Instant Pot French Onion Soup is a restaurant quality soup, easily and comfortingly made at home. It is loaded with caramelized onions, beef broth, and topped with Gruyere cheese, for the perfect finish!
We love making dishes in the Instant Pot because it’s convenient and usually done at a fraction of time. Like the Taco Soup and Baked Potato Soup, this French Onion Soup will quickly become your go-to soup.
Easy Instant Pot French Onion Soup
This Instant Pot French Onion Soup recipe is absolutely delicious. Unlike many other soups done in the pressure cooker, this one requires some extra time and attention in caramelizing the onions. After making this soup multiple times, we have come to the conclusion that for a perfect version of it, you will basically need to follow two important steps.
Step 1: Caramelizing the onions
This step takes some additional time to do in the Instant Pot. On average, it takes about 15-20 minutes to fully caramelize the onions. Hence, make sure to set time aside for the caramelizing part. Caramelizing is a process that occurs when sugar is added to the onions, and when they become brownish in color.
Step 2: Using high-quality beef broth
Since broth is the main ingredient here, make sure to use organic and high-quality broth. Your soup will only be as good as the stock you are using. The traditional French Onion Soup is made with beef broth, and this is what we have used here. So if you use boxed beef broth, taste it first!
How to make the perfect Instant Pot French Onion Soup:
- Add butter, sliced onions, and brown sugar to the pressure cooker. Saute for about 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown and caramelized.
- Next, add garlic, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, and the seasonings. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Then, add the beef broth. Seal pressure cooker and set to cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- After the time is done, release pressure naturally for 15 minutes, then release the remaining pressure by opening the vent.
- Before serving, top the serving bowl with a slice of baguette and plenty of Gruyere cheese. Place in the oven for few minutes to broil. Broil until cheese is melted, and has a golden brown color.
Recipe Tips and Tricks:
- For deeper flavor, you can even use Bone Beef Broth. Alternatively, you can substitute the beef broth with chicken broth.
- For a vegetarian version, use vegetable stock.
- Top the soup with your favorite cheeses. We have used Gruyere cheese, but a combination of provolone, Swiss or Parmesan will work just as well.
How to best serve Instant Pot French Onion Soup?
This delicious homemade soup is best to be served right away. Add some cheese on top, and use a fresh baguette for dipping. Also, it’s best to use cheeses which have some sharpness to them such as Gruyere or aged Beemster.
How to store Instant Pot French Onion Soup:
The soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. When ready to serve, heat the soup in a pot, and pour the soup into ceramic bowls. To create the cheesy bread topping, arrange baguette slices on top of each bowl, with some shredded or sliced cheese. Then, put under the broiler for a few minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
Tools to Make Instant Pot French Onion Soup:
Recipe Step-by-Step Video:
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 35 minutes Total time: 1 hr 5 mins
- 5 medium size onions (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup red wine (or beef broth)
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper (or to taste)
- 6 baguette slices
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese (grated )
Turn on the Instant Pot and Select Sauté mode on High. Once it reads HOT, add the butter, and stirring with a wooden spoon, melt it.
Add sliced onions and brown sugar to the Instant Pot. Sauté for about 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown and caramelized. Stir occasionally.
Next, add minced garlic, thyme, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
Then, add the beef broth. Make sure you do not go over the MAX line of the inner pot.
Seal pressure cooker lid and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Followed by a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release.
After the time is done, release remaining pressure by allowing steam to vent, then remove the lid. Stir the soup.
Turn on the oven broiler.
Before serving, top each serving bowl with a slice or two of French baguette and some sliced or shredded Gruyere cheese.
Place the bowl on a baking sheet and transfer into the oven for few minutes to broil. Broil until cheese is melted, bubbly and has a golden brown color.