Homemade Pecan Pie with Bourbon (VIDEO)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Pecan Pie is unbelievably good and rich. The homemade crust is buttery, and the pecan filling has been flavored with bourbon.
Homemade pies are definitely my weakness, since I can never resist a buttery crust that basically melts in your mouth. This Homemade Pecan Pie recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or anytime you crave a good pie made from scratch. Similarly, my other popular pies are Homemade Apple Pie and Pecan Pie Pumpkin Cheesecake.
Homemade Pecan Pie
This Homemade Pecan Pie is probably one of the easiest homemade pies you can bake. Also, there is nothing more delicious than a homemade pie, in a buttery crust that melts in your mouth. This classic dessert is a crowd favorite, and just perfect for any occasion, or holidays. It is rich, flavorful, and the pecan filling is just irresistible. For this recipe, I went ahead and created my own pie crust. However, if you are short on time, the store bought pie crust will work just fine.
The dark corn syrup in this recipe really adds such a great flavor, because of the molasses that is in dark corn syrup. The sweetness of the pie is balanced by the crunchy pecans, and the touch of ground cinnamon really brightens the flavors up. It can be served warm or cold, with a scoop or two of your ice cream of choice.
Homemade Pecan Pie Recipe Tips
- For a richer flavor, I recommend using dark corn syrup.
- Also, chill the crust after putting it in the pie pan. This makes the crust flakier, by firming up the fat before baking. Similarly, it gives the gluten a chance to relax, so it doesn’t snap back when it’s baked.
- The pie can be served warm of cold. If you prefer it to be cold, then let it cool at room temperature and then refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours. This will give you nicer and cleaner slices when cut.
- Add semi-sweet chocolate chips or bits of baking chocolate for a chocolaty take on this pie recipe.
Follow Sweet and Savory Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Pin This Best Homemade Pecan Pie Recipe to your Favorite Board
How To Make The Perfect Pie Crust Tips
- Always use cold butter and shortening, this is very important!
- The water should be ice cold, so make sure you chill some in the freezer.
- First, mix all the ingredients except the water. I like using a pastry cutter or food processor to combine everything, but you can also use your hands.
- Next, add the cold water and mix to combine again.
- Then, roll the dough into a smooth ball, but make sure you don’t knead it much or work it. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- When ready to use, remove dough from the fridge and place it on a floured waxed paper sitting on a flat surface.
- Flatten the ball into a disk and using a rolling pin, roll it into a circle, starting from the center.
- Work quickly, this is also very important. Once at room temperature, the butter will change in temperature and start to affect the texture of the dough.
- Using the waxed paper, lift the dough and transfer it to a pie dish.
- Gently pierce a few holes with a fork, before adding the cheesecake layer and apple pie filling.
How To Make The Best Homemade Pecan Pie Filling
Homemade pecan pie filling is very easy to make and tastes so much better than the canned version. To make the Pecan pie layer, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 or 2 cups roasted pecans, depends how much nuts to filling ratio you prefer
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 cup dark corn syrup or dark maple syrup
- ½ cup cream, lukewarm
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- First, mix brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Then, add the mixture to a sauce pan over low-medium heat.
- Next, whisk in egg yolks, dark corn syrup and cream. Stir and simmer.
- Remove from heat, stir in cold butter until fully dissolved.
- Fold in chopped roasted pecans.
WHAT TO SERVE THE PECAN PIE WITH?
You can serve this delicious Pecan Pie with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of your preferred ice cream.
WHAT SHOULD I BAKE THE PECAN PIE IN?
- For perfectly cooked pie, I recommend using a Ceramic Non Stick Dish.
HOW TO FREEZE THE PECAN PIE
- First, make sure the pie has fully cooled and also was refrigerated for at least 6 hours.
- Then, wrap the Pecan Pie tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place in a heavy-duty freezer bag.
- Properly stored, it will maintain best quality for about 2 to 3 months.
Homemade Pecan Pie Recipe Video:
Homemade Pecan Pie
Homemade Pecan Pie is unbelievably good and rich. The homemade crust is buttery and the pecan filling has been flavored with bourbon.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cold and diced
- 1/4 cup shortening cold and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- 3-4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1/3 cups pecans roasted and chopped
- 1 cup dark brown sugar light brown sugar also works
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks room temperature
- 1 cup dark corn syrup or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream lukewarm
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cold and diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup bourbon optional, it may be skipped if you don't want to use alcohol
- 22 pecan halves
- Add flour, salt, brown sugar and cinnamon to a food processor. Add butter and shortening and process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the water and pulsate to combine. The dough should come together and look shiny and well blended. If its still too dry, add one more tablespoon of water.
- The dough can also be made in a large bowl, using a pastry blender or your fingers.
- Shape the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to use, place waxed paper on a flat surface and lightly dust with flour.
Roll the dough ball out to fit a 9 inch pie dish or 10 1/2 inch pie dish.
- Transfer crust to the pie plate and press evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie dish.
- If not using canned pecan pie filling, follow the below instructions to make your own.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, cornstarch and salt, whisk to combine.
- Place a sauce pan over low medium heat, add the sugar mixture to it.
- Whisk in the egg yolks, dark corn syrup or maple syrup and cream, until smooth. Stir continuously and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until the mixture thickens like a pudding, 5-10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cold diced butter until fully melted.
Stir in vanilla extract and bourbon if using.
Add chopped pecans to the bottom of the prepared pie crust. Distribute evenly and pour the pie filling mixture on top. Level the top with a spatula.
- Top with the remaining pecan halves.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Adjust the top rack to be positioned in the middle of the oven.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 20 minutes. Check on the pie, when its down it should be just slightly jiggly and the pecans should look golden brown. If the pie is still not settled, cover and bake for another 10 mins or as needed.
- Remove from oven, discard foil cover and let it cool on a wire rack for several hours.
- Once cooled, transfer to the fridge for the mixture to settle.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Made this Recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram and tag me at @sweetnsavorymeals or hashtag it #sweetandsavorymeals.