Instant Pot French Onion Soup is a restaurant-quality soup, easily and comfortingly made at home. It is loaded with caramelized onions, beef broth, and topped with Gruyere cheese, for the perfect finish!
We love making Instant Pot recipes because it’s convenient and usually done at a fraction of time. Like the Taco Soup and Baked Potato Soup, this French Onion Soup will quickly become your go-to soup.
Easy Instant Pot French Onion Soup
This Instant Pot French Onion Soup recipe is absolutely delicious. Unlike many other soups done in the pressure cooker, this one requires some extra time and attention in caramelizing the onions. After making this soup multiple times, we have come to the conclusion that for a perfect version of it, you will basically need to follow two important steps.
Step 1: Caramelizing the onions
This step takes some additional time to do in the Instant Pot. On average, it takes about 15-20 minutes to fully caramelize the onions. Hence, make sure to set time aside for the caramelizing part. Caramelizing is a process that occurs when sugar is added to the onions, and when they become brownish in color.
Step 2: Using high-quality beef broth
Since broth is the main ingredient here, make sure to use organic and high-quality broth. Your soup will only be as good as the stock you are using. The traditional French Onion Soup is made with beef broth, and this is what we have used here. So if you use boxed beef broth, taste it first!
How to make the perfect Instant Pot French Onion Soup:
Watch the recipe video tutorial attached. But the general steps are as follows:
- Add butter, sliced onions, and brown sugar to the pressure cooker. Sauté for about 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown and caramelized.
- Next, add garlic, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, and the seasonings. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Then, add the beef broth. Seal pressure cooker and set to cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- After the time is done, release pressure naturally for 15 minutes, then release the remaining pressure by opening the vent.
- Before serving, top the serving bowl with a slice of baguette and plenty of Gruyère cheese. Place in the oven for a few minutes to broil. Broil until cheese is melted, and has a golden brown color.
Pressure Cooker French Onion Soup Recipe Tips:
- For deeper flavor, you can even use Bone Beef Broth. Alternatively, you can substitute the beef broth with chicken broth.
- For a vegetarian version, use vegetable stock.
- Top the soup with your favorite cheeses. We have used Gruyère cheese, but a combination of provolone, Swiss or Parmesan will work just as well.
How to best serve Instant Pot French Onion Soup?
This delicious homemade Instant Pot French Onion Soup is best to be served right away. Add some cheese on top, and use a fresh baguette for dipping. Also, it’s best to use cheeses that have some sharpness to them such as Gruyère or aged Beemster.
How to store Instant Pot French Onion Soup:
The soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. When ready to serve, heat the soup in a pot, and pour the soup into ceramic bowls. To create the cheesy bread topping, arrange baguette slices on top of each bowl, with some shredded or sliced cheese.
Then, put under the broiler for a few minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
Tools to Make Instant Pot French Onion Soup:
Ultimate Instant Pot French Onion Soup
Instant Pot French Onion Soup is a restaurant quality soup, easily and comfortingly made at home. It is loaded with caramelized onions, beef broth, and topped with Gruyere cheese, for the perfect finish!
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 35 minutes Total time: 1 hr 5 mins