The Creamy Sweet Potato Soup is an ideal comforting appetizer for your upcoming dinner party! It is light, with a sweet and savory note to it, making it the most flavorful and delicious soups!
The Best Sweet Potato Soup
This Creamy Sweet Potato Soup recipe is super easy to prepare. You can finish it in under an hour, giving you enough time to do other dishes! The spud is naturally sweet so making it savory balances out all the sweetness.
Also, it makes for a great appetizer, a side dish, or even a main dish! Just serve it with some greens, or dinner rolls, and you get yourself a light, and delicious dinner. I love having it during the fall season or wintertime.
The warmth is so comforting and cozy! In addition, you can make a big batch and store some for later. It is highly nutritious and since it is so yummy, this dish is a great way to introduce veggies to kids. Try this amazing dish, and you will thank us later!
What is Sweet Potato Soup?
It is made with sweet potatoes boiled in broth and seasoned with spices. Then, it is pureed to perfection for a smooth and creamy side dish. We recommend to best served it warm. It is one of the best comfort food that you can enjoy in fall or winter!
What are the benefits of sweet potato?
This root vegetable is highly nutritious, abundant, and inexpensive. Also, it stores well, so you can buy a lot of it for later use. This veggie is easy to cook and can be enjoyed in many ways. This soup recipe is just one of the many recipes that we have for it. Not only is it versatile, but is also very healthy!
According to USDA, 100 grams of this spud only has 86 calories. Aside from the energy it gives, it has a good amount of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
The root vegetable contributes to a healthy digestive system, helps fight cancer, and promotes healthy vision and brain function. It is filling without the guilt!
How do you make sweet potato soup?
- Sauté: Use a large pot for making this dish. Then, sauté the aromatics in olive oil.
- Add the spuds: Add in the curry paste, peanut butter, and the spuds. Next, add the salt and vegetable broth.
- Boil: Let it boil then, reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the spuds are soft enough such that the fork can easily pierce through the pieces.
- Add the cream: Add the spices and the cream. Stir well.
- Blend: Scoop the cooked soup into a blender and process until smooth.
- Season: Add salt and pepper to taste, and depending on your taste, you can add more of the spices. Also, feel free to put it back on the pot to reheat or to add more broth if you think it is too thick.
- Serve: Serve it while hot, and garnish with peanuts, cilantro, and a drizzle of cream.
Can you make it dairy-free?
Yes! You can substitute coconut milk with the dairy. It melds well with the curry.
Sweet Potato Soup Toppings Suggestions:
Here are some suggestions that you can try:
- Bacon bits and cheese
- Fried shallots
How to Store:
- Refrigerate: Put it in an airtight container when cooled, and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
- Freeze: You can freeze it for 4 to 6 months, stored in freezer bags.
- To reheat: Allow 24 hours of thawing time then, reheat on the stove. During reheating, if you find that it tends to separate, whisk it to combine or pulse it in the blender.
Best tips on how to freeze it:
If you know that you are going to freeze it for later, then, here are some guidelines:
- Always let it cool completely before freezing it. This is for food safety purposes than anything else.
- Liquid expands when it freezes. So, allow it to do so without breaking the container by leaving out space. An inch of headspace may be enough.
- Do not freeze it if it has dairy in it. Instead, it is better to add the dairy when you reheat it.
- To make it paleo, skip the dairy and use coconut milk.
- You can roast the spuds, onions, and garlic first in the oven. Drizzle them with olive oil and seasonings, then, puree in the blender along with the broth.
- Feel free to add in carrots and cauliflower without altering much the overall taste.
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 45 mins
Nutrition informationCalories: 272 Carbohydrates: 35 Protein: 6 Fat: 13 Saturated Fat: 3 Cholesterol: 4 Sodium: 962 Potassium: 598 Fiber: 5 Sugar: 11 Vitamin A: 20090 Vitamin C: 5 Calcium: 102 Iron: 1