Shake and Bake Pork Chops [Video]
Last updated on June 12th, 2022 at 06:08 pm
Shake and Bake Pork Chops are super crispy and tender, baked on one sheet with vegetables, and ready in less than one hour. This one-pan meal will indulge the whole family and makes for easy cleanup. The perfect dinner with roasted carrots, onions, and potatoes on the side.
If you and your family love pork chops, try this recipe for Crispy Baked Pork Chops with parmesan cheese and boneless chops. Chicken lovers will also enjoy this great recipe for Air Fryer Chicken and Broccoli. For more one-pan meals, our recipe for Honey Garlic Chicken and Rice would make a tasty dinner.
Easy Shake and Bake Pork Chops
Shake and Bake Pork Chops are coated with the delicious panko breadcrumb mixture and baked to golden brown perfection. Seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, and a blend of other seasonings, this delicious recipe will make you want to cook pork chops every night.
This recipe brings all the childhood memories, and the home-based seasoning takes this dish to a whole new level. To make this a full meal, we baked the pork chops with potatoes, red onions, and carrots. Similarly, you can mix the Shake and Bake Pork Chops with your favorite veggies, such as asparagus, broccoli, or bok choy.
This great recipe of the homemade version of shake-n-bake pork chops will have everyone asking for your secret. Your whole family will love this quick weeknight dinner and you will love how easy it is to make.
Clean-up is a breeze with just one pan to wash and if you use parchment paper, it will be an easy clean up too. The shake n bake pork chops go perfectly with the carrots and potatoes to make a hearty meal in minutes.
The nice thing about the breadcrumb coat is that it does two functions. First, it gives the pork chops the perfect golden color and crunchiness, and secondly, it preserves the moisture and gives the pork chops a nice and juicy center.
The homemade shake and bake pork chops ingredients are below. Scroll down to our recipe card for the exact measurements and complete instructions.
- Bone-in pork chops
- Potatoes: Cut into chunks.
- Carrot: Cleaned and cut into diagonal pieces.
- Red onion: Quartered.
- Olive oil
- Panko breadcrumbs: Double the amount if you are tossing them twice.
- Large eggs: Whisked.
- Salt and black pepper: To taste.
- Dried ranch seasoning mix
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried Italian herbs seasoning
How to make a shake and bake pork chops recipe?
- Preheat: First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and prepare a large, rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or olive oil.
- Clean and cut: Meanwhile, clean your vegetables and pat them dry before cutting them. Put the potatoes, carrots, and onion chunks into a large bowl with olive oil.
- Season the veggies: Then, combine all the seasoning mix in a small bowl and stir before adding half of it to the vegetables. Toss to combine and arrange your veggies in one layer on half of the prepared baking sheet pan.
- Bake: Next, bake the veggies in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Whisk: Meanwhile, whisk the milk and eggs in a large bowl and set them aside.
- Make the mix: Next, use a separate large bowl to mix the panko bread crumbs with the rest of the seasoning mix.
- Coat your shake and bake pork chops: After the veggies are done, season your pork chops with salt and black pepper. Then, use tongs to dip each of the pork chops into the egg wash and then the bread crumbs mixture. Repeat this process if you want them to have a thicker breading.
- Cook pork chops: Last, place the shake and bake pork chops on the other half of the baking sheet pan. Cook pork chops for 10 to 12 minutes or until the coating is golden brown. Flip over, toss the veggies, and cook pork chops for another 12 to 13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Rest and serve: Finally, serve your homemade shake and bake pork chops immediately with the veggies and some parsley for garnish.
How to make air fryer shake and bake pork chops:
- Prepare vegetables: To begin, clean the vegetables before cutting them. Dry them to remove excess moisture and put the onions, carrots, and potato chunks into a large bowl. Toss them in olive oil until coated.
- Preheat: Next, preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Coat the veggies: Then, add all bread crumbs mixture ingredients to a small bowl, stirring to combine. Put half the mix into the bowl of veggies and toss to combine.
