Instant Pot Szechuan Chicken is the no-fuss fix for your Chinese cravings! This easy recipe features the famous mouth-numbing Szechuan peppercorn!
Easy Instant Pot Szechuan Chicken
Instant Pot Szechuan Chicken is an easy dinner made quickly in the pressure cooker. This is a hearty Chinese dish, that tastes better than take-out, and is also way healthier!
You get protein from the chicken breasts as well as various nutrients and minerals from the vegetables. Also, you get a lot of deep and rich flavors from it. Being an Asian-inspired meal, it has many spices in it, that makes this recipe quite unique.
All you need to do is to have the ingredients ready and your Instant Pot. No special skills required! Give it a try, and you will see how quick and satisfying this recipe is!
What is Szechuan Chicken?
It is derived from the Szechuan province of China and is famous for its peppercorns. The conventional method of cooking this is by stir-frying. But don’t worry, the IP has different modes of cooking including sautéing, which we will utilize in this recipe.
What do you need to make Instant Pot Szechuan Chicken?
You will need the following ingredients:
- Chicken breasts marinated in a mixture of cornstarch, rice wine, soy sauce, sesame oil, and white pepper.
- Vegetables and spices such as Szechuan peppercorns, fresh and dried red chilis, red and yellow bell peppers, ginger, garlic, green onions, and peanuts.
- White sugar, and sesame oil.
- Some vegetable oil for sautéing.
- Chopped green onions.
Can you make this recipe with other types of meat?
You can apply this recipe to other types of meat like beef, pork, or fish. Just remember to adjust the time of cooking depending on the meat you are using. For example, fish will require less cooking time.
What is Szechuan Sauce?
It is a thick sauce that tastes sweet, spicy, and savory at the same as it sports the different spices that make this dip Chinese. We do have a recipe for this that you may want to check out.
How do you make Szechuan Sauce?
Basically, we combine the ingredients in a saucepan, whisk them all together, and add the slurry. The slurry made of cornstarch and water is what makes this sauce thick. To check out the full step-by-step recipe of it, click on this link.
Can you make Szechuan Chicken on the stove?
Absolutely! If you are lacking a pressure cooker and would like to make it on the stove, you can check out the recipe in this link.
How to store it?
Let the whole dish cool down and place leftovers in an airtight container. Kept in the refrigerator, it will stay good for 4 to 5 days. Hence, you can make this in advance! Simply reheat when needed.
Can you freeze it?
Yes! It can be frozen for up to 3 or 4 months. Just make sure that you put this in a freezer-safe airtight container.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Szechuan Chicken?
- You are free to adjust the level of spiciness that comes with this dish. Simply, add or lessen some of the peppers involved.
- Also, when chopping the vegetables, be sure to cut them as evenly as possible to ensure that they cook fairly at the same rate, without overcooking.
- Feel free to use other cuts of chicken like those from the legs and wings.
- In addition, feel free to swap the vegetables with your favorite once.
- For deeper flavor, add some minced garlic and some ginger to it.
Instant Pot Szechuan Chicken
Prep time: 25 minutes Cook time: 5 minutes Total time: 30 mins