Korean Ground Beef is the PERFECT weeknight dinner that is ready in 20 minutes from start to finish. It is one of the easiest dishes you can make, and one of the best homemade Korean recipes to prepare.
We love easy weeknight dinners, and this one is one of our favorites! It is made with ground beef and has the perfect blend of sweet and spicy Korean BBQ flavor in the meat. For some Asian inspired dishes, you can also try the Slow Cooker Asian Short Ribs, Honey Cashew Shrimp, or Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry.
Easy Korean Ground Beef
Korean Ground Beef and Rice is the first dish we make when we crave easy and delicious Asian food. It is fast to prepare, and the cooking process itself takes just about 10 to 15 minutes. You can have your favorite Korean restaurant dish easily made at home, ready in no time. Also, if have some leftover cooked rice, you’ll have dinner on the table before you know it!
You will love this recipe because it is budget-friendly, and uses ingredients that are usually always on hand. You can use fresh ginger here, but since it is not always available, feel free to go with ginger powder. Similarly, you can buy fresh ginger when available and then freeze it for later use.
WHAT IS A KOREAN GROUND BEEF BOWL?
This easy dish has its roots and flavors from the popular Korean beef bulgogi. It is made with ground beef cooked in a sweet and savory sauce, steamed rice, and a colorful assortment of vegetables.
An easy dinner option that is ready in about 20 minutes. This recipe is a favorite around the world because it is simple to make, yet packed with tons of flavor and proteins.
How to make Korean Ground Beef?
This is a simple dish to prepare that requires just a few ingredients. Also, please watch the recipe video tutorial attached. But the general steps to make it, are as follows:
- To make this delicious meal, start by cooking the garlic and browning the beef in a pan. Drain any excess fat and then return to the stovetop.
- Next add the sesame oil, garlic, and ginger.
- Stir in brown sugar, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes.
- Lastly, add some chopped green onions to it.
- Serve warm over a bowl of white rice, and garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onion.
- It’s that simple!
How Can I Make this Korean Ground Beef Recipe Low Carb?
This is one of the dishes that can easily be converted to a low carb meal. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Substitute the brown sugar with a low carb brown sugar sweetener.
- Instead of white rice, serve the dish over a bed of hot cauliflower rice, or mashed cauliflower.
- Similarly, you can try serving it in a lettuce wrap for a fun taco-inspired dish. It is very delicious!
Can I use frozen ground beef?
If you want a quick meal and do not have fresh ground beef, you can quickly and easily defrost it. The best way to do it would be in the microwave or in cold water. If using the microwave, cook the meat right away because some areas may begin to cook during the defrosting.
To defrost in cold water, put the meat in a watertight plastic bag and submerge. To speed up the process, use warmer water.
Can you store this dish?
Leftovers can be sealed in a container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power. Also, it’s best to put leftovers aside before you drizzle sesame oil to it so that you don’t end up microwaving sesame oil.
- After you brown the beef, make sure to drain excess grease that is rendered from the beef.
- Similarly, you could use leaner ground meat if desired.
- Remember that you should drizzle the sesame oil after cooking is done. Since sesame oil oxidizes easily and is not suitable for high heat cooking, try to use it after the cooking is done.
- To make it spicier, use some extra red pepper flakes.
- If you prefer not to use soy sauce, you can use some gluten-free and paleo alternatives. You might want to add extra salt though, depending on what you use.
Homemade Korean Ground Beef
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoon avocado oil (or regular oil)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (or ginger powder)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or chili garlic sauce)
- 1 bunch green onion (chopped)
- 2 cups hot cooked white rice (for serving)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add avocado oil. Once hot add minced garlic, and fresh ginger (if using fresh), quickly stir and cook just until fragrant.
- Add and brown the meat until no longer pink crumbling it with a wooden spoon.
- Drain excess grease, then add brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and ground ginger (if not using fresh).
- Cook for few more minutes until the beef has a shiny color. Mix in chopped green onions.
- Remove from heat, drizzle with more sesame oil, sesame seeds, and sprinkle with extra fresh green onions and serve over hot rice.