Instant Pot Bread Pudding [Video]
Last updated on December 9th, 2021 at 05:49 pm
Instant Pot Bread Pudding is rich and creamy, soaked in a delicious custard, crusty on the outside, and soft inside. Quickly made in the pressure cooker, this is the ultima dessert!
I like making moist and creamy treats in the IP. Some of my favorite ones are Brownie Bites, Blueberry Banana Bread, and this Berry Cobler.
Instant Pot Bread Pudding Recipe
This Instant Pot Bread Pudding is a classic holiday dessert very similar to our French Toast, only more delicate and easier to make. For once, it is made in the pressure cooker, which automatically saves you time.
You simply, dump the ingredients in the pot, cook under high pressure, and you end up with an amazingly festive and delicious dessert. It is ideal for holidays and events, and will quickly become your family favorite dish!
I like using leftover Challah or brioche bread. Both work amazingly well due to their texture and flavor. You can also learn how to make your own Brioche bread at home. As for spices, feel free to add more or less based on your taste. This recipe is easily adaptable, so you can play and experiment with flavors.
You will need the following:
- Bread: I love using leftover HomemadeBrioche bread, and cut or torn into cubes. It is flavorful and works great here. If you don’t feel like making it at home, it should be easily found in the local grocery store. Alternatively, you can use challah or any other type you have on hand. Even hamburger buns will work.
- Egg and butter
- Dried fruits: Such as pecans, and raisin.
- Seasonings: Sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Also, some rum is used for flavoring.
- Heavy cream and milk.
How to make Instant Pot Bread Pudding?
For exact steps, follow the recipe card below.
- Soak the raisins: First, in a large bowl, cut the bread in chunks, mix with the nuts. In another bowl soak the raisins in the rum.
- Make the Custard: Next, prepare the custard and then, soak the bread in the milk mixture, sugar, eggs, and spices for one hour. After that, add in the rum-infused raisins.
- Cook: Next, spray your Instant Pot with cooking spray and pour in the mixture. Place the soaked bread inside. Then, close the lid and cook under high pressure.
- Serve: Once the pudding is fully cooked, release it from the pot, garnish and serve!
Recipe variation and adaptation:
- Oven-Baked Bread Pudding: If you want to go the classical way, then try our baked version of it. It is equally delicious and perfect to serve a larger crowd!
- Swap the bread: Feel free to use a rustic French or Italian loaf if Brioche is not available. Just cut into uniform cubes.
- Other dried fruits: Instead of raisins, you can use any dried fruits you like. Also, some great alternatives would be dried cranberries, cherries, walnuts, or even chocolate chips, or mint chips. Anything will work.
- Alcohol-free: To omit the alcohol, just replace the rum with water.
How to make Bread Pudding in the Slow Cooker?
The crockpot is another alternative and a great way to enjoy this dish. To make it in the slow cooker, follow the steps below:
- Spray the pot with a cooking spray.
- Next, place the cubed bread and dried fruits in the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, prepare the milk mixture by beating the milk, eggs, sugar, butter, and spices. Then, pour the mixture over the cubes and let it soak for about 15 minutes.
- Lastly, cover and cook on LOW HEAT for about 3 hours.
How do you eat bread pudding?
It can be served warm or room temperature for breakfast with a cup of tea, coffee, a healthy smoothie, or an iced latte.
Also, enjoy it as a dessert after lunch or dinner. During the holiday such as Thanksgiving and Christmas, this is a must-try dish, as everyone will love it!
How do you moisten dry bread pudding?
More Instant Pot desserts to try:
How to store and make ahead?
To store leftovers: First, cover the dish with foil, or transfer it to an airtight container. Properly sealed, it can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Make ahead: The pudding can be assembled and then refrigerated one day prior to serving.
To reheat: Use a baking dish, and pop it in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Use your favorite dried fruits to make this dish. Dried cranberries, walnuts, seeds, mango, are a great addition.
- It is important to remember to refrigerate it within 2 hours of sitting at room temperature. DO NOT LEAVE the bread pudding to sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours after it has been baked.
- Also, if you do not have brioche bread, use whatever is available. Baguette, white, hamburger buns, can be used as an alternative.
Instant Pot Bread Pudding
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 8 cups Brioche or Challah Bread (that is at least one day old)
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Half and Half
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the raisins and rum to a small bowl and soak for 15 minutes. Set aside. If you are making an alcohol free version use warm water.
- Butter 7"x3" push pan and set aside.
- Cut the bread into 1-2 inches cubes and place in a large bowl. Add the pecans and toss.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until well combined.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest (in using), salt, and milk. Whisk well until combined.
- Whisk in the melted butter.
- Add the custard mixture to the bread cubes and mix until the bread is evenly coated. Soak for one hour, and after that stir in the rum soaked raisins.
- Transfer to the prepared pan and gently press down the bread to absorb the custard.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water into the inner liner of the Instant Pot.
- Using a foil sling, or the handles of a trivet/rack, carefully lower the pan into the pot. Make sure it is placed on a RACK/TRIVET, not directly into the water
- Close and lock the lid, point the Knob to Sealing (exception on Ultra).
- Pressure cook on high pressure for 30 minutes, followed by a 15 minute natural release pressure. Then manually release the remaining pressure by turning the knob to Venting position (or push the button on the Ultra model).
- Open the lid and carefully remove the pan.
Bread Pudding Sauce:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and brown sugar and stir until melted and combined.
- Whisk in the Half and Half, rum, and vanilla extract. Bring the mixture to a low boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Slice the Bread Pudding and serve with the sauce.
CommentsLeave a reply