Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are deliciously stuffed with fried ham, bacon, cheese and topped with perfectly runny eggs.
Easy Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese sandwiches are the ultimate breakfast, lunch or dinner meal that you will want to make over and over again. One single bite will have you run to the kitchen and cook another one.
These sandwiches are made with fried cubed ham and bacon that are placed between two slices of white bread smothered in mayo and a bit of cranberry jam.
Two types of cheese are added: Gruyere and American. The crispy sandwiches are topped with the perfect runny eggs that drip all over the cheesy goodness hidden inside. We can’t think of a better “grilled cheese”, and hands down, this is our favorite one.
Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Tips:
- I like to use Smithfield anytime cubed ham in this recipe, but you can use sliced ham as well.
- Also, I like using gruyere and American cheese. Another great combo is provolone cheese and sharp cheddar or you can go for a spicy cheese.
- I used white sandwich bread to make them. However, ciabatta and sourdough also taste amazing in this recipe.
- Also, this recipe works well with bread that is slightly older. If your bread is fresh from the store, wait a few days before you use it.
- The cranberry spread is optional, but it adds a nice and subtle sweetness and tartness to the sandwich.
- Fry the egg over medium, place it inside the sandwiches and pack them for to-go.
- You can also make these the night before, but in that case, use bread like sourdough or ciabatta, and you can reheat the sandwiches in the microwave later.
- For the best taste, obviously, you should serve the sandwiches immediately with a runny egg on top.
Why do they call it a Monte Cristo sandwich?
It is believed that this sandwich is a variation of a French dish called Croque Monsieur which is very similar. It is basically a grilled cheese sandwich consisting of Gruyere cheese and lean ham.
Then, layered between two slices of crust-less bread, fried in clarified butter and made in a special grilling iron with two metal plates.
MORE BRUNCH RECIPES:
- Blueberry Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Cherry Lemon Danish Braid
- Best Ever Coffee Cake
Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Recipe Video:
Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Total time: 25 mins