with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve: Feel free to add additional toppings, such as butter, sour cream, and seasonings when serving.
Do I need a food processor to make Mashed Cauliflower?
You don’t need a blender or food processor to make this recipe. After you cook the cauliflower until it’s very soft, transfer it to a bowl and use a potato masher or even a fork to mash it.
What does Mashed Cauliflower taste like?
First, don’t fool yourself, it does not taste like mashed potatoes, but it tastes pretty amazing! And you can use your favorite topping or add-ins to make it just the way you like.
Additional Flavor options:
- For healthy mashed cauliflower: I like to do a drizzle of olive oil and season them with just salt and pepper.
- Add garlic: you can either use 1 tablespoon of minced garlic or some garlic powder. Also, season with salt and pepper. Or, you can add some cheese on top.
- Make it cheesy: you can add a tablespoon of butter and 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan Reggiano. Then, mix the cheese while the cauliflower is still warm. However, you can use your favorite cheeses or a mix of them. Feel free to add whatever you like the most.
- Add Jalapeno: 1 sliced jalapeno, mix in 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and top it with a dollop of cream cheese. Mix the cheese while the cauliflower is still warm.
- Loaded mashed cauliflower: bacon crumbs, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, top it with a dollop of sour cream, chopped chives or chopped green onions.
- French onion: caramelize one shallot with some minced garlic and fresh chopped thyme.
- Herbs: In addition, this recipe goes well with thyme, rosemary, parsley, or curry powder. This will add additional flavor to it.
- Chives: Simply add some chives on top, it is yummy!
How many calories are in the Mashed Cauliflower?
There are about 25 calories and 5 grams of carbs in one cup of raw cauliflower and about 5 cups make a medium cauliflower. You are looking at 125 calories per cauliflower before you add any toppings or add-ins.
What to serve with mashed cauliflower?
This dish pairs well with fish, meat, or poultry. Some of my favorite ways to pair it is with:
How do you store mashed cauliflower?
Cool cauliflower puree and refrigerate leftovers in containers for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze it?
Freeze leftovers in BPA-free containers or in freezer bags for up to three months. Thaw overnight in your refrigerator.
Other Pressure cooker Recipes You Can Make:
Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 large or 2 small cauliflower crowns
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Add a steamer basket to the bottom on the Instant Pot.
- Add one cup of water.
- Remove the core from the cauliflower and roughly chop it or break it with your hands into individual florets.
- Close the lid and set the valve to the Sealing position.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Do a quick release to release the pressure after the Instant Pot beeps.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor or to a large bowl and use a potato masher to mash it. Season it with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Optional: Add desired add-ins toppings listed in the post.
- Serve immediately with an additional drizzle of olive oil and freshly cracker pepper.
- You can easily reheat the mashed cauliflower in the microwave.