Instant Pot BBQ Chicken is juicy and tender, made in just a fraction of the time. Cooked in BBQ sauce and broiled to crispy perfection.
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken recipe is one of the easiest recipes you can make in the IP. The recipe is made of a delicious homemade sauce and chicken cooked to tender and juicy perfection into it.
To make it even better, after the meat is cooked in the sauce, you should broil it to make it crispy. We recommend serving it smothered into more sauce with corn on the cob on the side and some mashed potatoes.
WHY MAKE INSTANT POT BBQ CHICKEN?
- First, it is super easy and convenient to make.
- Second, the cooking time is reduced by a lot compared to grilling or baking it.
- Equally important is that the prep time is minimal!
- Also, the result is fall-off-the-bone meat.
How do you make Homemade BBQ Sauce?
We have the best and easiest recipe for you. The sauce turns out amazing and can be used on pork, chicken, ribs or to make baked beans.
- Brown Sugar
- White Vinegar
- Dry Mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Liquid Smoke
- Salt and Pepper
- Hot Pepper Sauce
WHAT IS BEST TO SERVE WITH INSTANT POT BBQ CHICKEN?
HOW LONG CAN YOU KEEP BBQ CHICKEN IN THE FRIDGE?
It’s important to the meat first cool before chilling it. After this, it can be stored in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 days in an airtight container.
CAN YOU FREEZE THIS RECIPE?
- First, fully cool it off.
- Next, add the meat to freezer-safe ziplock bags. Flatten the bags and freeze.
- If properly stored in the freezer at 0 F degrees or less, the pork will last up to 6 months.
- Place it in the fridge and thaw it overnight before heating it up and serving.
What is a 10 minutes natural pressure release (NPR)?
A Natural Pressure Release means that the pressure is released gradually. First, for a Natural Pressure Release, you click on Keep Warm and wait 10 minutes. After this, you open the valve and let any leftover pressure to release.
Another option is to Turn Off/Unplug the pressure cooker, wait 10 minutes and after that open the valve. This method prevents any foam or sauce from the dish to shoot out through the valve, which can happen during a Quick Pressure Release.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Total time: 20 mins
- 8 chicken thighs or drumsticks (about 3lbs)
- 1 cup water
Homemade BBQ Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup (preferably no sugar added)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (or more)
- Chopped green onions
- Add all the BBQ Sauce ingredients to a food processor and process until fully combined. Stir and divide into 2 bowls. Set aside one bowl for later.
- To the remaining bowl, add 1 cup of water and stir to combine. Add to the Instant Pot.
- Add the chicken into the sauce.
- Close lid and point valve to seal. Pressure cook at High Pressure for 8 minutes, followed by 10 minutes of Natural Pressure Release.
- Once done, release manually the remaining pressure and preheat oven to BROIL.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and gently transfer the chicken from the IP onto the baking sheet.
- Cover the meat with the remaining BBQ sauce from the bowl you set aside.
- Broil until crispy.
- Serve with more sauce if desired and garnish with chopped green onions.