Last updated on March 29th, 2023 at 06:50 amJump to Recipe
Instant Pot Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice [Video]
Instant Pot Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice is made with meat, veggies, and rice, lots of cheese and it is ready in minutes. The easy meal will work for lunch or game day too.
This is perfect for first-time instant pot users because it is so easy. Also, it is perfect if you are looking for an easy meal to make with one pound of lean ground beef.
For more instant pot ground beef recipes, try our instant pot taco pasta with shell pasta and beef broth!
These are the simple ingredients you need for this easy recipe. Scroll down to our printable recipe card at the bottom of the page for the full list of ingredients and measurements.
- Oil or butter: We used olive oil.
- Lean ground beef: Use 75/25 for best results.
- Chicken broth: Beef broth is good too.
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Milk: You can use whole or skim milk.
- Heavy cream: Or sour cream.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Smoked paprika
- Corn: You can use frozen or canned.
- Frozen peas: Thawed.
- Red bell pepper: Cut into cubes.
- White rice: Uncooked long-grain rice.
- Shredded cheese: Cheddar cheese or cheddar jack mixture.
How to make instant pot cheesy ground beef and rice recipe?
- Saute: First, use saute mode to cook the oil and beef until it is brown. Then, turn the pot off.
- Mix: Meanwhile, mix the tomato sauce and paste, broth, milk, cream, and seasonings in a medium bowl.
- Add veggies: After, pour the broth mixture into the pot with the veggies and stir.
- Add rice: Next, add rice and don’t stir.
- Cook: Then, close and set at high pressure or pressure cook for eight minutes. Make sure the valve is in a sealed position.
- Quick release: Last, do a quick release and remove the lid. Add the cheese, close the lid for a few minutes to let it melt.
- Serve: Finally, salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Turkey: Feel free to substitute the beef for ground turkey.
- Beans: Add black beans for a heartier dish.
- Rice: You can also switch out the white rice for brown rice. Or try jasmine rice.
- Cheese: You can try other cheeses like Colby, mozzarella, or swiss.
- Peppers: Instead of red peppers, you can use green, orange, or yellow.
- Hot: Spice it up with some red pepper flakes.
- Taco night: Add a packet of taco seasoning for instant pot cheesy taco ground beef.
How to serve:
Perfect for busy weeknights, the whole family will love this rice recipe on its own or with a bowl of tortilla chips for dipping. Or try one of these ideas:
- This comfort food goes great with our Irish soda bread or Italian bread with a dab of butter.
- Mix in a can of cream of mushroom sauce before serving for a creamy meal.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning for a unique taste.
- Similarly, you could add chili powder for a robust flavor.
- Pour a little soy sauce on top for an oriental flavor.
- This rice dish goes great with a salad like this easy BLT salad.
- Feel free to top this with romano or parmesan cheese.
Frequently asked questions
Why does my pot say burn?
If you see the burn notice on your pot, it means that the inner pot is overheating.
This may be due to something burning on the bottom of the pot or it may be that you did not add enough liquid.
You have to add at least one cup of liquid to the bottom of the pot.
It could also be that you did not turn the valve to the sealing position before cooking.
If you leave the steam release handle in the venting position when you cook, it lets too much liquid evaporate and the pot gets too hot.
Next time, make sure you shut the vent.
Can I put ground beef in a rice cooker?
Yes, beef will cook in a rice cooker, but you have to experiment with the size of the meat chunks to see how long to cook it.
Just add the meat with a bit of olive oil and close the lid, set it to cook high, and let it cook for five minutes.
Why add baking soda to ground beef?
When using ground beef for recipes like this instant pot cheesy ground beef, you can add baking soda to keep the moisture inside the beef to brown and caramelize the meat better.
For every pound of beef, add ¼ teaspoon of baking soda and let it sit for 15 minutes before cooking.
The baking soda gives it a high pH to prevent the proteins in the meat from bonding.
It is the bonding that releases the moisture from the meat, which is why you get such a large amount of liquid when browning. The baking soda prevents that from happening.
How to store leftovers:
- Store: Put leftovers in an airtight container in your fridge for up to five days.
- Freeze: For longer storage, put in the freezer for up to three months.
- Thaw: Be sure to remove from the freezer the night before serving to thaw in the fridge.
- Reheat: Reheat in a pot on the stove or in the microwave.
More pressure cooker recipes:
- Cooking time may vary depending on the size of your pot.
- Always be sure to add a cup of water or other liquid to your pot when cooking.
- You can use other veggies if you do not have corn and peas.
- Cook ahead and store in the freezer in serving size containers for fast weeknight meals.
Instant Pot Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth low-sodium
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 3/4 cups milk skim milk or regular
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup corn canned or frozen and defrosted - drained of extra liquid
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed and cubed
- 2 cups long grain rice uncooked
- 2 cups cheddar cheese Colby cheesy or Pepper Jack cheese
Follow me on InstagramFollow
- Turn Instant Pot to "Saute" on High and when hot, add the oil. Add the ground beef and cook it until no longer pink, breaking it into crumbs with a wooden spoon. Turn Instant Pot off.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, milk, heavy cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and onion powder.
- Pour the mixture into the Instant Pot over the beef and add the corn, peas, and bell pepper. Stir very well to mix, scraping any bits of meat that stuck to the bottom.
- Add. the rice. and DO NOT stir. Use a spoon to lightly press it until submerged in the liquid.
- Place the lid and lock it, and set to "Pressure Cook" for 8 minutes on High Pressure. The valve should be in a sealing position.
- Once done pressure cooking, do a quick pressure release and then remove the lid.
- Add the shredded cheese, and gently stir it in. Cover with the lid for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Taste for salt and pepper and serve.
Enjoy weekly hand picked recipes and recommendations