Air Fryer Salmon Cakes are mixed with green onions, garlic, sour cream, plus herbs and spices then air-fried until crispy perfection. These savory, healthy patties are perfect as appetizers or a light meal!
Air Fryer Salmon Cakes
Air Fryer Salmon Cakes are easy, savory, and packed spices, herbs, plus lemon and sour cream to keep it fresh and light. Our family and guests request this often, and we’re always happy to oblige because this recipe takes less than 30 mins!
Furthermore, this is a very customizable recipe. For instance, you can chop cooked shrimp and crab for extra-special seafood patties. We also love adding cheese, different herbs, jalapeno and peppers for heat, and even veggies! For example, try grating carrots, broccoli, or cabbage and mix them in.
Finally, they’re very delicious, especially with homemade dips (we list some of our favorites below)! Eat them as an appetizer, as a main dish, or as a side dish to your entrees. We’re sure you’ll love them as much as we do!
What goes into salmon cakes
- Salmon: Fresh is our first choice, but canned will work in a pinch.
- Aromatics: To build flavor, we’re adding grated ginger, fresh garlic, and green onions.
- Bread crumbs: Plain panko encourages our patties to crisp up and prevents them from falling apart.
- Egg: This binds our mixture and like the panko, helps them keep their patty shape.
- Seasonings: In addition to the aromatics, we’re also flavoring our patties with paprika, parsley, and Italian herbs. Since salmon is very rich and fatty, we’re also adding lemon juice and zest, hot sauce, and sour cream to cut through that richness.
How to make homemade Air Fryer Salmon Cakes
- Bake. Brush the fish with oil, then lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a 425F oven, bake it (skin-side down) for 10mins.
- Flake. After baking, peel off the skin. Then, flake it and remove any remaining bones.
- Mix. To the flaked fish, add all of the seasonings, aromatics, eggs, and panko. Use your hands to mix all of these thoroughly.
- Scoop. Portion the mixture with an ice cream scoop and flatten it into patties.
- Cook. Arrange the patties on a parchment round placed inside the basket. Spray each piece lightly with oil. Finally, air-fry at 370F for about 8-10 mins. until golden.
- Serve. Enjoy hot with more lemon and your favorite creamy dips!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do you need to air-fry salmon patties?
Just 8-10 minutes! The salmon is already cooked, so it doesn’t take long at all. However, feel free to adjust the cooking time if you want it crispier.
Can you make these in the oven?
Yes. Bake the fish first, then make the patties. After that, arrange on your baking sheet, spritz with oil, then bake at 350F for about 15 to 20 mins.
How to avoid salmon cakes that fall apart?
Two things: add an extender (such as bread crumbs) and a binder (such as eggs). These form the structure of the salmon cakes.
Also, mix the patty mixture very well, otherwise, some of the flakes can fall off while cooking.
What goes well with salmon patties?
Tangy, creamy dips are perfect with salmon patties. Our favorites are:
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Big Mac Sauce Copycat
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Horseradish Sauce
- Sauce For Salmon (A must-try!)
After they’ve cooled down, transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate for up 3 days. Reheat by air-frying at 400F for a few mins.
More air fryer recipes to try:
Air Fryer Salmon Cakes
- 1 lb salmon (cooked and flaked)
- 1/2 cup green onions (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herbs seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper (or to taste)
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Oil spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place salmon skin-side down on a lightly greased baking sheet, and season with some salt and pepper. Brush with olive oil, and bake it for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees F.
- Once baked, discard the skin, and flake the salmon with a fork and add it to a large bowl. If it has any bones, remove them and discard.
- Next, add to the salmon the rest of the ingredients, and mix them together using your hands, until well combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop for portioning so each salmon patty is about the same size, and make into patties.
- Place a piece of parchment round down inside the hot air fryer then carefully place each cake in the air fryer. Cook in batches if needed, don't overcrowd.
- Cook in the air fryer for 8-10 minutes until the crust turns golden brown. Do not flip while cooking.
- Remove from the air fryer and enjoy with your favorite sauce and extra lemon on top, if desired. Garnish with green onions.
- Aside from fresh, you can also use leftover or canned salmon. If using canned, drain very well first.
- An ice cream scoop will help ensure evenly shaped cakes.
- You can also use this recipe to make crab cakes. Simply replace the fish with flaked, cooked crab meat.
- Feel free to use different seasonings and herbs! The final flavor is up to you – try adding chives, taking out the ginger if you wish, mixing in chopped cilantro or red onions, and adding cayenne or chili flakes if you want it spicy.
- For lighter cakes, sub the sour cream with plain yogurt.