Keto Brussels Sprouts are super easy to make, low in carbs, and guaranteed to win you over. Mixing them with bacon and parmesan is the ultimate side dish!
Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
Keto Brussel Sprouts with Bacon is a very flavorful dish that is ready in about 30 minutes. We are a big fan of sprouts, and mixing them with bacon, always results in one of the best side dishes!
The fact that you can enjoy this on the keto diet and is low in carbs is surely a plus. It is the perfect side dish that pairs nicely with fish, pork, chicken, or beef. Also, with summer around the corner, it is our top side dish for barbecues.
If you are not a brussels sprouts fan, this recipe has the addition of bacon in it, which makes it so much better. You can also add some parmesan or mozzarella cheese to the mix, for an additional boost of flavors. Apart from being delicious and keto-friendly, the sprouts have plenty of nutrients and vitamins, making this recipe one of our top favorites.
how to make Keto Brussels sprouts with bacon?
Cooking anything with bacon is probably guaranteed to result in a superb and delicious dish. And this one is no exception.
Prior to cooking, wash and then chop the sprouts in half. Then, fry the bacon in a skillet and saute the sprout in the grease. The leftover bacon fat with some added seasonings or olive oil will give them a nice and rich flavor. Then add some garlic and garnish with parmesan and you are ready to go.
What else can I add to Keto Brussels Sprouts?
You can also try throwing some of the below ingredients into the skillet. If you are a cheese fan, then you will end up with a creamy and rich sauce on top of added flavor. Some suggested add-ins:
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Lemon juice
- Hot pepper flakes
how many carbs in Keto Brussels sprouts?
They are great for a keto diet due to their low carb content. Depending on what you are mixing them with, they have about 7-8 grams of carbs per 1 cup of sprouts.
What to pair with Brussels sprouts with Bacon?
You can enjoy it as a main dish or side dish depending on your preference. It is our primary side dish when it comes to holiday dinners, such as Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas. It pairs really well with fish or meats, and some of our favorite ways to pair them are with:
- Instant Pot Ham
- Corned Beef
- Slow Cooker Ribs
- Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken
- Easter Lamb
- Asian Short Ribs
how many Brussels sprouts can I eat on keto?
In order to stay on ketosis, you should not have more than 2 cups of sprouts on a daily basis.
- Whenever possible, try to use organic sprouts.
- Also, always wash them prior to cooking.
- Sometimes the exterior layer of skin might be bad looking. In that case, peel the first layer off.
- We usually cut them in half this way they combine the bacon flavor better. However, you can also cook them whole, if you like.
- Similarly, they can be roasted in the oven. For the oven-roasted recipe click here.
- Use fresh garlic vs the canned one. It tastes so much better.
- In addition to bacon, add some butter to the skillet. This will make them creamier, juicier, and more flavorful.
Keto Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- 8 slices bacon (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts (washed, bottoms trimmed and cut in half)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once add the bacon pieces and cook until crispy. Once crispy, transfer to a paper-lined dish.
- Drain most of the bacon grease, leaving only about half in the pan. Then add the Brussels sprouts and cook stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, paprika, dried parsley, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper, stir, cover the pan, reduce heat to low and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add back the bacon and stir and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Top with shredded parmesan cheese and serve.