Instant Pot Rice and Beans is made with rice, beans, and spices on a tomato, a hearty and healthy main dish or side dish. With this recipe, you just add all the ingredients, shut the lid, and let it cook. You will have lunch, dinner, or a hearty snack in less than 30 minutes.
If you are not in a hurry, this Slow Cooker Rice and Beans recipe is awesome with taco seasoning and arborio rice. Another fantastic way to use your pot is to make our IP Orange Chicken flavored with white wine and orange juice.
Using your pot makes this one of those easy recipes you can just set and forget. It is an easy meal you can make in minutes with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
This is one of those healthy instant pot recipes you can feel good about feeding your family. The perfect recipe for the next time you do not feel like having to do a lot of prep work.
This IP Cream Cheese Chicken Soup is the perfect comfort food with rich cream cheese and ranch seasoning.
You can make this great recipe with these simple ingredients. Scroll down to see the exact measurements on our recipe card.
- Large red onion: Chopped.
- White or brown rice: Rinsed.
- Black beans: Or your favorite.
- Cold water or chicken broth
- Diced tomatoes: We used low sodium.
- Jalapeno: Chopped.
- Spices: Cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, salt, and cilantro.
- Hot sauce: Optional.
How to make instant pot rice and beans recipe?
- Mix: First, add all the ingredients to the pot in the following order. Onion, rice, beans, water or broth, cumin, garlic, chili powder, paprika, salt, jalapeno, diced tomatoes. onion,
- Cook: Then, shut the lid and turn the vent to sealing. Cook on high pressure or manual for 22 minutes.
- Release: After, use the quick release by turning the valve to vent and open the lid.
- Add: Last, add the cilantro and stir gently. If it is too thin or crunchy, close the lid and wait another 10 minutes.
- Serve: Finally, serve right away with hot sauce.
How to serve:
This rice recipe is perfect for a side dish or snack any time of day. Or try one of these ideas:
- Sprinkle some chopped green onions or bell pepper on top for more flavor.
- Add some chicken to make instant pot chicken, rice, and beans recipe.
- Also, sour cream goes well with this dish, whether you add it to the mix or use it on the side.
- Guacamole also goes great with this great recipe.
- Don’t forget the tortilla chips for those who like to dip.
Frequently asked questions
How much water do I need in my pot to cook one cup of dried beans?
Although it can depend on what kind of beans you are using, you will typically need about two or three cups of water.
For each cup, use two or three times the amount of beans for best results. Also, it has to be covered completely by water.
How long does it take to cook dried beans in a pressure cooker?
Instead of having to soak overnight, you can speed that up to just minutes with your instant pot pressure cooker. F
or example, black beans or blackeyed peas take about five minutes, kidney, cannellini, and pinto beans take approximately eight minutes, and chickpeas can take up to 15 minutes.
Is rice better in the instant pot?
Pressure cooker rice is much easier in a pressure cooker than boiling on the stovetop.
However, the amount of water and cooking time depends on what type of rice you are using. Most recipes for rice call for a one-to-one ratio.
How to store leftovers:
- Store: Put any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
- Freeze: You could also put your leftovers in a freezer bag and keep them in the freezer for up to six months.
- Thaw: Remember to thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
- Reheat: You can reheat your leftovers in the microwave or in a pot on the stove.
More Mexican recipes:
Instant Pot Rice and Beans
- 1 large red onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cups white rice (or brown rice - rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup dried black beans (rinsed)
- 4 cups water (or low sodium chicken broth)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes (optionally with gree peppers)
- 1 bunch cilantro (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno deseeded and diced
- Follow the exact order to add/layer the ingredients in the Instant Pot: onion, brown rice, black beans, water, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, salt and jalapeno, diced tomatoes. Do not stir, just use a spoon to lightly press and distribute the mixture evenly.
- Close the lid, turn the pressure vent to Sealing on older models, and press Pressure Cook on High or Manual for 22 minutes.
- After Instant Pot has finished cooking, release pressure using the Quick Release method.
- Add chopped cilantro and gently stir.
- If the rice and beans are a bit liquidy or a bit crunchy, close the lid and let them sit for 10 more minutes.
- Serve warm with sour cream and guacamole.