Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup is insanely creamy and delicious. Made in one pot in just under one hour with tender chicken, veggies and cheesy tortellini.
We love making easy soups on our blog, and this creamy tortellini soup, with its all delicious Italian flavors, is food for the soul. We are always excited about soup season and comfort foods. To stay warm and satisfied, you should try our other soup recipes, like this Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup and the Panera Bread Soups Copycat Recipes.
Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup
You can tell that I am into soups lately, they just seem the perfect option now. I love making a big pot of soup and not having to worry about dinner for a few days. This creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup is my latest concoction and it exceeded my expectations.
I am a huge fan of Tuscan Chicken, we enjoy a lot this Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Pasta and also this Slow Cooker version. Also, I wanted to incorporate the flavors of Tuscan chicken into a soup, that is quick and easy to make. It’s safe to say that I have succeeded and this One Pot Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup is not only easy to make, but also very flavorful and tasty.
The soup is creamy, with a light sweetness from the cream, that balances the tanginess of the tomatoes. In addition, the chicken is tender, browned to perfection and flavored with Italian herbs. This makes all the difference and enhances the broth. Veggies and cheese tortellini are added to the soup, finished with some fresh spinach.
How do you make One Pot Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup?
Please see the recipe video attached. But the general steps are as follows:
- First, brown the chicken, add the herbs to the chicken and cook, stirring for a few minutes. This step is very important, as cooking the veggies with the chicken will add extra flavor to the meat and to the broth.
- Next, add the veggies, cream, and broth to the saucepan, cover and simmer for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Then, add the tortellini and simmer for about 10 more minutes until the tortellini are cooked through.
- At this point, if you would prefer a thicker soup, add the cornstarch and water mixture and stir to combine. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Fold in spinach, stir until wilted.
- Serve soup garnished with chopped fresh parsley and warm bread.
How to make Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup in the Slow Cooker?
- First, brown the chicken or use rotisserie chicken.
- Then, add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, with the exception of cream, tortellini, and spinach.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Uncover and add the cream and tortellini, stir well to combine. Cover and cook on high 45 minutes until the tortellini are soft and cooked through.
- Uncover and fold in the spinach, completely submerge the leaves. Cover again and cook on high for 10 minutes, until spinach leaves have wilted.
How to make Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup in the Instant Pot?
- Select Saute and brown the chicken in the pot.
- Then, add the rest of the ingredients with the exception of cream and spinach. Stir well to combine.
- Select High Pressure -> adjust timing to 5 mins -> followed by 10 mins NPR. Release manually any remaining pressure.
- Open the Instant Pot, select Sauté and stir in cream. At this point add the cornstarch mixture if you would prefer a thicker soup. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Turn off Instant Pot and fold in fresh spinach.
Can I substitute the meat in the soup?
Absolutely. You can use chicken thighs meat or Italian sausage. Ground chicken, turkey or beef can also be used, the soup will be thicker in that case.
What type of tortellini is best to use?
Actually, any tortellini will work, I prefer to choose a cheese or three cheese tortellini. Also, keep in mind, if you decide to use mini tortellini, those will cook quicker, so keep an eye to not overcook them.
Frozen tortellini can be used as well, make sure they don’t have any ice on them. Stir well and cook for a few more minutes, until done.
How to make vegetarian Tuscan Tortellini Soup?
Just skip the chicken and keep the rest of the ingredients. Replace the chicken with canned (drained and rinsed) white beans. You can use about 2 15oz cans. Cooked lentils and canned (drained and rinsed) chickpeas also work great in this recipe.
How to freeze Tortellini Soup?
- Cool the soup completely.
- Use a cup to transfer the soup from the pot into freezer-safe quart bags.
- Then, squeeze out excess air and seal the bags.
- Lay the bags flat in the freezer.
- The bags can nicely be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
How to reheat it?
- Thaw the soup overnight in the fridge or add the frozen bag to a large casserole dish and place it under running warm water.
- Next, transfer the soup to a dutch oven or saucepan over low-medium heat.
- When reheating, you may need to add a bit of milk or cream, add ¼ cup at a time.
- Stir to combine and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
One Pot Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 45 mins
Cornstarch Slurry Optional: