Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken is a dish made with tender chunks of white meat in a vibrant and flavorful sauce, cooked to perfection using the crockpot.
Crockpot Bourbon Chicken
Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken is part of our regular menu rotation at home because this recipe is tasty without the hassle. I love how the sauce makes the tender bite-sized pieces of the meat even more moist and tasty.
It even tastes better than Chinese takeout in my opinion. The long hours of cooking ensure this as it gives the flavors to meld well.
And the ingredients used are basic ones. I only need some chicken breasts or thighs, and a bunch of condiments and seasonings that I already have. So, prepping is also totally hassle-free!
I don’t mind the long wait because while this is being prepared in the crockpot, I can do errands and other tasks. It is always possible with a crockpot recipe like this. All these while making dinner!
What is bourbon chicken?
It is a popular takeout dish made with chunks of poultry, usually skinless, that are cooked in a sauce with bourbon whiskey as an ingredient. But, through the years, many versions of it had come up including those without alcohol.
And it is also attributed to the Bourbon Street in New Orleans. Hence, this dish is also attributed to Cajun cuisine as much as it is attributed to Chinese cuisine.
What is bourbon sauce made of?
In this recipe, you will need these basic ingredients:
- low sodium soy sauce
- brown sugar
- rice wine vinegar
- apple juice
To thicken, you will also need cornstarch and water or apple juice.
Additional flavors come from the following:
- red pepper flakes
- chili powder
How to make Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken?
- Prep the crockpot: You may want to spray the crockpot with cooking spray.
- Make the sauce: In a bowl, mix the sauce ingredients.
- Cook: Put the meat in the crockpot and pour the sauce over it. Set it to low (may take up to 7 hours) or high (may take up to 4 hours).
- Thicken: Remove the meat and pour the cornstarch mixture. Allow the sauce to thicken.
- Serve: Put the meat back in, stir, garnish, then serve.
What can I substitute for bourbon?
You may use chicken broth or apple cider vinegar and apple juice. You can also use pineapple juice if you have no apple juice.
What to serve with Bourbon Chicken?
You will enjoy it served with rice, veggies, or noodles. Here are some side dishes that you can serve:
Can you make it on the stovetop?
Yes! You can simply prepare it on the stovetop using this one-pan recipe. Don’t worry, this stovetop version is just as easy!
How to store leftovers?
- Refrigerate: If you have some left, you may allow the leftovers to cool and transfer them into an airtight container. Then, refrigerate for up to 3 or 4 days.
- Freeze: To extend the shelf life, you can freeze the leftovers placed in a freezer bag for up to 3 or 4 months. Thaw overnight first before reheating.
More delicious chicken recipes:
- If you intend to cook this longer, you may want to cook the meat uncut. Then, before thickening the sauce, remove the big cuts and chop into smaller pieces or shred.
- Add heat by adding Sriracha.
- Bourbon can also be used in desserts. Try this Pecan Pie recipe!
Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 7 hours 30 minutes Total time: 7 hrs 45 mins