- Fry the veggies: After, arrange the veggies in your air fryer basket in a single layer and fry for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Prepare the breading: While the veggies cook, whisk the eggs and milk together in a large bowl and combine bread crumbs and the rest of the seasoning mix into a different large bowl.
- Coat the shake and bake pork chops: Next, use salt and black pepper to season each pork chop, and then use tongs to dip each one in the milk and egg mixture before tossing it in the bread crumbs mix. Place each pork chop on a baking sheet pan until you finish the remaining pork chops.
- Extra crispy: Check the bread crumbs and add more if they are too wet. Then, dip the shake and bake pork chops in the milk and egg mix before the coating to make them extra crispy.
- Cook the pork chops: Remove the veggies and put the shake and bake breaded pork chops in a single layer in your air fryer. Cook for 18 to 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. Flip and then cook for another five minutes or until the coating is golden brown.
- Serve your homemade shake and bake pork chops: Lastly, serve immediately with the veggies on the side and garnish with parsley.
- More flavor: If you want more flavor in your shake n bake pork chops, add some extra onion powder or garlic powder.
- Omit seasonings: Alternatively, you can change this shake n bake recipe to your preferences by omitting certain herbs, spices, or seasonings.
- Plain bread crumbs: Instead of panko, you can also use plain bread crumbs or even corn flakes with seasoning salt.
- Celery salt: Try adding celery salt to your breading mixture for a unique flavor. However, if you use celery salt, omit the kosher salt.
- Different meat: Feel free to use boneless chicken tenders or bone-in chicken instead of pork chops. However, you may have to adjust the cooking time. Also, make sure your meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F internal temperature before serving.
- Other oil: You can also use vegetable oil or canola oil instead of olive oil for your shake and bake pork chops.
How to serve:
Homemade shake n bake pork chops with carrots and potatoes make the perfect one-pan dinner. This shake and bake recipe is easy to do and tastes absolutely delicious. Here are some other serving suggestions you can try:
- These delicious pork chops go well with the potatoes and carrots in the recipe, but you can also add other veggies like zucchini, asparagus, and pea pods.
- You could also sprinkle some kind of cheese on top. Parmesan cheese would be great.
- Use leftover pork chops for other recipes such as our moo shu pork or these savory grilled pork skewers.
- Leftovers would also be perfect for casseroles or stew.
- Drizzle some teriyaki sauce or our tangy honey mustard sauce on top of each pork chop before serving.
Frequently asked questions
Is there a difference between pork and chicken shake n bake?
The only difference is the herbs and spices. The chicken variety uses specific poultry seasonings while the pork shake n bake recipe is specifically blended for pork.
Why are my homemade shake and bake pork chops soggy?
You may have used too much of the egg and milk mixture. Make sure you shake gently and let them drip a bit before tossing them in the bread crumb mixture. If they are soggy due to grease, try using a broiler pan or wire rack on top of the baking sheet pan.
How can I get the breadcrumb mixture to stick to my homemade shake and bake pork chops?
The first thing to remember is to dry each pork chop thoroughly on both sides before you start coating them. Another trick is to dip your pork chops in flour or corn starch before dipping them in the egg and milk mixture. You can also let each coated pork chop rest for a minute before the second coating.
How long do you bake shake and bake pork chops?
For this shake and bake pork chops version, we have used bone-in pork chops, about 1 inch thick. It is best to cook them at 400°F for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown. For boneless center-cut pork chops, the cooking time will be about the same.
If you cook the pork chops at a lower temperature, such as 350°F degrees, the cooking time should be about 40 minutes. Please note, that cooking at a lower temperature will make the pork chops have a softer crust.
How do you make baked pork chops crispy?
The secret to making the pork chops crispy is to bake them at a higher temperature. For best results, we recommend you bake them at 400°F for about 25 minutes. Similarly, you could bake them at 425°F for about 18-20 minutes.
