Last updated on October 21st, 2022 at 01:22 pm
Jalapeno Popper Dip is cheesy, creamy, and spicy, made with three kinds of cheese, crunchy chopped bacon, and diced jalapenos. This is the perfect dip for your next backyard barbecue or game day. It goes great with anything like chips, veggie sticks, and breadsticks. Adding bacon to this dip makes it even better than your typical jalapeno popper dip.
To get your party started, you can have these Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers on the table in under 30 minutes, and can even be used as a meal with chicken breast. Why not serve these with Cheesy Jalapeno Ham Sliders made from Hawaiian sweet rolls, swiss cheese, and deli-style ham?
You probably thought that jalapeno poppers came from Mexico or a Tex-Mex restaurant. However, the first one to create these spicy appetizers was The Anchor Food Products Company in Wisconsin in 1992. In fact, to prove it, they applied for and got a trademark on the name jalapeño poppers used in breaded vegetables. Another company, Leon’s Texas Cuisine made fried jalapenos stuffed with cheese called Jalitos in 1985.
You can serve this as a cold dip too. It does not have to be served warm. The cream cheese and fresh jalapeños meld well together after being chilled so cover it with plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Are you looking for more dip recipes? Try our buffalo shrimp dip made with buffalo sauce and fresh shrimp. This queso dip made with pork sausage, Rotel tomatoes, and sweet corn is another tasty dip to try. Mexican street corn dip is so scrumptious with three kinds of melty cheese, onion, and sweet corn, you can even serve it for lunch.
For this delicious jalapeño popper dip recipe, you will need to gather the ingredients below. When you are ready to begin preparing the dip, find our recipe card at the bottom of the page. It has all of the detailed measurements and step-by-step directions.
- Crumbled bacon: Crisply cooked and diced.
- Green onion: Diced.
- Cheddar cheese: Shredded.
- Pepper jack cheese: Shredded.
- Diced canned jalapenos: Or four fresh jalapenos chopped and deseeded.
- Cream cheese: Softened to room temperature.
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Ritz crackers: Crushed.
- Parmesan cheese
- Sharp cheddar cheese: Shredded.
- Melted butter
- Chopped bacon
How to make jalapeno popper dip from scratch?
- Preheat: First, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray nonstick cooking spray in the bottom of a 1 ½-quart baking dish.
- Mix the creamy dip: Then, combine green onion, all three kinds of cheese, jalapenos, sour cream, mayo, and bacon in a large mixing bowl before spreading it in the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake your jalapeno poppers dip: Finally, bake the dip for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven or until the topping is golden brown.
- Make the crumb topping: In the meantime, mix the melted butter, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, and crushed crackers. Spread evenly on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Serve: Last, sprinkle some green onions on top and serve with veggies, chips, or bread.
How to make crock pot jalapeno popper dip from scratch?
- Make the dip: To begin, in a large bowl, mix cheddar cheese, green onion, pepper jack cheese, jalapenos, sour cream, cream cheese, mayonnaise, and bacon until it is thoroughly mixed and creamy.
- Cook the dip: After, transfer mixture into your crock pot and place the lid on top. Cook dip for one hour on high or two hours on low.
- Make the crunchy topping: While it cooks, mix the sharp cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, crushed ritz crackers, and melted butter.
- Add the crunchy topping: After it is done, spread the topping on top of the dip and put the lid back on. Cook for another 30 minutes or until the crumbs are golden brown.
- Serve: Finally, sprinkle with green onions and serve warm with chips or vegetables.
How to serve:
If you love jalapeño poppers, you will love this irresistible dip. You can serve it on game day with chips and beer or spread it evenly on top of toasted bread. It is an easy appetizer cuisine but be warned, it is totally addictive. Try one of our serving ideas or one of your own.
- This makes a fabulous dip for toasted baguette slices, pita chips, or tortilla chips.
- Cook up some of this crunchy Irish soda bread and spread it with this spicy dip.
- Another way to serve this delicious fresh jalapeños popper dip is with wheat thins. The saltiness blends well with the creamy and spicy flavor.
- Use leftovers to add in this buffalo crack chicken dip for double bacon yumminess.
- Add more jalapeños on top of your dip when serving so dinner guests can add more as needed.
- Pretzels would also be great for dipping. Try our easy recipe for baked soft pretzels.
- You will find that this is the surprise hit to any gathering so make extra ahead of time.
- Be creative with your dipping cuisine. Try our bacon cabbage dippers with brown sugar and parmesan. They will taste delicious dipped in creamy jalapeno popper dip.
- There is nothing wrong with dipping french fries or tater tots either. Just about anything is a great dipper for this dish.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best way to make crispy bacon?
First, make sure you use a cast iron skillet over medium heat and wait until the pan is hot before placing the bacon. Cook for seven to nine minutes depending on how thick your bacon cuts are. Then, transfer to a paper towel to soak up the grease. When you make the next batch, remove all but two tablespoons of the bacon grease.
What is the fastest way to soften cream cheese?
If you forgot to take your cream cheese out to soften, you can do it a different way. The fastest way is to remove it from the packaging and foil and heat it in the microwave for about a minute, checking every 10 seconds. Or you can leave it in the foil wrapper and place it in a bowl of warm water for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping it every five minutes.
Should I soak my jalapenos in water first?
If you like your dip milder than most, it is a good idea to soak them in water for 45 to 60 minutes. This will remove some of the oil, so they are not as hot. First, slice in half lengthwise, remove the membrane and seeds and rinse before soaking.
What are the nutrition facts in this recipe?
The nutritional info will vary depending on what you are serving with your dip. Just the dip alone has 400 calories, 50 grams of fat with 20 grams of saturated fat, 100 milligrams of cholesterol, and 1,020 milligrams of sodium. But you also get 310 milligrams of calcium, 14 grams of protein, 1 milligram of iron, 1 milligram of fiber, and 1,400 units of vitamin A.
How to store leftovers:
- Store: To store, cover with plastic wrap or foil and without the topping. The topping will get soggy if you store them together. Be sure to eat this in the next few days or you will need to freeze it.
- Freeze: You can store your leftover dip in an airtight container for up to 90 days.
- Thaw: Thaw your frozen dip in the fridge overnight before serving.
- Reheat: You can reheat or serve chilled. To serve warm, heat it in the microwave for 30 to 90 seconds. Stir, and then heat for another 30 to 60 seconds.
More dips to try:
Jalapeno Popper Dip
- 12 slices bacon (diced and crispy cooked)
- 2 8- ounce packages cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 fresh jalapenos (chopped and deseeded - or use a 4oz can of jalapenoes)
- 1 cup Pepper Jack cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup green onions (diced)
- 1 cup Ritz Crackers (crushed)
- 1/2 cup parmesan (cheese)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shresded)
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 4 slices bacon (diced and crispy cooked - optional)
- green onions (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine crispy chopped bacon pieces, cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, jalapeños, pepper jack cheese, cheddar cheese, and green onions. Stir until fully combined.
- Spray a 1 ½ quart casserole dish with cooking spray and spread the cheesy mixture in it.
- In a medium bowl, combine crushed ritz crackers, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, and melted butter.
- Spread on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake the dip for 30-40 minutes, or until bubbly and the topping is golden.
- Sprinkle green onions and chopped bacon on top before serving.
- Serve with corn chips and veggie sticks.