Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup is creamy, thick, rich, and flavorful, also hassle-free and comforting! This warm dish is perfect for the cold weather!
I like buying this vegetable in bulk because it keeps well and is versatile. It is perfect for autumn with its flavor, just like our recipes for Pumpkin Pie, Blueberry French Toast Casserole, and Creamed Spinach. Check them out!
Crockpot Sweet Potato Soup
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup may not be the quickest to make but this recipe is hassle-free. And what I mean by that is that you can just put the ingredients in the crockpot and then, forget it for a while.
Yes, it is possible! Using the crockpot has that advantage and more. Slow-cooking helps bring out the flavors which in turn meld beautifully for a long time and are not destroyed by high heat.
And this recipe for spuds is a winner in my book! While the spuds are naturally sweet and creamy, those qualities are amplified multiple times in this dish.
Let the richness of this vegetable go hand in hand with the spices, seasonings, and the dairy. And, this recipe is quite versatile, too. As long as you think that certain flavors go well with it, then, you can substitute freely. Try it now!
What do you need to make Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup?
Aside from the sweet potatoes, you will need the following:
- aromatics: onions, garlic, and ginger provide depth
- spices: curry paste, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, peppers, and salt go well with the sweet potatoes’ earthy flavors
- liquids: to make the base, use low-sodium broth
- cream: add heavy cream and peanut butter for a richer taste and to make it more creamy
- toppings: more cream, cilantro, and nuts are great choices
Also, you will need a masher or a blender to puree the spuds and turn them into a smooth and thick soup.
How to make Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup?
- Prep the ingredients: Wash and dice the spuds into uniform pieces. Put it in the crockpot along with the rest of the ingredients except for the dairy and the toppings.
- Cook: Set it on high for 4 hours, or on low and for 6 hours until the spuds are fork-tender.
- Puree: Using a stick blender, mash and puree the spuds.
- Serve: Add dairy and adjust the taste if needed. Add toppings on the top and serve.
Slow Cooker Soup Making Tips:
To make the best out of the crockpot, learn these few basic things:
- Add dairy in the end: It will curdle if added at the beginning. So, it is better to add it towards the end or right before serving.
- Less liquid: Do not put too much liquid, just enough to cover the veggies.
- Add spices in the beginning: You can add the spices and seasonings along with the veggies so that the flavors will meld for a longer time. Avoid adding rosemary at the start though as it becomes bitter when cooked for a long time.
- Sauté first: While you can put the ingredients directly into the crockpot for most recipes, it still pays to sauté meat along with the aromatics before slow-cooking. This releases much of the flavors in them, too, which makes your soup more delicious.
The sweet and creamy sweet potatoes can be substituted with other veggies of the same texture and taste. Best alternatives are:
- butternut squash
- white potatoes
How to Store:
- Refrigerate: Chill this in the fridge for no more than 4 days.
- Freeze: This freezes well in freezer bags for up to 6 months. However, do not add any dairy yet as it does not freeze well.
- This can also be prepared in the Instant Pot and check this out if you wish to learn the stovetop version.
- Other toppings that you may like are cheese and bacon with sour cream or some fresh coriander to go with coconut milk and dried chilies.
- Make sure that the spuds are cut as uniform as possible to ensure that everything cooks at the same rate.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 6 hours 30 minutes Total time: 6 hrs 45 mins
- 1 sweet onion (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (minced)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (plus more if needed)
- 6 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped peanuts or pecans
- Drizzle of cream
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Wash and dice the sweet potatoes.
- Add to the crockpot all of the ingredients except for the heavy cream and the toppings.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low and for 6 hours until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Using an immersion blender, mash and puree the soup until you get a creamy consistency.
- Add the heavy cream and adjust the taste if needed. Cook for another 30 minutes.
- Serve with the suggested toppings.