2 Ingredient Chocolate Truffles
2 Ingredient Chocolate Truffles are so rich and creamy, and super easy to make with just cocoa powder and sweetened condensed milk. This is the kind of kid-friendly recipe you can teach the grandkids to make themselves. You can change the ingredients to make these however you want if you want to try making dark chocolate truffles, vegan truffles, or white chocolate truffles. Or just add more chocolate to curb those chocolate cravings as well as your sweet tooth.
Chocolate fans will also love this delicious Chocolate Fudge recipe. All you need is sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, milk chocolate chips, and unsalted butter. Then it is topped with dark chocolate chips and chocolate sprinkles. For a different kind of chocolate dessert, try our Pink White Chocolate Fudge with just three ingredients. Just white chocolate wafers, sweetened condensed milk, and pink gel food coloring.
It was Auguste Escoffier who invented the first truffle recipe. He was a famous French chef who made it by accident in 1920 when a student spilled hot cream into a bowl of chocolate bits. Others say it was Louis Dufour who made them first in 1895 when trying to make new Christmas treats to sell. It was a ball of chocolate ganache rolled in cocoa powder.
For this 2 ingredient chocolate truffle recipe, all you need are sweetened condensed milk and cocoa powder. That’s it! Nothing else unless you want to add something on your own. This is a great recipe to add to because anything goes with chocolate. Check out some of our recipe notes for ideas to make with this delicious recipe.
Check out some of our other great truffle recipes. These unique watermelon truffles are not difficult to make with white cake mix, chocolate chips, watermelon extract, green candy melts, and pink gel food coloring. For a more holiday-themed truffle recipe, these sugar cookie truffles are amazing. You only need cake mix, sugar, vanilla, butter, and sprinkles.
Also known as the condensed milk truffle, these homemade chocolate truffles are perfect anytime you get a craving for chocolate. Just get these two ingredients and then scroll down to our recipe card at the bottom of the page to see how to make them step-by-step.
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Cocoa powder
How to make 2 ingredient chocolate truffles from scratch?
- Warm the milk: First, pour the sweetened condensed milk into a large bowl and microwave it for 30 seconds.
- Add the cocoa powder: Then, pour cocoa powder through a sieve into the bowl of warm sweetened condensed milk.
- Stir up chocolate truffle mixture: Now, mix chocolate and milk thoroughly until they are totally combined. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Chill for 30 minutes: After, make the chocolate mixture into a disc and put it in a piece of plastic wrap. Fold it up and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Unwrap and cut into chocolate squares: Next, unwrap the chocolate and place it on a cutting board. Cut it into one-inch squares. If it is too sticky, freeze it some more.
- Roll and coat finished truffles: Lastly, roll the squares into smooth balls and coat them in cocoa powder before serving.
- Vegan truffles: To make vegan and dairy-free truffles, use coconut cream instead of sweetened condensed milk. Or you can use the cream from the top of canned coconut milk.
- Vegan dark chocolate truffle: Although the cocoa powder is vegan, you can use vegan dark chocolate as a topping. Just shred it with a vegetable peeler or shredder.
- Melted chocolate: Drizzle melted chocolate over the truffles after rolling them in cocoa powder. You can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Chopped chocolate: Another way to add more flavor to these delicious chocolate truffles is to add some chopped chocolate candy bars to the recipe.
- Keto chocolate truffles: If you are on a keto diet, use sugar-free condensed milk instead of regular.
- Pure vanilla extract: Add pure vanilla extract to the mixture to enhance the milk flavor.
- Cacao nibs: For a richer flavor, add cacao nibs to your chocolate mixture before rolling.
- Peanut butter: Add a 1/2 cup of peanut butter to your chocolate mixture before chilling. They will taste like peanut butter cup truffles!
How to serve:
Serve homemade truffles for a quick snack or a decadent chocolate dessert with a glass of champagne. These easy chocolate truffles are so much fun to make, you can do it with the little ones. Try one of these fun serving ideas or share some of your own suggestions in the comments section at the bottom of the page.
- Sprinkle some additional cocoa powder or shredded coconut on top for extra flavor. You can use sweetened or unsweetened.
