Last updated on June 18th, 2021 at 07:08 pmJump to Recipe
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry [Video]
Chicken and Broccoli has all the flavors of Chinese take-out, made in your own kitchen. The tasty sauce gives it an authentic taste. This easy Asian dinner is made, start to finish, in less than 30 minutes.
Simple Asian recipes are perfect for quick weeknight dinners. We have quite the collection on the blog, so you can have variety and never eat a bland dinner. One of our most sought recipes is this easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken, which is a delicious take on the popular Chinese staple. Our Bourbon Chicken is another favorite, and if you are looking for a beef centered meal, definitely try this Sticky Orange Beef recipe.
Easy Chicken and Broccoli
Chicken and Broccoli stir fry is probably one of the easiest recipes you can make. Made with simple ingredients and a few Asian staples, this dinner is quick, easy and tasty. You can serve the chicken stir-fry over rice, noodles or with just a salad on the side.
Since you control what goes in, this recipe is way healthier and tastier than takeout. You can make this recipe with beef or pork, and the stir-fry sauce is so good, you can use it in a variety of recipes. This recipe makes delicious leftovers, that you can pack for lunch and enjoy later.
How do you make a good stir fry?
Here are a few simple things you can do to make a great stir fry:
- To assure that all of the ingredients cook evenly and in the same amount of time, make the pieces as uniform in size as possible.
- Preheat the pan or wok before adding any ingredients. You want the pan to be as hot as possible so the stir fry cooks quickly.
- Similarly, make sure to have all of your ingredients prepared and near the stove, ready to use.
- Add the ingredients to the pan according to their cooking time. Hard, thick vegetables such as broccoli will take longer to cook than thinly sliced vegetables or meat.
- To assure that all of the ingredients have a chance to touch the surface of the hot pan, stir and toss them often while cooking.
Is Chinese chicken and broccoli good for you?
Chicken and broccoli is a great meal for anyone who is watching caloric intake or trying to eat healthily.
Chicken is a great source of protein and fiber and is leaner than red meat. Similarly, broccoli is excellent to eat at any time. It is nutritious and is a slow-digesting carb.
Making the sauce at home ensures that it does not contain any chemicals, artificial colors or flavors or added sugar. To reduce the amount of sodium in Chicken and Broccoli, I suggest using low sodium soy sauce and beef broth.
If you love this dish, be sure to try Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli. It’s another Chinese restaurant dish you can easily make in your home kitchen.
What should I marinate the chicken in for stir fry?
The liquids we use in the stir-fry sauce for this Chicken and Broccoli recipe are:
- oyster sauce
- soy sauce
- sesame oil, and
- beef broth
Add the seasonings, ginger root, garlic, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes. The cornstarch thickens the sauce.
The same sauce can be used for similar Asian stir fry dishes, even those using a different protein.
How do you make chicken and broccoli?
- First, in a bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients.
- If you have extra time, allow the chicken to marinate in the sauce for 30-60 minutes.
- Next, cook the broccoli over medium-high heat for four to six minutes.
- After that, cook the chicken all the way through over high heat.
- Finally, combine the chicken, broccoli, and sauce, then toss to combine.
How do you sauté chicken and broccoli?
- Use a wok or cast-iron skillet.
- Saute the broccoli in vegetable or canola oil over medium-high heat for four to six minutes.
- Don’t move the chicken for a full minute in order to sear it.
- Continue to saute the chicken for seven to eight minutes or until no longer pink inside.
If you make this recipe, please come back to leave a comment and rate the recipe. We would love to know what you think!
Chicken and Broccoli
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 3 cups broccoli florets cut into smaller pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce low sodium
- 1/3 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Sesame seeds
- Chopped green onions
Follow me on InstagramFollow
- Add all the "Sauce" ingredients to a medium bowl, whisk until fully combined.
- If you have time, add the cubed chicken to a large ziplock bag and pour the sauce on top. Transfer to the fridge and marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight, for extra flavor.
- When ready to cook, place a stir fry wok or cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable or canola oil, and once hot, add the broccoli florets. Toss and cook for 4-6 minutes, or until tender. Transfer cooked broccoli to a plate.
- Add the chicken and the sauce to the skillet over high heat in one layer. If needed cook in batches.
- Cook the chicken without moving for 1 minute, to get a nice sear on it. After that continue to cook while stirring and tossing, until the chicken is no longer pink and the sauce forms a glaze, about 7-8 minutes.
- Return the cooked broccoli to the pan, and stir until the chicken and broccoli are heated through and everything is well coated in sauce, about 3 minutes.
- Serve garnished with sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
Enjoy weekly hand picked recipes and recommendations