Can I use boneless pork chops?
Yes, you can use boneless pork chops, but we have found that bone-in pork chops are usually juicier and more tender. Some say they even have more flavor. However, with our homemade shake and bake pork chop recipe, the moisture and flavor are locked in by the breadcrumb mixture.
What if I do not have any ranch seasoning?
You can make your own ranch seasoning for your homemade shake and bake pork chops.
Mix the following ingredients:
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
Can you fry Shake and Bake Pork Chops?
If you wish to pan-fry your coated pork chops, use a small amount of vegetable oil that is low in saturated fats like canola oil. Fry the pork chops in a large skillet over medium-high heat, for about 5 minutes on each side.
Are Pork Chops healthy or good to eat on a diet?
Pork chops are lower in fat and calories than some other cuts of pork, including ribs. They are great as a part of an overall healthy and balanced diet but keep the serving size to about 3 ounces to avoid consuming too much fat or calories. A
dd more nutrients by serving the pork chops with roasted veggies or salad. Avoid frying them and keep the breading light to cut on calories.
How to store leftovers:
- Store: After they cool to room temperature, you can store your leftover shake n bake pork chops in an airtight container or gallon size zip baggie in the fridge for up to four days.
- Freeze: You can also freeze your pork chops for up to three months.
- Thaw: Remember to thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
- Reheat: To reheat, put your pork chops in a microwave-safe dish and heat in the microwave for one or two minutes.
More pork chops recipes:
Oven-Baked Pork Chops Cooking Tips:
- Make sure the internal temperature of your shake n bake pork chops is 145 degrees F with a meat thermometer before removing them from the oven.
- Another way to coat your pork chops with coating mix is to add all the seasonings to a large ziplock baggie and shake gently. Just like the original Shake n Bake recipe.
- The nutrition/calories for a serving size of one pork chop using your own homemade shake n bake is 516 calories, 32 grams of carbs, and 7 grams of fat. However, it also has 44 grams of protein and is high in vitamin A, calcium, and iron.
- Because you get to choose what goes into your seasoning, it is easy to alter the recipe to fit your needs. If you are on a low-sodium diet, you can use salt substitute and if you are worried about calories, use whole wheat flour instead of panko bread crumbs.
- Get the highest quality of pork chops you can find. Organic is a good choice, but the main important quality is the color. The best pork chops are a reddish-pink color, not a light pink. The darker the meat, the better it tastes.
- Do not keep the leftover breadcrumbs if they have met raw pork or chicken.
Shake and Bake Pork Chops
- 4-5 bone-in pork chops
- 2 pounds potatoes (cut into chunks)
- 1 carrot (clean and cut into chunks diagonally)
- 1 red onion (quartered)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (double if tossing in twice)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs (whisked)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 packet dried ranch seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly coat with olive oil a large rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- Clean and cut the veggies, and pat dry to remove any excess moisture. Add potatoes, carrots, and onion to a large bowl. Add olive oil.
- In a small bowl add all the "Seasoning Mix" ingredients, and stir to combine. Add half of the seasoning mix to the bowl with veggies and toss to combine. Arrange the veggies on half of the prepared baking sheet in one layer and transfer them to the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs and the milk in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add the panko bread crumbs to a large bowl and combine with the remaining seasoning mix.
- Once the potatoes have been baking for 20-25 minutes. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Using tongs, take a pork chop, dip it into the milk mixture, and toss it into the breadcrumb mix. Place on the other half of the baking sheet. Repeat with the others.
- Ensure the breadcrumb mixture is not soggy or wet after dipping the first pork chops, if needed add more panko breadcrumbs. For a thicker coating, after the first round of dipping, dip each pork chop again into the milk mixture and breadcrumb mixture. In that case, the panko breadcrumb quantity should be doubled.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the coating is golden brown. Flip the pork chops onto the other side, toss the veggies, and bake for another 12-13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
CommentsLeave a reply