Last updated on May 14th, 2022 at 06:36 pm
Instant Pot Lemon Blueberry Banana Bread is buttery, moist, and loaded with fresh blueberries. It has a fresh citrus flavor and sweet lemon icing. The perfect summer dessert that is also super easy to make!
Lemon Blueberry Banana Bread
Instant Pot Lemon Blueberry Banana Bread is another amazing twist to our favorite Instant Pot Banana Bread! This time, we’re adding in juicy blueberries plus lemon for a light and fresh-tasting treat.
Another secret to making this recipe moist is by adding sour cream to it. This keeps the dessert soft and fresh for several days, and you can jazz it up with nuts, chocolate, and all sorts of delicious things.
We love baking in the IP because it’s so easy and fool-proof. As a bonus, there’s no hot oven to deal with or a ton of pans to wash. As long as you follow the exact cooking times, you can do other things while the IP takes care of everything else, and come back to a perfect dessert!
Every bite of this lovely treat will remind you of summer, but we guarantee you’ll be making this over and over. In fact, our friends and family request this often. Say hello to your new favorite banana bread!
- Bananas: You’ll need about 1.5 cups, which roughly equals 3 pieces.
- Lemon: We’re using the zest and juice of a lemon.
- Blueberries: A full cup of berries go into this dessert!
- Wet ingredients: Prepare equal amounts of butter and any neutral oil (canola/vegetable oil recommended), a couple of fresh eggs, plus vanilla. We’re also adding sour cream to keep this bread moist for days!
- Dry: Finishing the batter is regular flour plus baking powder, a little salt, and baking soda.
- Sweetener: Since the bananas and blueberries are already naturally sweet, we only need a cup of sugar for this recipe.
- Glaze: Topping off our dessert is a tangy glaze made of more lemon juice, fresh milk, and powdered sugar.
How to make homemade instant pot lemon blueberry banana bread?
- Blend: First, mix the mashed fruit together with the oil and butter, followed by the sweetener plus lemon juice and zest. Add sour cream. Then, mix in the dry just until combined— a few dry spots are fine. Finally, stir in the berries. Pour all of it into your pan (greased), then cover with foil.
- Cook: Next, pour water into the pressure cooker. Lower the pan inside on a trivet. Then, cook on high for about 55 mins., then let it stand for 15 to 20 mins. to release steam. Finish by unsealing the vent afterward. Cool for about 10 mins. after taking the pan out.
- Mix the glaze. Meanwhile, whisk all icing ingredients until combined and smooth.
- Release: Place the push pan over a very sturdy jar or cup. After that, carefully push down until the bread is released.
- Serve: Glaze with the lemon icing, slice, and enjoy!
Recipe variations and substitutions:
- Other kinds of citrus: Try orange, lime, or Meyer lemons.
- Add nuts: Toasted, crushed almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts, cashews, and other nuts add excellent texture.
- Chocolate: Throw in some chopped chocolate or chocolate chips!
- Mixed berries: Replace some of the blueberries with raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, and cranberries, or a mixture of all of them.
- Jam swirl: Swirl your favorite jam flavor into the batter, or add big dollops before cooking.
- Less sweet: Feel free to reduce the amount of sugar for a less sweet treat.
- Sour cream alternative: If you don’t have sour cream, you can use plain regular or Greek yogurt instead.
- Bake it: Make it in the oven using this banana bread recipe.
How do you correctly zest a fresh lemon?
First, the best tool to use is a micro-plane so you get the fine zest. In addition, grate only until you reach the white part— it’s bitter, so don’t include it in the zest.
What to serve with homemade IP lemon blueberry bread?
More bread recipes to try:
How to store and freeze the bread?
Before freezing or storing it in the refrigerator, make sure it’s completely cool it can become soggy. In addition, we don’t recommend storing this on the counter because it has fruit, so it’s safest when chilled.
- In the fridge: Store in an air-tight container and keep chilled for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Freeze as individual slices or as an entire loaf. Then, wrap in cling and foil before storing frozen for up to 3 months. To enjoy, defrost overnight let it come to room temp or eat straight out of the fridge!
Finally, this bread tastes amazingly cold. But we highly recommend microwaving it for a few seconds— tastes fresh baked!
- Use overripe bananas that have brown skin and are almost mushy inside. Otherwise, they won’t incorporate with the batter, and the crumb won’t be as tender.
- You can use frozen blueberries, but make sure to defrost and drain very well.
- When zesting, don’t include the white part under the skin or it will impart bitterness to the batter.
Instant Pot Lemon Blueberry Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Spray a 7x3-inch springform pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix mashed bananas with softened butter and oil. Add in sugar, lemon juice, zest, and beat until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla extract. Beat in the sour cream. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Using a rubber spatula, mix just until combined.
- Stir in the blueberries with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Cover with foil tightly, leave room on top for expansion.
- Add 1 ½ cups water to the inner pot. Place cake pan onto a trivet with handles or sling made of foil and lower into the pot on the trivet.
- Lock the lid and make sure the vent valve is set to "sealing."
- Select HIGH PRESSURE for 55 minutes.
- Once the cooking time ends, allow the pressure to naturally release for 15 minutes, then release the remaining pressure by turning the valve to "VENTING".
- Remove the pan from the pot and remove the foil. Allow bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes after that place it on a cooling rack.