Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is a hearty and healthy dish made in a fraction of the time compared to the stovetop version. It is loaded with noodles and tender chicken, and it’s the perfect meal to have during colder days.
This is one of those soups that you will want to eat over and over. It is a warming meal that requires only 10 minutes of preparation time. Then, put everything in the pressure cooker and you will have a delicious meal in no time. Our other favorite comfort soups are Taco Soup, Stuffed Pepper Soup, and Slow Cooker Baked Potato.
Pressure Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is a classic made quickly in the pressure cooker. If you are running short on time, and want a warm, light, yet flavorful dish, then this soup is for you. Using the sauté feature, you will have this recipe ready in less than 30 minutes. While this is a healthy soup, it’s very flavorful and tasty.
The secret starts with the broth. When time allows, we make the broth from scratch using either a whole chicken with skin on and bones or thighs. Usually, we make the broth in advance and keep in the fridge so we have it when the time is needed. Making it from scratch results in one of the tastiest and most flavorful dishes you can imagine.
It truly elevates the flavors here, and with veggies and noodles added to it, it is really the BEST soup you can get. Also, this recipe makes wonderful leftovers. Store it nicely, and enjoy having a healthy, warming meal on hand whenever you please it.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup?
For exact measures, please follow the recipe card below. Also, see the short video tutorial attached.
- Start by sautéing the veggies in a mix of butter and olive oil.
- Add some bay leaves, then add chicken breasts and season with herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Add broth or water and close lid.
- Close and cook for 10 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally for another 10 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, carefully remove the lid and using tongs to remove the meat and place it onto a plate. Using two forks, shred chicken, then return chicken to the pot.
- Next, stir in the uncooked noodles, and then set the IP to the saute setting again. Cook for another 5 minutes uncovered, or until the noodles are cooked.
Can I use chicken drumsticks or thighs?
Yes, you can. Any chicken meat will work fine here. It is important to have enough meat to add to the dish after it is shredded. So any parts you prefer to work just fine.
Can I use water instead of broth?
Absolutely. As stated above, using stock will result in a very flavorful and homemade dish. When possible, we use our homemade version of stock, but store-bought works fine as well. If you want the dish to be on a lighter side and do not like broth too much, using water will do it.
How to make Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker Chicken Stock?
- Place either a full chicken, thighs, bones of leftover roasted chicken in the pressure cooker.
- Then, add some scraps of carrots, celery, onions, bay leaves, and garlic to it.
- Season with salt and herbs as desired.
- Next, add about 3 quarts of water.
- Cook on High Pressure for 40 minutes, then release the pressure manually.
- Strain stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl.
- Cool and store in the fridge for up to 7 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
CAN I USE VEGETABLE Broth INSTEAD?
Absolutely. We love using chicken stock since it gives it a richer and deeper aroma. However, the vegetable stock will work just as well. If store-bought, make sure to use the low-sodium version, so you can control the salt content later on.
Can I make this recipe in the Crockpot?
The crockpot is a great alternative to make this dish. It is also very easy and convenient as you dump the ingredient into it, and let it slowly cook for 6-8 hours. We have a delicious version of it in the slow cooker, and you can check the step by step recipe with video on this link.
Can I make chicken noodle soup on the stovetop?
Sure, can! This is our most beloved soup, and one of the reasons is that it can be done in so many ways. If you prefer a stovetop version, check out the recipe here as well.
Can You Cook Pasta in the Instant Pot?
Absolutely! Making pasta in the pressure cooker is easy and super convenient. I frequently cook Mac and Cheese in it, and it always comes out delicious!
In this recipe, the IP simmers the pasta using the saute setting at the end. This way the noodles are cooked perfectly and are not overcooked.
More delicious soup recipes:
- Cabbage soup
- Cheeseburger soup
- Bacon cannellini soup
- Vegetarian minestrone soup
- Beef and macaroni soup
Can you freeze Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup?
If you plan to freeze the soup, hold off on adding the noodles. Noodles tend to end up mushy and bloated if they stay too long in stock/water. Use an airtight container or quart bags to freeze it. Then, simply use a cup to transfer the soup from the pot into the bag.
After, freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, reheat it. Put some cooked noodles in the bottom of your bowl and ladle the hot soup on top.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
A hearty and healthy dish made in a fraction of the time. Loaded with noodles and tender chicken, and it's the perfect meal to have during colder days.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Total time: 30 mins