- You could also top these little chocolate balls with chopped nuts, crushed walnuts, or ground pecans.
- Drop one of these delicious chocolate truffles in a cup of this homemade hot chocolate for an even chocolatier drink.
- For a different kind of chocolate truffle with a bit of energy, add some espresso powder to your cocoa powder before rolling.
- Are you celebrating the holidays? Use crushed candy cane or some other holiday candy to roll truffles in.
- These are also delicious treats with a glass of mimosa. Try our apple cider mimosa recipe.
- These delicious treats would make a gorgeous gift for anyone who loves chocolate. Simply place them on wax paper in an airtight canister or wrap them in colorful plastic wrap and tie them with a ribbon.
- For more sweetness, add some powdered sugar to your cocoa powder.
- To make these more festive, add chocolate sprinkles or rainbow sprinkles on top instead of cocoa powder.
Frequently asked questions
Is cacao powder the same as cocoa powder?
They are both bitter-sweet and made from beans from a cacao plant. The beans are separated from the cocoa butter, which is the fatty part of the bean. Although they are very similar, cocoa powder is processed at a higher temperature. Cacao powder is processed at a low temperature and then milled into powder.
How is a regular truffle made?
The typical chocolate truffle is made with a creamy chocolate ganache inside a chocolate shell. The ganache is made from heavy cream and bittersweet chocolate. Some of them are rolled in chocolate powder or powdered sugar. These 2 ingredient chocolate truffles are just made from cocoa powder and sweetened condensed milk.
What is the difference between a truffle and a brigadeiro?
A chocolate truffle is made with cocoa powder and heavy cream but a traditional brigadeiro is made from cocoa powder, butter, and sweetened condensed milk. It is also known as a Brazilian truffle. Common chocolate truffles have a creamy chocolate center with a hard chocolate shell but the brigadeiro is soft all the way through.
What are the nutrition facts in this recipe?
If you are worried about nutrition, calories, or fat, you can always use low-fat and sugar-free condensed milk. Each serving of these chocolate truffles includes 124 calories, 23 carbs, 5 grams fat, and 3 grams saturated fat. It also has 15 grams sugar, 25 mg sodium, and 8 mg cholesterol. You also get 3 grams protein, 150 mg potassium, 3 grams fiber, 18 mg calcium, and 2 mg iron.
How to store leftovers:
- Store: To store leftover chocolate truffles, place them in an airtight container separated with parchment paper to keep them from sticking. They will stay fresh in the fridge for up to five days.
- Freeze: You can also freeze your leftover truffles. Simply place them in a freezer bag and you can leave them in the freezer for up to three months.
- Thaw: For best results, thaw chocolate truffles in the fridge overnight before serving.
More homemade truffles to try:
- Make sure you use cocoa powder instead of hot chocolate mix or it will be too sweet.
- If your chocolate paste is still too sticky, add a little more cocoa powder.
- Place finished truffles on a sheet pan covered in parchment paper as you go.
- You could also use almond or cashew milk instead of condensed milk, but you may have to add more sugar if it is not sweet enough.
- If you want to use milk chocolate to make milk truffles, you will need to use a little less cream as the chocolate is already creamy.
- Add cocoa butter, coconut oil, or melted butter to your hands to keep the chocolate from sticking.
- Instead of a microwave, you can put the sweetened condensed milk into a heat-proof mixing bowl and put it on top of a pot of boiling water until it is hot.
2 Ingredient Chocolate Truffles
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (for the truffles)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (for rolling the truffles)
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- Add the sweetened condensed milk into a large bowl and microwave it for 30 seconds.
- Then, sift the 1/2 cup of cocoa powder into the bowl of warm sweetened condensed milk. Next, using a rubber spatula, stir well until fully combined, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- After that, use your hands to press the chocolate mixture into a disc and put it on a piece of plastic wrap. Cover well the chocolate mixture and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Next, unwrap the chocolate disk and place it on a cutting board. Using a pastry cutter or shape knife, cut it into equal one-inch squares. If it is too sticky, freeze it some more time.
- Roll each piece onto a truffle and place it on a plate.
- After that, roll the balls in cocoa powder and serve. Store in the fridge.
CommentsLeave a reply